• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2019 10:17 am
[OP]
Mar 27, 2017
74 posts
12 upvotes

Something wrong with my pear tree leaves

Hi there

I notice some focal discoloration on my pear tree leaves. After further inspection, I noticed some solid mass at the bottom of the leafs that have that kind of issue
well I dont know what is this exactly but it seems like its a solid white mass ( doesn't seem to be fungal or bug stuff at all )
All what I can say that it looks like a disease !
I am going to post some pictures for this weird thing and hopefully someone will be able to identify it and tell me what it the best way to get rid of this stuff.

Thanks in advance
Images
  • image3.jpeg
  • image2.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg
  • image0.jpeg
7 replies
[OP]
Mar 27, 2017
74 posts
12 upvotes
Do you have any idea about how to treat this fungal issue ?
btw that mass behind the leaf is really solid and when you cut it you see a white mass !
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9517 posts
3821 upvotes
Rust is a fungus that has two hosts. It lives on juniper in the winter and pears in the summer. One of the ways to get rid of it would be to kill the other host, i.e., find out where there is juniper planted nearby, hopefully on your own property, so you can dig it up and kill it. Then you short circuit the fungus's lifecycle because it has no winter host to live on. The other options are to regularly spray the pear with fungicide for the rest of its life (and one day it will be too tall to do so) or give up and try another tree there.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2017
74 posts
12 upvotes
lecale wrote: Rust is a fungus that has two hosts. It lives on juniper in the winter and pears in the summer. One of the ways to get rid of it would be to kill the other host, i.e., find out where there is juniper planted nearby, hopefully on your own property, so you can dig it up and kill it. Then you short circuit the fungus's lifecycle because it has no winter host to live on. The other options are to regularly spray the pear with fungicide for the rest of its life (and one day it will be too tall to do so) or give up and try another tree there.
my neighbors have a lot pf them. What if i just cut all the infected leaves now before winter ?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9517 posts
3821 upvotes
DawoodA586582 wrote: my neighbors have a lot pf them. What if i just cut all the infected leaves now before winter ?
The galls look late stage and have probably already released spores back to the junipers. I think you want to grow anything but a pear there. The tree is always going to struggle even if you put a ton of work into it.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2017
74 posts
12 upvotes
lecale wrote: The galls look late stage and have probably already released spores back to the junipers. I think you want to grow anything but a pear there. The tree is always going to struggle even if you put a ton of work into it.
So should i try to relocate it and try my best with anti fungal or just sell it for good?
btw does this disease affect the fruits too or just the leaves ?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9517 posts
3821 upvotes
DawoodA586582 wrote: So should i try to relocate it and try my best with anti fungal or just sell it for good?
btw does this disease affect the fruits too or just the leaves ?
I don't think that you will ever get rid of the rust no matter where the pear is on your property if there is a lot of juniper next door, because the spores travel on the wind a long distance. You can try your best and if the pear is not really growing, it is too much for it. If it is stressed, it won't put out fruit at all.