• Mar 1st, 2018 10:56 am
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2476 upvotes

Sonos setup for movies?

What do I need to setup a sonos system for movies? A Play bar and a play 1? Is this the best option or are there better out there?
9 replies
Jan 11, 2004
286 posts
173 upvotes
You need a TV that outputs sound over optical. Best if it can do 5.1DD over optical. And either a playbar or playbase.

You can add a sub (sub+playbar sounds very good). You can make it 5.1 by adding two Sonos speakers such as the One or P1.

For the cost there are better options for movie watching for sure.
[OP]
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2476 upvotes
Can I get two Sono speakers instead of the sub? Or would the sub be better than the two speakers? I already have the playbar.
Jan 11, 2004
286 posts
173 upvotes
IME the sub makes a huge difference, adding P1 surrounds not so much. YMMV.

Either way it isn't cheap, but if you have the budget get the sub.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29155 posts
9700 upvotes
TBH Sonos is not really a great solution for movies. You need either the PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR for this and I think it only decodes DD (not even DTS, not multi-PCM, and certainly no HD bitstreaming either). This is simply a recipe for poor sound quality. I'm guessing (hoping) the latency is at least not a problem for movies with the BASE or BAR but it's still pretty sub-optimal. My take on the entire Sonus lineup is that it's just overpriced fluff but if you must use it for movies, you'll need to start with the BASE or BAR units.
[OP]
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2476 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: TBH Sonos is not really a great solution for movies. You need either the PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR for this and I think it only decodes DD (not even DTS, not multi-PCM, and certainly no HD bitstreaming either). This is simply a recipe for poor sound quality. I'm guessing (hoping) the latency is at least not a problem for movies with the BASE or BAR but it's still pretty sub-optimal. My take on the entire Sonus lineup is that it's just overpriced fluff but if you must use it for movies, you'll need to start with the BASE or BAR units.
I already have the play bar from Costco.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11120 posts
2178 upvotes
Durham Region
vivibaby wrote: I already have the play bar from Costco.
Why not just go with a real 5.1 setup. Then you’d have real 5.1 and not simulated 5.1
[OP]
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2476 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Why not just go with a real 5.1 setup. Then you’d have real 5.1 and not simulated 5.1
Because I just bought a playbar from costco for 600 and can get two play 1s for 180 each.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11120 posts
2178 upvotes
Durham Region
vivibaby wrote: Because I just bought a playbar from costco for 600 and can get two play 1s for 180 each.
A legitimate 5.1 setup that is decent would probably be around 1200-1300. Mind you I’ve never really listened to a setup with a sound bar or anything so I can’t compare the 2. Although I want to look into the Dolby ATMOS sound bars since I hear they’re really good
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29155 posts
9700 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Because I just bought a playbar from costco for 600 and can get two play 1s for 180 each.
Insanity. $1k could buy you much better equipment. You wouldn't have the wireless and you wouldn't have the trendy Sonos name, but you also wouldn't be stuck with crappy Dolby Digital and an overpriced/glorified soundbar either.