Expired Hot Deals

Sonos Play:1 now $199, Play:3 now $379, 10% off + 5% ebates on all Sonos products

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 1:20 am
Nov 27, 2003
202 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
rfottawa wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:16 pm
I was on the fence for buying the Playbar as I didn't know if my TV could pass through 5.1. I spoke to LG support and apparently it does. Of course, it's too late for the $150 discount, so I will wait for the next one. In the meantime, for anyone who has a Playbar, any comments on it? Are you using it in a 5.1 (or 5.0) setup? Is it worth the extra costs over some other soundbars?
I just installed a Playbar yesterday and I was definitely impressed by the overall sound quality. I had a mid-range 5.1 surround with a sub bought a few years ago, and while that sounded great, the Playbar excels in sheer clarity. I mostly use it to stream and play my own collection of music and haven't watched a Netflix movie or a Blu-ray yet, but I'm excited to see what sounds like.
May 14, 2007
189 posts
26 upvotes
damngoodcheese wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 9:43 am
FYI to those who are thinking about sonos, they have said they will be bringing Airplay 2 support to the line in the future, meaning (if you are in the apple ecosystem anyway) streaming anything to any device, without using the walled garden app. pretty excited for it myself, as it opens up the system quite a lot (though i am a full macOS/iOS home so there's that). It's not the same as bluetooth, and if you're not on an iphone/mac it's useless, but its a big step up i think all the same.
Sonos has said only to the new sonos one and new products. They haven't confirmed nor denied adding in Airplay 2 to existing products but that would probably have them lose quite a bit of money by enabling it via firmware. This is kind of an opportunity for them to "refresh" their speaker line while getting a big new base of users. Of course that would piss off current users though...
Sep 25, 2017
65 posts
27 upvotes
winnipeg
mvpBosh wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:15 pm
Sonos has said only to the new sonos one and new products. They haven't confirmed nor denied adding in Airplay 2 to existing products but that would probably have them lose quite a bit of money by enabling it via firmware. This is kind of an opportunity for them to "refresh" their speaker line while getting a big new base of users. Of course that would piss off current users though...

Ah, i see, I was taking my info from the event they had a few weeks ago where most outlets were reporting that airplay 2 would come to the line next year, i guess since then they've clarified. Darn, that's too bad. From my understanding, airplay2 is purely software based compared to airplay1 and could be added to all existing sonos but you're right, why do that when they could limit it to encourage new purchases.

that being said, sonos has generally been very good at maintaining their entire product line (as much as they can) updated and releasing features to everything, so i'll keep my fingers crossed hoping for Airplay2 to be released for all both new and old.
Aug 20, 2009
252 posts
86 upvotes
Hamilton
Not sure if this has been brought up or not. I just confirmed with Sonos Rep that if you are looking to add the new SONOS PLAY:ONE "smart" speaker to your home theatre 5.1 set up, you are required to use 2 (smart speakers) you cannot mix with the old speakers!
Aug 4, 2010
581 posts
72 upvotes
damngoodcheese wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:23 pm
....and could be added to all existing sonos but you're right, why do that when they could limit it to encourage new purchases.
Same thing for the Google Assistant. They could very well only include it on the new speakers, but from my understanding, they would roll this out to existing speakers as well (sometime in 2018). I think Alexa is already supported in the U.S.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3874 posts
770 upvotes
Vancouver
bleysX wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:30 pm
It's interesting that we are able to order and receive the alexa integrated Sonos one from Sonos' Canadian site before Alexa is even officially released in Canada. Was going to buy a bunch of Alexa 2nd gen's but heard mixed reviews on sound quality so I bought the Sonos one instead.
Alexa support is here in Canada, it came a few weeks ago. It won't be as fleshed out as US Alexa for a while, probably well into 2018 even when it becomes officially supported on the Canadian Sonos One. I guess they couldn't wait to launch in Canada with the one feature that differentiates it from the Play:1.. biggest shopping month and all. Only Sonos could get away with launching a product with the "promise" of a whole slew of future features.
trixR4kids wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:02 pm

