Expired Hot Deals

Sonos Play:1 now $199, Play:3 now $379, 10% off + 5% ebates on all Sonos products

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 1:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1289 posts
160 upvotes
gmanto wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 9:53 am
Sonos Play 1 vs JBL Extreme vs UE Megaboom vs Sony XB40
Which is the best one to get if I'm gonna be using it in my apartment 90% of the time?
What do you plan to listen to?

Sonos is best for streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music), offline music collection (NAS, hard drive on computer, iTunes), and streaming radio.

Sonos Play:1, in its current setup, cannot do Bluetooth or Airplay or line in, so no sound from your TV, YouTube videos or Netflix (though as mentioned above, it's supposed to be coming.)

I would venture that the Play 1 as a music player would sound better than the others you mentioned, but if you want portability, Bluetooth, waterproofing, etc., then Sonos may not be for you.

If there's any possibility that you might want to add another music player to another room in your apartment, and want them to work together, Sonos is your best bet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7148 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Is there capability if I purchased two of them (1 in bedroom or bathroom & 1 in living room), and then play different music on both of them, controlled through my phone?

Is there a comparable Bose or Harmon Kardon model that I should look into as well?
GreyingJay wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 11:34 am
What do you plan to listen to?

Sonos is best for streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music), offline music collection (NAS, hard drive on computer, iTunes), and streaming radio.

Sonos Play:1, in its current setup, cannot do Bluetooth or Airplay or line in, so no sound from your TV, YouTube videos or Netflix (though as mentioned above, it's supposed to be coming.)

I would venture that the Play 1 as a music player would sound better than the others you mentioned, but if you want portability, Bluetooth, waterproofing, etc., then Sonos may not be for you.

If there's any possibility that you might want to add another music player to another room in your apartment, and want them to work together, Sonos is your best bet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1289 posts
160 upvotes
trixR4kids wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 11:43 am
Is there capability if I purchased two of them (1 in bedroom or bathroom & 1 in living room), and then play different music on both of them, controlled through my phone?
Yes, this is the key selling point of Sonos. You could have units all over the house and every one of them could be playing something completely different, or you could have them all playing the same thing in perfect sync. For example at a party. Or any combination in between (say, all the units downstairs playing the same soft music for a party, but people upstairs listening to their own things in their rooms). Multiple units of the same type can also be grouped to form stereo pairs.
trixR4kids wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 11:43 am
Is there a comparable Bose or Harmon Kardon model that I should look into as well?
The comparable Bose line is the SoundTouch series. I think the Harmon Kardon Omni series is also comparable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7148 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
GreyingJay wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:58 pm
The comparable Bose line is the SoundTouch series. I think the Harmon Kardon Omni series is also comparable.
I see that the Bose is only sale for $225 (https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/bo ... 90149.aspx?)

It provides Aux In, BT, and Wireless setup. Is the Sonos still a clear winner because of perhaps quality?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3844 posts
738 upvotes
Vancouver
I used a fast shipping promo code last week on a One and just received it. I actually ordered a second this past weekend after finding the Simmons10 code (thanks!) with no intention of keeping it. I called in today hoping they could cancel the new order and apply the discount on the previous order. Luckily, they were willing to do this for me.

I'm very happy with it- it sounds great and Alexa works very well (after a few very minor region tweaks). Just make sure you set your Sonos profile to USA and use either a US Amazon account or use your existing Canadian one and switch your default Kindle Store to US (Manage Content and Devices - Settings - Country Settings - "Learn more" about other Amazon sites - "Learn about" transferring your Amazon digital account).

From what I've read, US Alexa sounds much better and has access to a million skills whereas Canadian Alexa is quite limited (and will probably still be quite limited when it officially launches on Sonos in 2018). You lose Canadian-specific apps but gain a lot of other cool apps and features. Most music apps (including Apple Music) do not play natively on any Sonos system- this is where AirPlay 2 will save the day when it is finally released. I don't know how to play my podcasts on the Sonos. Spotify works superbly through Spotify Connect (control from computer/TV!) and Alexa finds and plays your Spotify music just fine.
Removed external link in signature.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1289 posts
160 upvotes
trixR4kids wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 1:28 pm
I see that the Bose is only sale for $225 (https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/bo ... 90149.aspx?)

It provides Aux In, BT, and Wireless setup. Is the Sonos still a clear winner because of perhaps quality?
I think the SoundTouch 10 is also available at Costco as a two-pack for $399.

I haven't given the Bose a good listen so I can't compare the two. But there are polarizing opinions about Bose sound quality. My guess based on reviews would be that the Sonos sounds better, but I don't know.

I think the Sonos offers a more rock solid infrastructure (especially if you let it form its own wireless mesh network) but again it really will come down to two questions:

1. Can you live without aux in and Bluetooth? (Airplay 2 is coming soon)
2. Will you potentially be expanding this system to more than one player?

