• Jul 13th, 2020 3:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
1352 posts
771 upvotes
Pluto

Some next gen games to start at $89.99 CDN

Ok so don't shoot the messenger. Grimacing FaceGrimacing FaceGrimacing FaceGrimacing Face

Take-Two announced today next gen games will start at $10 more.. who knows who else follows. Hopefully stops at Take-Two Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat I'd love to boycott 2k but NBA Live is just brutally awful, I'd rather burn my money.

NBA 2K21 PS5 regular edition $89.99
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/nb ... 5/14730117

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/365 ... nsoles.php
28 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10229 posts
4510 upvotes
I posted this in the other topic but:

Take-Two interactive, which owns (2K & Rockstar Games) is announcing Next-gen console games (at least for NBA 2K) will have price increases of $10 USD across PS5, XBox Series X.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... -x-and-ps5
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gi-biz ... s5.239929/

2K Sports announced the price of NBA 2k21 on PS5 and XBox Series X will be $69.99 USD.
2K boasts that NBA 2K21 on PS5 and XBox Series X has built for next-gen graphics, and 2 second load times.

USA Prices
$59.99 PS4, XB1, PC
$69.99 PS5, XBox Series X

UK PRICES
£49.99 on the Nintendo Switch
£59.99 on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One
£64.99 on PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X

EU Prices
69,99€ on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One
74,99€ on PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X[/b]

EA Sports announced people that buy the PS4 or XBox One versions of Fifa or Madden will get a free upgrade to the PS5 or XBox Series X version in the first year of launch.
The free upgrade only applies to people going from PS4 to PS5, and XBox One to XBox Series X. No crossover upgrades such as PS4 to XBox Series X.

https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-21/n ... lized=true

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jul 3rd, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10229 posts
4510 upvotes
Amazon.ca currently has an unusual placeholder price of $93.53 for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim from Sega (Atlus) on PS4,
from the same developers of Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware). Maybe they are anticipating the Canadian dollar will tank by the Fall.

https://www.amazon.ca/13-Sentinels-Aegi ... 772&sr=8-1

13 Sentinels is one of the last exclusive PS4 games releasing on the console aside from the inevitable annual sports
games that will still release on current gen consoles after PS5 and XBox Series X launch.
next-gen starts.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jul 4th, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 22, 2017
531 posts
1529 upvotes
People will complain initially but pay it anyway.
All you can do is worry about yourself and change your own actions.
If $100 is too expensive wait and get a price drop.
I'm not thrilled with it but I only preorder 1 game a year on average so it won't change much for me.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1971 posts
969 upvotes
This is when people will subscribe to the EA and Xbox Game Pass subscriptions. They are kind of expensive at the start, but if you game a lot, it will easily pay for itself in the end. Works for me and my needs right now for my Xbox/PC playing. Would love to see some PS5 exclusives get an eventual pc port if I can save money from making another console purchase for a bit
[external link removed]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9302 posts
6617 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't paid more than $30 for a video game in 3-4 years now and with the growing prevalence of free giveaways, steep discounts and Game Pass on PC/Xbox, I don't see myself paying full price for games ever again never mind $90 on a single game. This will be a mostly Sony/Nintendo gamer concern where players may feel pressured to pay that price or close to it due to retailer control and content drip but I don't imagine anyone on Xbox or PC caring about this
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5514 posts
2567 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: I haven't paid more than $30 for a video game in 3-4 years now and with the growing prevalence of free giveaways, steep discounts and Game Pass on PC/Xbox, I don't see myself paying full price for games ever again never mind $90 on a single game. This will be a mostly Sony/Nintendo gamer concern where players may feel pressured to pay that price or close to it due to retailer control and content drip but I don't imagine anyone on Xbox or PC caring about this
I think it still affects Xbox users who play a lot of multiplatform games. I've been playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare for months now, and I'm most likely going to buy the next one close to launch. Without E3 deals, and with a potential price increase for next gen, I'm going to have to be more selective about where my money goes. Or I might have to consider buying the current gen version if it allows you to upgrade to next gen digitally, just to save on that 10 bucks...

