• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2021 2:18 pm
Tags:
43 replies
Newbie
Nov 22, 2020
28 posts
114 upvotes
I own this one. I love my sonos one’s but I feel roam does not live up to the expectations. Sound is good, not the best. Lackluster battery life. Portability from the WiFi prospective is not easy, it could be just me, but every time I wanted it to connect to different Wi-Fi, I had to reset it. If your main usage is going to be Bluetooth then there are better products available.
Member
May 19, 2015
427 posts
379 upvotes
Atomix84 wrote: $30 off Sonos Roam from various retailers. Costco includes the QI charger for $250. Not many Sonos offers this year...
Overpriced junk
Member
Apr 9, 2012
395 posts
162 upvotes
I think some people miss the point of this. It's not a Bluetooth speaker 1st. It's Sonos. I have 2 and the rest of my house is also Sonos. This gets used 99% more then any other Bluetooth speaker I've owned. It's always ready and on. I have one in the kitchen and laundry room/bathroom.

When I NEED something portable this is great but most of us will only need a portable speaker occasionally. If a portable option is your primary use then buy something else. My UE boom 2 sits in a drawer as it always did for occasional use. My Sonos roams are used almost daily which in my opinion makes it the best possible option. I also have a Move that gets left outside in the summer and brought inside for the winter.
Newbie
Jul 1, 2021
3 posts
13 upvotes
Exactly. This is a must buy if you have other Sonos speakers in the house. It's basically a portable Sonos Port that will send audio out from ANY Bluetooth source to any/all your other Sonos speakers.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
1872 posts
3980 upvotes
Heads up if you're using the S1 Controller with older legacy products, this product will not work. Wanted one, but couldn't do it without upgrading and losing 75% of my existing legacy products that won't work with S2.
Newbie
Nov 13, 2012
63 posts
35 upvotes
K/W
I have one and our family uses it ALL the time.
Connects with spotify, SiriusXM, etc...
Since it connects with Google or Alexa you can give commands to it.

It gets brought out to the patio in the summer, gets used as a shower speaker. It's honestly one of the most used family purchases from 2021.

The biggest qualm about it, is connecting it to a different Wi-Fi network as inorbit001 has said above. But once you figure it out, the app walks you through it quite easily.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2008
3162 posts
2509 upvotes
Victoria
vodka wrote: Why so?
Don't feed the troll
inorbit001 wrote: I own this one. I love my sonos one’s but I feel roam does not live up to the expectations. Sound is good, not the best. Lackluster battery life. Portability from the WiFi prospective is not easy, it could be just me, but every time I wanted it to connect to different Wi-Fi, I had to reset it. If your main usage is going to be Bluetooth then there are better products available.
It's not intended to leave your home's Wi-Fi network. Use Bluetooth when taking it out of your house.
Newbie
Nov 22, 2020
28 posts
114 upvotes
cooper83 wrote: Don't feed the troll



It's not intended to leave your home's Wi-Fi network. Use Bluetooth when taking it out of your house.
Not intended? It is a portable smart speaker, a USP is the ability to play music over wifi. It depends on how look at it, but if you are buying Sonos, the last thing you want is to play music over bluetooth IMHO.
Jr. Member
Nov 5, 2019
127 posts
136 upvotes
inorbit001 wrote: Not intended? It is a portable smart speaker, a USP is the ability to play music over wifi. It depends on how look at it, but if you are buying Sonos, the last thing you want is to play music over bluetooth IMHO.
The USP is that it’s a wifi speaker when you’re at home but a bluetooth speaker when you’re not.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2008
3162 posts
2509 upvotes
Victoria
Lebon1 wrote: The USP is that it’s a wifi speaker when you’re at home but a bluetooth speaker when you’re not.
Exactly. I’m not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
Newbie
Nov 22, 2020
28 posts
114 upvotes
cooper83 wrote: Exactly. I’m not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
I’m not denying, I’m just saying the WiFi implementation could have been better for ease of use when away from home. Specially now a days when we are away, there are higher chances that we would have a WiFi.
Newbie
Nov 18, 2020
19 posts
35 upvotes
Totally agreed with this. I bought a Roam and ended up returning it. Very disappointing.
inorbit001 wrote: I own this one. I love my sonos one’s but I feel roam does not live up to the expectations. Sound is good, not the best. Lackluster battery life. Portability from the WiFi prospective is not easy, it could be just me, but every time I wanted it to connect to different Wi-Fi, I had to reset it. If your main usage is going to be Bluetooth then there are better products available.
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2013
514 posts
368 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Appreciate the discussion in this thread. If I'm understanding correctly, does this mean that people just leave it turned on all the time, on its charging pad? If you don't get the charging pad, do you just keep it off and turn it on when you want to use it, like with most bluetooth speakers, or can you leave it on because of its supposed auto-sleep mode?

In my case, I have Sonos speakers almost everywhere I want them (I guess maybe I could stick one in the office?), but I could really use something for the shower. No outlet near the shower, obviously.
Jr. Member
Nov 5, 2019
127 posts
136 upvotes
Diakonos wrote: Appreciate the discussion in this thread. If I'm understanding correctly, does this mean that people just leave it turned on all the time, on its charging pad? If you don't get the charging pad, do you just keep it off and turn it on when you want to use it, like with most bluetooth speakers, or can you leave it on because of its supposed auto-sleep mode?

In my case, I have Sonos speakers almost everywhere I want them (I guess maybe I could stick one in the office?), but I could really use something for the shower. No outlet near the shower, obviously.
In my case, I leave it plugged in in my kitchen and use it as a wifi speaker. Only unplug it when I take it to the beach, and flip it to Bluetooth mode.
Sr. Member
Jan 2, 2021
630 posts
1115 upvotes
Does anyone use their Sonos as a TV/movies sound system? The lack of Bluetooth is debilitating, wondering if I should get this for the Bluetooth or just get a cheap Bluetooth adapter?

I already have a couple of Sonos 1s and was thinking of getting a Beam, but to my understanding the Beam also doesn't have Bluetooth...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2008
3162 posts
2509 upvotes
Victoria
TwinkoStar wrote: Does anyone use their Sonos as a TV/movies sound system? The lack of Bluetooth is debilitating, wondering if I should get this for the Bluetooth or just get a cheap Bluetooth adapter?

I already have a couple of Sonos 1s and was thinking of getting a Beam, but to my understanding the Beam also doesn't have Bluetooth...
Why do you need Bluetooth on a home Wi-Fi speaker?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20880 posts
5455 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
cooper83 wrote: Why do you need Bluetooth on a home Wi-Fi speaker?
You might 'Roam' outside your home, and still use the same speaker to play music directly via Bluetooth.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2008
3162 posts
2509 upvotes
Victoria
Jucius Maximus wrote: You might 'Roam' outside your home, and still use the same speaker to play music directly via Bluetooth.
Sorry, I should’ve clarified: why does one need Bluetooth on a soundbar if it has Wi-Fi? The Beam, in this case.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)