Off Topic

Someone at work is eating my lunch on a regular basis - how can I get back at them without getting in trouble

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2017 3:46 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jan 1, 2017
39 posts
10 upvotes

Someone at work is eating my lunch on a regular basis - how can I get back at them without getting in trouble

As the title suggests someone at work is eating my lunch 2-3x a week. Yes, I put a name tag on my food, both on the plastic bag and then on the lunchbox. This theft almost always occurs 99% of the time I get takeaways such as a sushi box or some kind of takeaway. Other times they'll look in my lunch box and nick parts of my lunch such as my chobani yoghurt or up and go other prepackaged snacks.

The higher-ups won't let me view CCTV and they said they'll investigate and despite reporting it in early December, it's been happening again shortly after the Christmas/New Years break. Friends have suggested putting unbearably hot spices or laxatives or something to mess with them but I have the feeling I'd get in trouble.
Any suggestions?
update: I will go with a really hot sauce and put it in one of my lunches, thanks for the ideas guys :) Will let you know how it goes
117 replies
Dec 28, 2010
494 posts
203 upvotes
Well it may seem a bit harsch but someone is stealing from you. Involve the RCMP if management is not stepping up.
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20208 posts
4165 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Put some Epsom Salt in your food. Then monitor who is rushing to the bathroom.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2590 posts
199 upvotes
Markham
You won't get into trouble. Er, I got sick because I stole his lunch?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6589 posts
2030 upvotes
Mississauga
Really spicy hot sauce is the way to go, because you legitimately could eat it.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11951 posts
1717 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Is it just yours or every1 else as well?? If it's just u... uh, oh... you have an office EN-E-MY. So who did you piss off??

I was watching Shark Tank and this dude had various lunch boxes, cookie jars, etc... with some type of vacuum lock with a timer. Just push a button or small dial and the lid is sucked tight. Cannot pull it off. You can set it to a timer as well. You shud get one.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2088 posts
387 upvotes
i would do suicide hot sauce + laxatives... and wait for the culprit to appear
you cannot get in trouble, it's your own lunch and you're not willingly offering it to others to trick them
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10929 posts
5745 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1602 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
well i would start by making sure you give the exact days to management if they wont let you see the footage.

But seriously. who steals a lunch???
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3597 posts
741 upvotes
Like others have said, you could absolutely put whatever you want in your lunch since it's YOURS. If someone else eats it then they'll suffer the consequences.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2907 posts
1406 upvotes
Burlington
Esteban Pirazo wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 8:50 am
i would do suicide hot sauce + laxatives... and wait for the culprit to appear
you cannot get in trouble, it's your own lunch and you're not willingly offering it to others to trick them
In todays legal culture of "nothing is ever my fault" I get the feeling that laxatives could get OP in trouble. I could have sworn there was an actual case about this but I didn't look that hard on google lol.

On a side note, it's refreshing to see something other than Trump/Trudeau related news in OT.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6638 posts
3800 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ex-lax brownie. You won't get in trouble. The jerk deserves the shits.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2088 posts
387 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 9:58 am
In todays legal culture of "nothing is ever my fault" I get the feeling that laxatives could get OP in trouble. I could have sworn there was an actual case about this but I didn't look that hard on google lol.

On a side note, it's refreshing to see something other than Trump/Trudeau related news in OT.
well, it's not like OP would be putting poison on the food... what if he/she was prescribed with some laxatives due to health issues?... i don't see the big issue there. OP's food is on a closed container with his/her name on it, wrapped in a closed bag that is also marked with his/her name... this means the food is off-limits.

an issue would be if you put laxatives on food, and then go around offering people without them knowing what you have done, or by leaving the food around out in the open, suggesting people they can help themselves to it
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4398 posts
518 upvotes
Ottawa
Esteban Pirazo wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 10:22 am
well, it's not like OP would be putting poison on the food... what if he/she was prescribed with some laxatives due to health issues?... i don't see the big issue there. OP's food is on a closed container with his/her name on it, wrapped in a closed bag that is also marked with his/her name... this means the food is off-limits.

an issue would be if you put laxatives on food, and then go around offering people without them knowing what you have done, or by leaving the food around out in the open, suggesting people they can help themselves to it
It still doesn't matter; our legal system frowns heavily on "revenge"/"vengeance" acts. Yes, laxatives can be dangerous to some people.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3885 posts
2371 upvotes
Burnaby
BrandonHobart wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 6:26 am

As the title suggests someone at work is eating my lunch 2-3x a week. Yes, I put a name tag on my food, both on the plastic bag and then on the lunchbox. This theft almost always occurs 99% of the time I get takeaways such as a sushi box or some kind of takeaway. Other times they'll look in my lunch box and nick parts of my lunch such as my chobani yoghurt or up and go other prepackaged snacks.

The higher-ups won't let me view CCTV and they said they'll investigate and despite reporting it in early December, it's been happening again shortly after the Christmas/New Years break. Friends have suggested putting unbearably hot spices or laxatives or something to mess with them but I have the feeling I'd get in trouble.
Any suggestions?
update: I will go with a really hot sauce and put it in one of my lunches, thanks for the ideas guys :) Will let you know how it goes
Use Google to search "refrigerator container with lock"

For example: http://www.containerstore.com/s/collect ... d=10030818
Images
  • FridgeLocker10055582_x.jpg
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs