Automotive

Some police cruisers sometimes never turn on 100% siren at the intersection?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2018 9:06 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
113 posts
33 upvotes

Some police cruisers sometimes never turn on 100% siren at the intersection?

Ive encountered a couple situations where some police cruisers doesn’t turn on the siren at the intersection? They make a little noise with flashing lights and that’s it. Why can’t they turn on the siren and blast the sound so it’s more obvious like most fire trucks?

I’m approaching the intersection at 60mph when it’s green. And police cruisers makes a tiny sound at the intersection and sometimes it’s not clearly visible and don’t know which direction it’s coming from.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27787 posts
12851 upvotes
Toronto
maybe it's not a 'real' emergency call. cop may be rushing to the nearest timmy for their donut breaks.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1150 upvotes
Sirens are for pedestrians and cyclists. Lights are for motorists. Most people in their car have the music up or aren't paying attention a lot of the time and they don't hear a siren approaching. But cyclists and pedestrians obviously are slower so they need to hear it from a farther distance away and choose not to cross the road, for example.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27787 posts
12851 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.wheels.ca/news/sporadic-pol ... -uncommon/

"....emergency vehicles wishing to immediately proceed through a red light or stop sign controlled intersection are required by law to activate their lights and siren, come to a stop, and not proceed until it is safe to do so. That’s why emergency vehicles will always activate lights and siren at red lights or stop sign intersections."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34552 posts
20596 upvotes
Center of Universe
Clearly a non emergency and the police abusing their authority.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2199 posts
692 upvotes
Burnaby
whether legal or not, sometimes its due to stealth mode...basically don't want to tip off those they are trying to apprehend. Is it worth it if they cause an accident and innocent people are involved?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4633 posts
3169 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
amplified wrote: whether legal or not, sometimes its due to stealth mode...basically don't want to tip off those they are trying to apprehend. Is it worth it if they cause an accident and innocent people are involved?
Thats what happened locally for a group of undercover vehicles. Basically ran red lights without lights and sirens and got caught on camera and became viral. RCMP had to post a statement saying they had to go stealth mode following some suspects.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2199 posts
692 upvotes
Burnaby
bomber17 wrote: Thats what happened locally for a group of undercover vehicles. Basically ran red lights without lights and sirens and got caught on camera and became viral. RCMP had to post a statement saying they had to go stealth mode following some suspects.
Yeah I recall this one https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1323828
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20683 posts
4825 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Shark828 wrote: Ive encountered a couple situations where some police cruisers doesn’t turn on the siren at the intersection? They make a little noise with flashing lights and that’s it. Why can’t they turn on the siren and blast the sound so it’s more obvious like most fire trucks?

I'm approaching the intersection at 60mph when it’s green. And police cruisers makes a tiny sound at the intersection and sometimes it’s not clearly visible and don’t know which direction it’s coming from.
Maybe you should slow down.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8652 posts
1347 upvotes
What does the thread title “sometimes never” mean?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4352 posts
1004 upvotes
Police with lights on and no siren are responding to a emergency. They don't turn on the siren so not to tip of the call they are going . So the suspect does not take off when they hear the siren . All emergency responce are liable if they enter the intersection on a red and get into a accident .
Suspended on May 21,2020 for 90 days by Mars2012 . Still serving sentence .
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11057 posts
7443 upvotes
GTA, ON
bomber17 wrote: Thats what happened locally for a group of undercover vehicles. Basically ran red lights without lights and sirens and got caught on camera and became viral. RCMP had to post a statement saying they had to go stealth mode following some suspects.
I call BS on that one as an undercover officer wouldn't be driving a marked police cruiser. Yes, let's trail our suspect in a big white police car so they can see us. And if it was an unmarked, well, no one would know they were cops. OP is talking about regular marked cruisers.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11057 posts
7443 upvotes
GTA, ON
IMHO this is cops abusing their power. They don't want to wait for the red, so they flash their lights so they can cover their ass if an accident occurs, and then they can use the excuse that they were on a call. It's BS.

If they really are on a call then they'd have their lights on continuiously (no siren as others have said for whatever reason) and definitely not be cursing at the posted speed limit.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
676 upvotes
From what OP stated, I'm not sure if the cruisers had their lights on continuously or not.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
113 posts
33 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Maybe you should slow down.
Speed limit is 60-70mph in the area.
I was able to fully see the cruiser once i approached a couple meters before the intersection. I slammed the brake very hard from 60 down to 10-20. But it was too late for a complete stop.
pfbmgd wrote: Police with lights on and no siren are responding to a emergency. They don't turn on the siren so not to tip of the call they are going . So the suspect does not take off when they hear the siren . All emergency responce are liable if they enter the intersection on a red and get into a accident .
They can at least turn on full siren at intersections then turn off the sound once they make it across the intersection successfully.
Bb0231 wrote: From what OP stated, I'm not sure if the cruisers had their lights on continuously or not.
I believe their lights was on but no siren. I think it was some unmarked cruiser. It's one of those situations where they make a small noise for 1-2 seconds and want to sneak through an intersection. I understand they might be responding to an emergency call. But, at least blast the siren at the intersection. Otherwise cars will not yield.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)