Although knowing that first party games are going to be free with GP puts me at ease quite a bit.

This also raises the question about the viability of digital gamesharing for either Xbox Series or PS5. If Gamesharing is still a possibility next gen, and they allow it across generations for games that support Smart Delivery/Dual Entitlement/whatever else other devs call it, then I might be more willing to buy a next gen console while the person I gameshare with sticks with current gen and we can continue to share digital games
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37171 posts
5169 upvotes
Winnipeg
I don't take issue with $90 games on release but I take issue with it been sports game, they barely changes anything and releases it every year.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9302 posts
6617 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Although knowing that first party games are going to be free with GP puts me at ease quite a bit.
This is mainly why I think Xbox/PC players will be much less concerned about this. Outside of the handful of games where you're eager to dive into a MP right at launch like with COD, you'll have affordable access to lots of other recent games which should make it easy to wait for the $90 releases you don't need right away to come down in price. Sony and especially Nintendo only players won't have that luxury and are more likely to be stuck in a situation where they'll feel obligated to pay up to have something to play. At least Sony is somewhat reasonable and will discount games 3-6 months after launch but Nintendo will absolutely milk this for all its worth by selling years old games for $90 with the occasional discount to $70-80
divx wrote: I don't take issue with $90 games on release but I take issue with it been sports game, they barely changes anything and releases it every year.
At least most sports games can be played cheap on EA/Origin access and generally fall in price faster than any other genre. Only the most die hard sports fans will be paying $90 for those games at launch
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37171 posts
5169 upvotes
Winnipeg
^yeah they can charge whatever they want
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3483 posts
910 upvotes
Back to the SNES days of game prices. Except with inflation it used to be a lot more than this for a game.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9302 posts
6617 upvotes
Toronto
goob3r wrote: Back to the SNES days of game prices. Except with inflation it used to be a lot more than this for a game.
except it made sense back then as gaming was a relatively new and limited market with very few options where those prices sort of made sense. In today's industry with so much competition between an overwhelming number of platforms and games some publishers are going to learn this the hard way that no one wants to pay $90 for vidya games
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10229 posts
4510 upvotes
There were more consoles back then than there is now. SNES/Genesis/Turbo GFX, NEO GEO, Sega Saturn, Panasonic 3DO, PS1, N64, all competing against one another at around the same time.
On average most SNES/Genesis games could be finished in 1 to 2 hours or less, and levels and enemies were mostly colour palette swaps.

Production values for games have also gone way up.

Wages, salaries, and with inflation, the cost of living have increased substantially since that time.
Someone earning $60,000 CDN a year would have been considered good income back then in the mid 90s, but in 2020, it is not very good or about average.

The average Canadian income in 1995 was less than $26,000 per person. Whereas in 2020, it is $55,000.
http://www.ccsd.ca/factsheets/fs_avgin.html
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-q ... adjustment.
ReeGee wrote: except it made sense back then as gaming was a relatively new and limited market with very few options where those prices sort of made sense. In today's industry with so much competition between an overwhelming number of platforms and games some publishers are going to learn this the hard way that no one wants to pay $90 for vidya games
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6113 posts
6428 upvotes
GTA
ReeGee wrote: except it made sense back then as gaming was a relatively new and limited market with very few options where those prices sort of made sense. In today's industry with so much competition between an overwhelming number of platforms and games some publishers are going to learn this the hard way that no one wants to pay $90 for vidya games
Back then games didn't really drop prices as quickly as they do now, unless the console was going defunct. If you paid an inflationary $90 then, it tended to hold that value better than today. It dropped at the next console cycle. Also games were rentable back then, saving you from having to purchase it at all. Try to rent something in today's mostly-digital world.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9302 posts
6617 upvotes
Toronto
Games held their value back then because there were exponentially less of them sold at like 3 places that controlled the price.