If yes to both, then go Sonos. If definitely no to one or both, go with something else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7148 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Where did you apply the Simmons10 code? Is it still valid?
lhsonic wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 9:54 pm
I used a fast shipping promo code last week on a One and just received it. I actually ordered a second this past weekend after finding the Simmons10 code (thanks!) with no intention of keeping it. I called in today hoping they could cancel the new order and apply the discount on the previous order. Luckily, they were willing to do this for me.

I'm very happy with it- it sounds great and Alexa works very well (after a few very minor region tweaks). Just make sure you set your Sonos profile to USA and use either a US Amazon account or use your existing Canadian one and switch your default Kindle Store to US (Manage Content and Devices - Settings - Country Settings - "Learn more" about other Amazon sites - "Learn about" transferring your Amazon digital account).

From what I've read, US Alexa sounds much better and has access to a million skills whereas Canadian Alexa is quite limited (and will probably still be quite limited when it officially launches on Sonos in 2018). You lose Canadian-specific apps but gain a lot of other cool apps and features. Most music apps (including Apple Music) do not play natively on any Sonos system- this is where AirPlay 2 will save the day when it is finally released. I don't know how to play my podcasts on the Sonos. Spotify works superbly through Spotify Connect (control from computer/TV!) and Alexa finds and plays your Spotify music just fine.
Aug 4, 2010
580 posts
72 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 11:49 am
1. Can you live without aux in and Bluetooth? (Airplay 2 is coming soon)
2. Will you potentially be expanding this system to more than one player?

If yes to both, then go Sonos. If definitely no to one or both, go with something else.
I guess technically you could connect a 3.5 mm audio cable from a Bluetooth speaker to a Play 5. Use the line-in option on the Play 5 and have the audio come through the speaker (and even group them for whole home audio). I personally do not see the need for Bluetooth when listening to music anyway.
Aug 4, 2010
580 posts
72 upvotes
I was on the fence for buying the Playbar as I didn't know if my TV could pass through 5.1. I spoke to LG support and apparently it does. Of course, it's too late for the $150 discount, so I will wait for the next one. In the meantime, for anyone who has a Playbar, any comments on it? Are you using it in a 5.1 (or 5.0) setup? Is it worth the extra costs over some other soundbars?
Nov 27, 2011
382 posts
115 upvotes
NEPEAN
It's interesting that we are able to order and receive the alexa integrated Sonos one from Sonos' Canadian site before Alexa is even officially released in Canada. Was going to buy a bunch of Alexa 2nd gen's but heard mixed reviews on sound quality so I bought the Sonos one instead.
Apr 16, 2012
34 posts
11 upvotes
Montréal
trixR4kids wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:03 pm
Where did you apply the Simmons10 code? Is it still valid?
You apply the code at the payment page. It is still valid because I used it to get a pair of Play 1. I'll return the two I bought at BB. I'm saving $50.

The code works on the regular price. Since the Play 1 and Play 3 have a lower regular price, it works. The BF rebate on the PlayBar and PlayBase is/was better than the Simmons10 code.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2003
1650 posts
989 upvotes
rfottawa wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:16 pm
I was on the fence for buying the Playbar as I didn't know if my TV could pass through 5.1. I spoke to LG support and apparently it does. Of course, it's too late for the $150 discount, so I will wait for the next one. In the meantime, for anyone who has a Playbar, any comments on it? Are you using it in a 5.1 (or 5.0) setup? Is it worth the extra costs over some other soundbars?
The sub makes a huge difference. It all comes down to your budget. If your budget is limited I would suggest the bar and the sub. You can always add the rear play 1s later.
Aug 4, 2010
580 posts
72 upvotes
jakemtl wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:44 pm
The sub makes a huge difference. It all comes down to your budget. If your budget is limited I would suggest the bar and the sub. You can always add the rear play 1s later.
Thanks. I actually have the Play 1s. The sub was what I was worried about. It gets to be very pricey having to purchase both. I am guessing the playbar doesn't offer significant bass?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2003
1650 posts
989 upvotes
rfottawa wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:49 pm
Thanks. I actually have the Play 1s. The sub was what I was worried about. It gets to be very pricey having to purchase both. I am guessing the playbar doesn't offer significant bass?
The bar certainly has some bass but the experience when you add the sub is like night and day. You can always add the sub later or look for a used one.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7148 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
sdreyfuss wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:33 pm
You apply the code at the payment page. It is still valid because I used it to get a pair of Play 1. I'll return the two I bought at BB. I'm saving $50.

The code works on the regular price. Since the Play 1 and Play 3 have a lower regular price, it works. The BF rebate on the PlayBar and PlayBase is/was better than the Simmons10 code.
Nice. There's also 5% ebates offered currently too.
>$200 for them seems much more tempting now.