Expired Hot Deals

Sonos Play:1 now $199, Play:3 now $379, 10% off + 5% ebates on all Sonos products

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 1:20 am
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4649 posts
682 upvotes
jgbrown wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 8:48 pm
Exactly this. All your components are connected to the tv and the playbase or playbar are connected via optical.

The app will easily setup the rest (2 play 1s or 3s and sub).

The playbase is similar to the playbar but is used if you are not looking for something to wall mount. My research suggested the playbar is slightly better but I opted for the playbase as my tv is on a stand.
Thanks for the info. I looked into the Playbase but I intend to wall mount my tv.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1327 posts
128 upvotes
Montreal
JustBob wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 8:35 pm
After a quick search, let me try to answer myself. I'd need:

Sonos Playbar
Sonos Sub
2 Play 1 or Play 3 speakers

So your HT components (BD player, PS4, etc...) are connected directly to your tv, and your tv audio (optical?) connects to the Playbar?

What's the Playbase for?

Anyone has such a setup and can comment?
You need to make sure your TV can do 5.1 passthrough. Mine's an older Panasonic Plasma (Remember those?) and it can't do it. As a result, my Apple TV and PS4 that feeds 5.1 sound to the TV would be lost out to a Sonos Playbar + 2 x Play1 in the back setup.

They mention it on the Sonos website also but you can google this
Got Heat?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4649 posts
682 upvotes
backonceagain wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 8:51 pm
Get the Sonos Wireless Amplifier for your current system. Then you get the benefits of Sonos with less of its limitations.

Then you can replace your giant stuff with smaller stuff which is better than Sonos and for less money.
I see there's a Sonos Connect and a Sonos Connect Amp. If I choose not to replace my old pre-amp (as in get rid of it entirely), I should go with the Connect Amp? Which will work with my current wired speakers, but would later allow me to swap those for wireless speakers (cheaper than Sonos) ? I'm not sure 50w would be able to drive my Paradigm Ref Studio 100... Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
Nov 27, 2016
107 posts
60 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:12 pm
I see there's a Sonos Connect and a Sonos Connect Amp. If I choose not to replace my old pre-amp (as in get rid of it entirely), I should go with the Connect Amp? Which will work with my current wired speakers, but would later allow me to swap those for wireless speakers (cheaper than Sonos) ? I'm not sure 50w would be able to drive my Paradigm Ref Studio 100... Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
You know, I don't want to get negative on Sonos on this thread. They work for some people.

But you need to know that you should only go with Sonos if you are prepared to overpay for convenience of just moving speakers around. If your speakers are going to spend the majority of their life in the same place, don't go Sonos.

Instead, get a decent 2.1 system (like a pair of KEF Q100s which are $300 on sale right now, and pair them with a subwoofer), and add a ChromeCast or AudioCast M5 (has the benefit of Airplay for iOS users) through your receiver, and it will literally blow away all the Sonos gear for far less money. If you want a 5.1 system, KEF and other decent audio companies do them as well, but your rear speakers don't need to be anything special at all, so it usually isn't worth putting money into the rears.

If you want a mobile wireless speaker for random use, get one (or a bluetooth speaker) and you can move it around as you please. But for the money you'd invest in a whole Sonos set up, you could get some serious gear that would blow it to pieces.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4649 posts
682 upvotes
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:08 pm
You need to make sure your TV can do 5.1 passthrough. Mine's an older Panasonic Plasma (Remember those?) and it can't do it. As a result, my Apple TV and PS4 that feeds 5.1 sound to the TV would be lost out to a Sonos Playbar + 2 x Play1 in the back setup.

My tv is a 2015 Sony kdl60w850b . A quick search didn't really return anything useful. I found an AVS thread where someone asked a question about Sony (my model) vs Samsung and someone noted:

It's worth noting that Samsungs do not support 5.1 passthrough over optical if that matters to you.

I assume this means my Sony can do it?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4649 posts
682 upvotes
backonceagain wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:25 pm
You know, I don't want to get negative on Sonos on this thread. They work for some people.

But you need to know that you should only go with Sonos if you are prepared to overpay for convenience of just moving speakers around. If your speakers are going to spend the majority of their life in the same place, don't go Sonos.

Instead, get a decent 2.1 system (like a pair of KEF Q100s which are $300 on sale right now, and pair them with a subwoofer), and add a ChromeCast or AudioCast M5 (has the benefit of Airplay for iOS users) through your receiver, and it will literally blow away all the Sonos gear for far less money. If you want a 5.1 system, KEF and other decent audio companies do them as well, but your rear speakers don't need to be anything special at all, so it usually isn't worth putting money into the rears.

If you want a mobile wireless speaker for random use, get one (or a bluetooth speaker) and you can move it around as you please. But for the money you'd invest in a whole Sonos set up, you could get some serious gear that would blow it to pieces.
Thanks, I'm just researching options at this time. The gear I currently have is overkill for a condo and takes way too much space. I wanted to replace my old pre-amp with a Denon X3300W or a Marantz SR-5011, but I'm reconsidering. I used to like having the entire building shake when listening to movies (my neighbors no so much), but that phase has passed. I'd be happy with downsizing/just having decent sound.
Aug 4, 2010
581 posts
72 upvotes
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:08 pm

Does this mean you opted to not have a playbar? Or you have it and live with it?

