Automotive

Sonata or Optima

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2015 2:46 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 26, 2008
118 posts
60 upvotes
Saint-Laurent

Sonata or Optima

Thinking of changing my wifes car and narrowed it down between 2011+ Hyundai Sonata Limited or Kia Optima Ex

Anything special to look for? Problems with that generation, feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
59 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2499 posts
1600 upvotes
Calgary
I love the styling of sonata better but Kia has more options. You could probably pick up the sonata cheap as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
haristo wrote: Thinking of changing my wifes car and narrowed it down between 2011+ Hyundai Sonata Limited or Kia Optima Ex

Anything special to look for? Problems with that generation, feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
check which had the most recalls
this may help with the decision
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13408 posts
7661 upvotes
I just checked, as I was looking at an Optima as well.

Only one minor recall for the 2011 model year. Unless I missed something.

Any more thoughts on these cars for the OP's (and maybe mine) decision?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1975 posts
1237 upvotes
I like the Optima's styling better. However, I would buy the Sonata.

For the reason that it is a higher volume car and parts + service (knowhow) are likely more abundant.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13408 posts
7661 upvotes
bizzyseller wrote: I like the Optima's styling better. However, I would buy the Sonata.

For the reason that it is a higher volume car and parts + service (knowhow) are likely more abundant.
Doesn't Hyundai own Kia? Meaning they are likely very similar for parks and knowhow?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Gutty96 wrote: Doesn't Hyundai own Kia? Meaning they are likely very similar for parks and knowhow?
Yes. Same company.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2770 posts
391 upvotes
Mississauga
the sonata and optima shares the same engine and majority of the mechanical components.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 22, 2013
2976 posts
2410 upvotes
Markham
Which ever one you like the styling of. They're practically the same car with a different body.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 26, 2008
118 posts
60 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
Are there little changes or additions on these models for each year?

Just want to be assured that if I buy a 2011 model I'm getting all the same features as the 2013 model
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
5889 posts
2135 upvotes
Space
2.4L engines have a timing chain defect or design flaw. Lots of timing chains snapping on Hyundai/Kia 2.4L engines. Not sure if they fixed the issue in 2011 models but I believe it was 07-13 models.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13408 posts
7661 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote: 2.4L engines have a timing chain defect or design flaw. Lots of timing chains snapping on Hyundai/Kia 2.4L engines. Not sure if they fixed the issue in 2011 models but I believe it was 07-13 models.
Source?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7324 posts
1865 upvotes
Kia looks better inside and out. My friend has an Optima EX and it's been generally trouble free, other than some rattling after a few years. Isn't the Sonata Limited a higher trim than the Optima EX though?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Solsearchin1 wrote: 2.4L engines have a timing chain defect or design flaw. Lots of timing chains snapping on Hyundai/Kia 2.4L engines. Not sure if they fixed the issue in 2011 models but I believe it was 07-13 models.
2011 was a completely different car and engine. Don't know where you got your information but it seems incorrect.
I have a 2011 Optima Turbo and love it. I think the 2016 will have some body changes but up till 2015, the changes are very small and really, unnoticeable.
I have, on occasion, rented a Sonata and I like it a lot. The Sonata is more in line with Camry or Maxima for style and functionality whereas the Optima is a bit lower and sportier.
Now, the real key is, what does the Wife like :)
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 26, 2008
118 posts
60 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
What about the turbo model? are they reliable? im open to both the 2.4 and turbo model.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2007
4672 posts
1931 upvotes
GTA
You should probably also consider the respective dealer networks.....one brand may be significantly more convenient for you (if you plan to service at the dealer that is).

Top