All I'm saying is comparing 1990 to 2020 is apples and oranges and what made sense 30 years ago has no relevance today. Back then we paid $90 for games because gaming was new and fresh, the technology was constantly evolving and so we paid to be a part of that. In the context of a modern market where there's literally hundreds of games on sales at 50-75% off on any given day, there's no reason anyone needs to spend that much unless they're susceptible to hype marketing and need the newest games on day 1
Feb 24, 2018
726 posts
435 upvotes
I haven't spent more than $20 on a video game since I think 2011, the used or sale gaming market is pretty damn good. If you want something right when it comes out though then out of luck but patience is definitely rewarded I feel.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6113 posts
6428 upvotes
GTA
I would agree that Inflation is the most important factor here. Every gen the prices go up but are relatively the same or even less today compared to some generations. I still remember Atari 2600 cartridges costing over $60 brand new, like for Ms. Pac Man. And there weren't less retailers... Consumers Distributing, Towers, Toys R Us, Toy City, Zellers, Woolco, The Bay, Simpsons, Sears... They all sold video games as I frequented them all. After the Atari crash they started selling video games again, and there were even more places like video game retailers, both large sized and independent. We definitely have more retail choices today because of online shopping, but prices drops happen exponentially faster today on new games than they did then. And every generation people are saying games are more expensive, no one is going to buy them. I still remember the same arguments as recently as the PS3 and PS4. But they actually aren't in relation to prices in the past. A lot of people will pay, just as they did years ago.
I agree we definitely don't have to give in to marketing. That's why I usually use RFD, to get the best deal on those $80 PS4 video games without paying full price. $10 more in price won't make a difference to the early adopters who paid a premium on the system to begin. By the time I get around to the upcoming systems (years from now) $90 will be standard fare to everyone. But I'll still try to find a better deal.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9302 posts
6617 upvotes
Toronto
I just renewed Game Pass for $1 for like the 10th time. They can keep their $90 gamesSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Feb 7, 2018
21 posts
12 upvotes
BC
Well, at least in USD this was long overdue. From 2005 to now the benchmark price for an AAA game remained static at 60 USD even as game development got more complex and expensive over time. Despite the prevalence of microtransactions and DLCs, arguably a US$60 game today holds far more value than a US$60 game in 2005 (4k graphics, open world realism, physics engine, etc that never existed in 2005). And unlike in the past we can actually expect console games to get patched, whereas in the past whatever was on the disc was what you got for life.

I'm probably not going to preorder anything at 90 CAD (unless it's something like a new Deus Ex) but it usually takes less than a year to see 33-50% off sales on Steam and even XBL/PSN. Heck in a year or two you can buy a GOTY/Limited/whachamacallit edition that has all the story DLC included for less than the base game's launch price. I don't even have time to game too much these days so I wait even longer for impressive sales, like the Witcher 3 complete for 21 CAD 5 years after release.

Console gamers - if you set your region to Oregon you can buy games digitally tax-free. Even with the crap exchange rate you will definitely save a few bucks. E.g. if you're in a 15% HST province you currently pay 79.99 + HST = 91.99 CAD. If you buy it tax-free for 59.99 USD you pay 81.55 CAD (as of today) after conversion for savings of 10.44 CAD. That can buy you a combo meal at McDonalds with a coupon. If the CAD rises to say 77 cents US then you pay 77.91 CAD which is even cheaper than the pre-tax cost in Canada!

PC gamers - Key resellers like fanatical and Green Man Gaming periodically have coupons to save you 10-25%, even on pre-orders. GMG now charges in CAD which can be better. Note that the key they sell may actually be for another service like Uplay or Origin or Bethesda.net, not Steam (but most games are indeed for Steam). One time I preordered Fallout 4 for 45 USD using a coupon. Totally worth it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)