I was about to pull the trigger in buying it yesterday but my tv doesn't pass through 5.1. As much as I wanted to add to my existing sonos setup it didn't make sense if I wasn't going to be able to achieve 5.1.or 5.0 in my case.
Sep 27, 2015
209 posts
59 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Rankedu wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 5:41 pm
Use the coupon code SIMMONS10 to get 10% off in Canada.
Thanks evades and coupon code worked for me. Now we will see if ebates credit me 5%.
Oct 14, 2004
631 posts
78 upvotes
Victoria
backonceagain wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:25 pm

What about if not looking for a home theatre setup? What if looking for something in 3x bedrooms, an office, a kitchen. etc. Do you have any suggestions for speakers that could be paired with a chromecast Audio, that would provide either better sound, or same sound at a lesser price point, than the Sonos One or Play:1 at $199/$249? Also considering the need for $35 Chromecast for each setup.
Sep 27, 2015
209 posts
59 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Boss wireless setup is cheaper... Check costco
Nov 27, 2016
107 posts
60 upvotes
MikeyCanuck wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 10:06 pm
What about if not looking for a home theatre setup? What if looking for something in 3x bedrooms, an office, a kitchen. etc. Do you have any suggestions for speakers that could be paired with a chromecast Audio, that would provide either better sound, or same sound at a lesser price point, than the Sonos One or Play:1 at $199/$249? Also considering the need for $35 Chromecast for each setup.
If you're wanting sound in five rooms or more, then I'd go with a wireless option. It's going to be the convenient solution, if not the best quality.

However, I'd probably go with Denon HEOS or Bose speakers rather than Sonos, simply for Airplay, Bluetooth, and the ability to play whatever you want (YouTube, audiobooks, lectures, etc). Sonos is just too restrictive. You have to have a subscription plan for streaming music, and you literally cannot play whatever you want through them. To put $$$$s into a sound system and not be able to play what you want would drive me insane. But like I said, they work for some people. People who only use Spotify or the like, and just want decent sound in a number of different rooms.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1348 posts
210 upvotes
Sonos has always been about wireless, multi-room audio. To understand what Sonos does, and doesn't do, it helps to remember that Sonos has been around for a long time. Back when their competition was other whole-home audio systems like Russound and Crestron that occupied closets full of electronics in your mansion. Back when your idea of a music collection was a 400-disc CD changer, when your home network was hard-wired, music from the internet was synonymous with Napster (you were probably still using dial-up anyway), your phone was a Nokia brick, and this device called an iPod was just starting to become popular.

Sonos's idea was, let's rip your CDs to MP3 files, keep them on a hard drive (NAS), set up a bulletproof, proprietary wireless network, and have smart streaming boxes that pull the music from the network and play it on your existing audio gear. Sonos gear didn't have built-in speakers in those days, you connected your own speakers and/or your own amps (they still sell these products, the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP). To control your audio they sold an iPod-like remote control, and their big selling point was the ability to have the same audio play everywhere in perfect sync.

The tech world has changed dramatically since then and Sonos has both kept to their roots but also said "OK, we can do that too" in an effort to keep up. They ditched the hardware remote because everyone wants to use their smartphone instead. They added the ability to use streaming services in addition to getting music from your NAS collection. They added the ability to play music, not from your NAS, but from your smartphone's library. They stopped requiring the use of their proprietary wireless mesh network when people preferred to just hook into their existing home WiFi. They added units with built-in speakers because everyone was gravitating toward little boomboxes powered by Bluetooth and Airplay.

And of course there's lots of competition that has moved into their space, like HEOS and Bose and others. We have entirely new expectations of what we want to do with audio, like play YouTube videos from our smartphones. Bluetooth and Airplay have helped redefine how we move audio around. And now, the use of streaming services has overtaken the popularity of keeping your own offline music collection, meaning that the ability to stream music (or arbitrary sound) from your phone to your speakers isn't just a novelty now, it's almost a given, and that's why it surprises people when they realize Sonos wasn't designed for that.

It doesn't help that tech reviewers pick up one unit of a Play:5 or whatever, review it in comparison to standalone boombox devices, and then say things like "wish it had Bluetooth". Yeah, I wish that too, but the history of Sonos has always been that they are smart "pull" devices, and Bluetooth is a "push" protocol. Sonos has also got the same marketing philosophy as Apple, meaning slick hardware, marketed to do specific things very well, very slow to change or bend to consumer demand, and, yeah, they're... priced to be profitable.

Anyway, it is what it is. I am old-school in that I value the ability to keep an offline NAS collection and not rent my music from Spotify etc., and I want to be able to hear it all over the house. In that specific context, you really can't beat Sonos.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2003
1671 posts
1013 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:31 pm

It's worth noting that Samsungs do not support 5.1 passthrough over optical if that matters to you.
Not true, some Samsung's support it. I have a Playbar and 5.1 passthrough is supported via my Samsung TV.
Nov 27, 2016
107 posts
60 upvotes
Agreed @GreyingJay, it serves a purpose of perfectly synchronized multi-room sound. And should they open up a little on ways to stream, I can see a potential use for some of my own needs.

I can't imagine how many sales they lose by not having Airplay and Bluetooth. But I read somewhere last week that they might work with Airplay 2 when it finally arrives, and if that results in the ability to play anything you want through them, then that will change things.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4649 posts
682 upvotes
After further review, and since I don't need the multiroom stuff, Sonos is probably not for me. I'll probably just buy the Denon X3300W and use it with my current gear (has pre-outs so I can still use my amp). And when I'm done with all the renovating, I can ditch the amp, speakers, and buy smaller fronts/center (wired), and wireless rears since I've read you can just plug a wireless transmitter into the back of receiver.

Sorry for derailing this thread. ;)