Home & Garden

Someone Charging their Phone Outside my House

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1819 posts
457 upvotes

Someone Charging their Phone Outside my House

So leaving the house this morning, I noticed someone had plugged in their phone to an outside jack to charge.

Took it inside and went through text messages (wasn't locked). Seems like he was talking to his girlfriend and needed a charge at 12:30 am.

Later in the day wife says someone knocked asking if we had seen his phone. She gave the phone to him and asked that he not do that again. Apparently looked liked a street person, possibly having slept in a nearby park.

I'd seen this jack opened before so pretty sure someone had used it before.

Don't think I can turn off the breaker without inpacting other outlets that I need.

Is there anything that I could do to prevent this from happening again?
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8429 posts
5307 upvotes
Mississauga
Put a lock or something on the outlet? Disconnect it entirely?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6919 posts
1572 upvotes
take out the socket and disconnect a wire inside ( breaker must be off) then put socket back in - and switch on breaker , then the outlet will be useless

or put duct tape over as a first instance - if he persists do the above
Jun 15, 2020
57 posts
378 upvotes
That's theft. Something similar happened to me, contractors next door kept using my outlet while they worked on the neighbours' house.

But... if that person truly is homeless, and they don't seem dangerous, or drugged out, I'd consider just leaving it. Power cost to charge a phone is next to nothing, but you could really be helping that person out during some hard times. Not saying you need to offer food to them, but sometimes people just need a helping hand during a rough time in life.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1006 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
ChrissyN wrote: That's theft. Something similar happened to me, contractors next door kept using my outlet while they worked on the neighbours' house.

But... if that person truly is homeless, and they don't seem dangerous, or drugged out, I'd consider just leaving it. Power cost to charge a phone is next to nothing, but you could really be helping that person out during some hard times. Not saying you need to offer food to them, but sometimes people just need a helping hand during a rough time in life.
I agree, it is technically theft, and you can buy something to lock it, but if the guy is desperate enough to use a charger on someone else's lawn at 12:30am, there's a very good chance he doesn't have any other choice. You never know, one day you could be one that desperate.

It really cost you nearly nothing to charge. Assuming a charger uses the full 18w, it will charge the battery easily in under 3 hours. According to https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electr ... lator.html at 0.12c/kWh, it will cost you $0.00648 per full charge. You could go invest $30 + $10 into a lock + labour, but it will take you a long time to recuperate the costs.

On the other hand, if they were doing something like what they were doing to ChrissyN's outlet, like using a high drain power tool, that's likely to cost way more and worth investing in a lock.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2566 posts
2517 upvotes
Ottawa
ChrissyN wrote: But... if that person truly is homeless, and they don't seem dangerous, or drugged out, I'd consider just leaving it. Power cost to charge a phone is next to nothing, but you could really be helping that person out during some hard times. Not saying you need to offer food to them, but sometimes people just need a helping hand during a rough time in life.
This.

It's technically theft, sure, but it costs like 50 cents annually to charge a phone every day for a year.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23454 posts
5490 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn’t do too much, I mean he was warned and hopefully he doesn’t swing by again to charge his phone.

But if he does come around often, then I would definitely lock it.

I really wouldn’t want someone creeping around the house past midnight often. Especially if you have young children in the household.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1912 posts
2151 upvotes
I would disconnect it. Why give him or others that he may mention it to, a reason to swing by your house and look through your windows while charging their phone? Look after your family and your home.
Last edited by maple1 on Jul 24th, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2014
1294 posts
299 upvotes
Not at RFD
Can't these homeless people charge their phones inside a Tim Horton's or at a community center or a library... oh right, Covid-19!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50001 posts
14047 upvotes
ONTARIO
During covid-19 theres a lack of places for homeless people to charge their phones...

They used to just have a coffee to warm up and charge their phone @ a fast food restaurant. But thats not allowed. No dine in... no where to pee, no where to charge their phone.
Think of it this way... perhaps their social worker wanted to call them about a full time job opportunity. But their phone is dead...
Hey they got a interview! Shoot... no tim hortons sink to wash their shirt...

To OP. I saw these cell phone battery chargers @ dollarama. $4 ... and it help me charge my cell phone to 60% from empty. Not bad.
If i etransfer you a $10. Would you buy one, charge it, and leave it for him?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
620 upvotes
DT Calgary
UrbanPoet wrote: During covid-19 theres a lack of places for homeless people to charge their phones...

They used to just have a coffee to warm up and charge their phone @ a fast food restaurant. But thats not allowed. No dine in... no where to pee, no where to charge their phone.
Think of it this way... perhaps their social worker wanted to call them about a full time job opportunity. But their phone is dead...
Hey they got a interview! Shoot... no tim hortons sink to wash their shirt...

To OP. I saw these cell phone battery chargers @ dollarama. $4 ... and it help me charge my cell phone to 60% from empty. Not bad.
If i etransfer you a $10. Would you buy one, charge it, and leave it for him?
I don't think it's about the money, but more along the lines of having a random person hanging out on your property.
Apr 8, 2020
716 posts
467 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: I don't think it's about the money, but more along the lines of having a random person hanging out on your property.
Agree , and if he is a user he could be ok one day and another day "unpredictable"
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
He is homeless, BUT he has a phone... and a girlfriend?

Damn, that guy is doing better than many people I know with jobs !!!!

LOL
1387 posts
1422 upvotes
ON
He seems to be a nice enough person if it doesn’t bother him to leave his mobile phone around unattended.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2119 posts
255 upvotes
aahh...you guys are nice, I bring my laptop cellphone portable battery ..... charge everything....Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5892 posts
1351 upvotes
rural ontario
Better then waking up and finding a Tesla on your front lawn charging from your outlet....
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1281 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
Just shut off the breaker for a week. If they come back in that week they will think it's broke

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)