Computers & Electronics

someone trying to hack my steam account?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2016 10:54 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30728 posts
2572 upvotes
Winnipeg

someone trying to hack my steam account?

So I kept getting email from steam saying someone trying to access from another country using the correct user/pass, it's been going on for the last year, I get about 1 email every month or two. I changed my steam pass multiple times and not shared with anything else, also have 2 factor authentication, also changed my password using my phone, does anyone else get these? Is there an issue on my end?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24677 posts
4954 upvotes
It could be a "hacking" attempt but it's more likely your username is similar to someone else's. They probably type in your username instead and keep guessing the pw or something, thinking it's theirs. I don't think you need to worry that much about steam because even if you get the password right if you're accessing it even from another computer than usual (never mind country) it asks you to authenticate via email before you can actually login! That is of course assuming your email was not hacked, lol.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30728 posts
2572 upvotes
Winnipeg
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 10:07 am
It could be a "hacking" attempt but it's more likely your username is similar to someone else's. They probably type in your username instead and keep guessing the pw or something, thinking it's theirs. I don't think you need to worry that much about steam because even if you get the password right if you're accessing it even from another computer than usual (never mind country) it asks you to authenticate via email before you can actually login! That is of course assuming your email was not hacked, lol.
the email looks legit, definitely from steam, and it says it has my correct user and password, also the country code seems to be from east europe, middle east area. my email password was changed too, and also have 2 factor auth, so I don't know what to do about this anymore, I probably changed it over 6 times already. I googled and reddit have big thread on this over the last 3 years with lots people having the same issue, except nobody have the solution, people even formatted their pc and still getting this.
Sep 9, 2015
280 posts
76 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
A lot of things could be happening here.

When you are changing your password, are you using a newly made-up password or one that you share with other accounts on different sites?

First thing you need to do:
Clean your devices. ALL OF THEM.
A simple anti-virus/malware scan will suffice, but if you are not sure you can always format both your phone and your computer but that is extremely cumbersome.

Reasoning: If there is a keylogger/rootkit/spyware installed, any time you change your password the hijacker will get your information right away. It is an act in futility in this case.

Secondly: Secure your device. Install a firewall, adblock (most important imo), and other security software to prevent anyone from accessing your information. This applies to your phone as well since it can also be keylogged.

Thirdly: Change your password to a new password. Do not share the same password among multiple sites. It pains me to say that I have about 9 different passwords and I can only remember about 3 correct ones and only at about 1/10 websites whenever I try them. More often than not, your password gets leaked EVENTUALLY at all websites some point in time and the server admins will almost NEVER inform you of this matter. What the hijacker will do is use the leaked website information which often includes your email and will try to use that websites password to access other accounts e.g. email, steam in your case, etc. My email got hacked once that way because I shared passwords like that.

For the people who format their computers, I don't know what happened to them but there's a good chance their computer got infected again or they shared their password elsewhere and it just happens again.

Hope this helps.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30728 posts
2572 upvotes
Winnipeg
rainyeyes wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 8:50 pm
A lot of things could be happening here.

When you are changing your password, are you using a newly made-up password or one that you share with other accounts on different sites?

First thing you need to do:
Clean your devices. ALL OF THEM.
A simple anti-virus/malware scan will suffice, but if you are not sure you can always format both your phone and your computer but that is extremely cumbersome.

Reasoning: If there is a keylogger/rootkit/spyware installed, any time you change your password the hijacker will get your information right away. It is an act in futility in this case.

Secondly: Secure your device. Install a firewall, adblock (most important imo), and other security software to prevent anyone from accessing your information. This applies to your phone as well since it can also be keylogged.

Thirdly: Change your password to a new password. Do not share the same password among multiple sites. It pains me to say that I have about 9 different passwords and I can only remember about 3 correct ones and only at about 1/10 websites whenever I try them. More often than not, your password gets leaked EVENTUALLY at all websites some point in time and the server admins will almost NEVER inform you of this matter. What the hijacker will do is use the leaked website information which often includes your email and will try to use that websites password to access other accounts e.g. email, steam in your case, etc. My email got hacked once that way because I shared passwords like that.

For the people who format their computers, I don't know what happened to them but there's a good chance their computer got infected again or they shared their password elsewhere and it just happens again.

Hope this helps.
i will scan with defender and antimalware, I scanned before with no issues
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2320 posts
612 upvotes
Windsor
Are you using a VPN, or some odd Internet provider?

Try going to one of those "What's my IP?" places and see where it geolocates you to exist. If it's saying "unknown", or maybe even "Kazakhstan" or something, then it's just your IP is odd, and no need to worry.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.