Expired Hot Deals

Sonos Play:1 now $199, Play:3 now $379, 10% off + 5% ebates on all Sonos products

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 1:20 am
Oct 14, 2004
543 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria
JustBob wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 12:51 am
Sorry for derailing this thread. ;)
Not at all. It sparks good discussion that those of us sitting on the fence and looking at alternatives would find useful =).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1279 posts
154 upvotes
Yup. My last post makes me sound like a Sonos apologist but in the end we all want to buy the gear that works best for our needs. Sonos, because of its storied history, gets compared to other audio solutions a lot, and then its proponents, much like Apple owners, love to talk about how great it is.

Yes, Sonos is good stuff, but it doesn't do everything for everyone. Don't buy into it thinking it will!
Jun 22, 2006
303 posts
24 upvotes
lrjm wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 7:34 pm
I have no idea what the deal is with me clicking through from ebates then... I've tried different browsers and both lead me to the US site, not Canada. Frustrating.
I found the same thing happened to me until I updated my address in Ebates to be Canada. After that I was consistently taken to Sonos' CA site.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3786 posts
679 upvotes
Vancouver
MikeyCanuck wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 10:06 pm
What about if not looking for a home theatre setup? What if looking for something in 3x bedrooms, an office, a kitchen. etc. Do you have any suggestions for speakers that could be paired with a chromecast Audio, that would provide either better sound, or same sound at a lesser price point, than the Sonos One or Play:1 at $199/$249? Also considering the need for $35 Chromecast for each setup.
I think the main selling feature of the Sonos One is that it's the best sounding smart speaker- as in it has a built-in assistant. However, it's also one of the best sounding standalone speakers in its class. If you're getting a few for around the house, I think this is probably the most compelling multi-room option. I don't think there is another comparable option at this price point. If you have existing good speakers sitting around somewhere and have the space for them, you can tack on an Echo Dot to add Alexa and also wireless streaming to them (or yes, just a Chromecast) but I don't think you can buy anything as good for this price.

If you use the 10% off code, the One is worth the $25 premium, in my opinion. It's just overall newer tech with more future flexibility, looks nicer (touch controls on top), and promises Alexa, Google Assistant and AirPlay 2 in 2018. Alexa is already available if you set up your One as if it were in the US.
Removed external link in signature.
Jan 12, 2007
98 posts
6 upvotes
London
PedleZelnip wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 1:35 am
I found the same thing happened to me until I updated my address in Ebates to be Canada. After that I was consistently taken to Sonos' CA site.
My address is definitely showing Canada as I've already received one MASSIVE rebate cheque for $5 from Ebates.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1279 posts
154 upvotes
So if I were to get a Sonos One, the only way to get Alexa working is to pretend I'm in the US?

The Echo hardware is supposed to start shipping next week, hopefully that's when Alexa on Sonos One will start working as well?
Jan 11, 2004
195 posts
26 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 1:05 pm
So if I were to get a Sonos One, the only way to get Alexa working is to pretend I'm in the US?

The Echo hardware is supposed to start shipping next week, hopefully that's when Alexa on Sonos One will start working as well?
Sonos response on their forums is it will officially be enabled in 2018. But no firm date given.

Edit and to answer your first question, yes you would need to us a US Amazon account to activate and accss Alexa skill.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1300 posts
119 upvotes
Montreal
rfottawa wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 9:48 pm
Does this mean you opted to not have a playbar? Or you have it and live with it?

I was about to pull the trigger in buying it yesterday but my tv doesn't pass through 5.1. As much as I wanted to add to my existing sonos setup it didn't make sense if I wasn't going to be able to achieve 5.1.or 5.0 in my case.
Yeah i went playbar only, no Play1 for the back audio.

Note that if you have a Smart TV and you play netflix or plex directly from it, you WILL get 5.1 audio playback through the optical output.
Got Heat?
Jan 27, 2005
279 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Excuse my ignorance but without me diving deep into the Sonos vs. other wireless speaker systems is it safe for me to assume that Sonos would be an ideal solution for streaming local music (ie. stored on a sever) with limited streaming options but the other players (ie. Bose) may be better for streaming subscriptions?

Tempted to pick up a couple speakers for the basement but am really not clear as to the distinct advantage of one system over another.
Jan 11, 2004
195 posts
26 upvotes
Dangaa wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 4:25 pm
Excuse my ignorance but without me diving deep into the Sonos vs. other wireless speaker systems is it safe for me to assume that Sonos would be an ideal solution for streaming local music (ie. stored on a sever) with limited streaming options but the other players (ie. Bose) may be better for streaming subscriptions?

Tempted to pick up a couple speakers for the basement but am really not clear as to the distinct advantage of one system over another.
Sonos supports the major streaming services supported through their app (limited features compared to casting direct from the services's app). Spotify and Tidal can cast direct to Sonos. Streaming from a paid service is what Sonos does well IMO. I don't own Bose so can't say which one does this better.

Sonos plays local music fine, but personaly I find it really lacking basic functions, but YMMV. FYI Sonos hasn't addressed, wannacry/SMBv1- your NAS must run SMBv1 or Sonos can't access them.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2003
1625 posts
978 upvotes
Keep in mind that Alexa works just fine with Spotify and that will play on Sonos speakers since Spotify offers the ability to stream to sonos speakers. Note that this requires a premium Spotify account.
Jul 5, 2013
224 posts
78 upvotes
NORTH YORK
How does this compare to bose soundtouch 300?
Aug 24, 2012
20 posts
5 upvotes
I stream music from my NAS using PlexMediaServer to my Sonos and it work like a charm.
The interface is not perfect, a bit old, but once the music is started, no problem playing !

Used to have spotify, this really work well, but yeah it is a price service ...

Personnal opinion, but i found the play 1 get alot of music for the buck. Sound well and loud !
Sep 25, 2017
63 posts
26 upvotes
winnipeg
FYI to those who are thinking about sonos, they have said they will be bringing Airplay 2 support to the line in the future, meaning (if you are in the apple ecosystem anyway) streaming anything to any device, without using the walled garden app. pretty excited for it myself, as it opens up the system quite a lot (though i am a full macOS/iOS home so there's that). It's not the same as bluetooth, and if you're not on an iphone/mac it's useless, but its a big step up i think all the same.
Aug 1, 2015
67 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sonos Play 1 vs JBL Extreme vs UE Megaboom vs Sony XB40
Which is the best one to get if I'm gonna be using it in my apartment 90% of the time?