Nice. There's also 5% ebates offered currently too.
>$200 for them seems much more tempting now.
Ebates fine print doesn't allow you to use unlisted/third-party coupon codes on Sonos. YMMV- but always try anyway.
rfottawa wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:31 pm
Same thing for the Google Assistant. They could very well only include it on the new speakers, but from my understanding, they would roll this out to existing speakers as well (sometime in 2018). I think Alexa is already supported in the U.S.
Adding an digital assistant is a hardware feature (namely, you need microphones). Old hardware is not getting Google Assistant or Alexa anytime soon. You can however get an Echo Dot to add Alexa to current speakers with BT or 3.5mm input (which most Sonos do not).
jbredflag wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:29 pm
Not sure if this has been brought up or not. I just confirmed with Sonos Rep that if you are looking to add the new SONOS PLAY:ONE "smart" speaker to your home theatre 5.1 set up, you are required to use 2 (smart speakers) you cannot mix with the old speakers!
That's because it's not technically the same speaker with the same acoustic properties. You can't do stereo or surround pairing between a Play:1 and One but the One will work just fine with the rest of your set-up.
Removed external link in signature.
Aug 4, 2010
581 posts
72 upvotes
lhsonic wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 5:25 pm
Adding an digital assistant is a hardware feature (namely, you need microphones). Old hardware is not getting Google Assistant or Alexa anytime soon. You can however get an Echo Dot to add Alexa to current speakers with BT or 3.5mm input (which most Sonos do not).
Sorry, yes that's what I was trying to get across. I didn't mean they would be changing hardware in the previous line of speakers. The older speakers will be able to be voice controlled, but you will need something with a microphone (Echo, Google Home, etc).
Nov 27, 2011
382 posts
115 upvotes
NEPEAN
Fyi to anyone buying Sonos one instead of an echo, I just got mine and I can't use their Alexa service even though I have it working already on two dots. Looks like it won't be ready until early 2018.
Dec 24, 2002
339 posts
1 upvote
I really struggled between the playbar setup and the Bose SoundTouch 300. Bought both and tested them side by side. In the end, found that the SoundTouch with the seperate Acoustimass 300 sub sounded better, had a better stage And had better connectivity options for me. Eg. hdmi passthrough. DTS, Bluetooth, etc.

The sonos playbar is old tech with no HDMI and only DD. Sounded good but Just didn’t work for me. I have no doubt they will be announcing a new Playbar within the next 6 months with better connectivity options.

I’m really happy with the SoundTouch 300. The whole system while not cheap looks and sounds high end and was a “worth it” purchase for me.

Just sharing my 2cents

Then
May 14, 2007
189 posts
26 upvotes
damngoodcheese wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:23 pm
Ah, i see, I was taking my info from the event they had a few weeks ago where most outlets were reporting that airplay 2 would come to the line next year, i guess since then they've clarified. Darn, that's too bad. From my understanding, airplay2 is purely software based compared to airplay1 and could be added to all existing sonos but you're right, why do that when they could limit it to encourage new purchases.

that being said, sonos has generally been very good at maintaining their entire product line (as much as they can) updated and releasing features to everything, so i'll keep my fingers crossed hoping for Airplay2 to be released for all both new and old.
Here is the sonos forum where the community manager has stated that it is only stated to come out for newere products
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3874 posts
770 upvotes
Vancouver
bleysX wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 7:50 pm
Fyi to anyone buying Sonos one instead of an echo, I just got mine and I can't use their Alexa service even though I have it working already on two dots. Looks like it won't be ready until early 2018.
It does work- you need to set your Sonos profile to US to get access to voice services in the settings.

I assume you mean you have the new Canadian Alexa working on your two Dots. It's got a few Canadian-specific skills, but overall, our Alexa is missing a lot of skills compared to the US. As I've said in my last post below, you can switch your account over to make US Alexa work in Canada. You'll need to convert to US Alexa to get access to the Sonos skill.

sonos-playbar-749-playbase-749-play-1-n ... #p28558159
Removed external link in signature.
Dec 26, 2012
74 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO

FYI, the Play:5 and Playbase will have the support as well.

so really, it's just the Play:1, Play:3, and Playbar that won't be getting Airplay 2 support. they also mentioned that as long as you have 1 Airplay 2 speaker on your network, it'll still play on all your speakers
Oct 14, 2004
628 posts
78 upvotes
Victoria
Thanks OP and others. I finally pulled the trigger. Grabbed one Sonos One and two Play: 1s to put in various rooms around the house. I probably should have just went with three One's for future proofing for voice services, but this will be a good intro to multi-room audio.

Oh, and the 5% ebates and 10% SIMMONS10 code were still both active. I won't know if they stack or not yet, but I'm happy enough with just the 10%, with ebates as just a nice bonus.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7159 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
MikeyCanuck wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:53 pm
Thanks OP and others. I finally pulled the trigger. Grabbed one Sonos One and two Play: 1s to put in various rooms around the house. I probably should have just went with three One's for future proofing for voice services, but this will be a good intro to multi-room audio.

Oh, and the 5% ebates and 10% SIMMONS10 code were still both active. I won't know if they stack or not yet, but I'm happy enough with just the 10%, with ebates as just a nice bonus.
Does the Sonos one essentially remove the need for a google home mini pairing? Meaning that its a 2 in 1, versus the play 1 which is only a speaker?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2386 posts
457 upvotes
Alexa does work through the Sonos One for me, but it definitely doesn't have every feature. You can ask it questions, for example (like "what is the weather?", but things like Flash Briefings do not work. The ability to control the speakers themselves is also fairly limited. You can start music in a specific place with your voice, but you can't have music play on additional speakers once playback has started or play speakers based on a group (e.g. you couldn't say "Alexa, play music downstairs" if downstairs is three grouped speakers). I can, however, still tell my Sonos One to have music play on my Sonos PLAY:3 and it does work.

Alexa integration/voice control of the speakers are definitely still very much a work in progress. Don't buy them now if that's a key selling feature for you immediately (seems as though the firmware will be updated/improved over time). The speakers themselves are excellent though.