Sony A6500 vs Canon T6i

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2017 4:51 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
pro's & con's....Fuji has the upperhand in glass for sure. How's their AF and video in the latest cameras? I really wanna try Fuji but I'm too invested into Sony to start a second system haha.
aerok wrote: Oh my, please don't use face detection or eye focus if you're serious about portraits.
I like eyeAF. It's not perfect but so intuitive. I wish it'd pick up both eyes though or everyone's eyes in a group photo.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1283 posts
1053 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote: pro's & con's....Fuji has the upperhand in glass for sure. How's their AF and video in the latest cameras? I really wanna try Fuji but I'm too invested into Sony to start a second system haha.
CAF on Fujifilm X-Pro2/X-T2/X-2/X-T20 is surprisingly amazing... I really didn't expect such performance. Even on older lenses.

See:

Excellent video demonstrating tracking
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
thanks for that demo
bleh basically $2K for the XT2 in Canada ($700 more expensive from the a6300 in the video) :(
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
I don't know if you have actually used a Sony before but if it is good enough for Gary Fong, is good enough for most people.

Skip to 2:55, try to do the same with a DSLR, when the subject is moving.

Face detection isn't like that of a P&S too, you can register upto 8 faces -

aerok wrote: Oh my, please don't use face detection or eye focus if you're serious about portraits.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14528 posts
8456 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I had a Sony with eyeAF, worked well, aerok is probably referring to those times you want to use manual focus point selection.

OP didn't mention vids, for personal, I'd just use a phone that does 4K. Save money and de-noise in post if at all. At the XT2 pricepoint, I'd pay more and go GH5, but then I'd be soliciting paid production and editing my work in APP/AAE, otherwise it's a rich person's toy, even at the A6300 cost, don't forget the pricey gimbal, and or video tripod.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1283 posts
1053 upvotes
Montreal
hdom wrote: I don't know if you have actually used a Sony before but if it is good enough for Gary Fong, is good enough for most people.
Good enough is not good enough when you shoot wide open at f1.2, if it catches the wrong eye, the focus is off.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1283 posts
1053 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote: thanks for that demo
bleh basically $2K for the XT2 in Canada ($700 more expensive from the a6300 in the video) :(
Yes the X-T2 is more than the A6300/A6500 but if you're planning on buy lenses, you save in the long term and they're much lighter.

Fujifilm 56mm f1.2 - $1129,99
Sony 50mm f1.4 - $1849,99

Fujifilm 50-140mm f2.8 - $1719,99
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 - $3299,99
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14528 posts
8456 upvotes
Southern Ontario
aerok wrote: Good enough is not good enough when you shoot wide open at f1.2, if it catches the wrong eye, the focus is off.
Actually, in focus mode AF-C, using Focus Area "Lock-on AF Expand Flexible Spot" allows Eye AutoFocus to track the selected target ie; the preferred eye.
In a situation where you are actively posing your subject and her head is moving into slightly different planes, you can basically choose the eye you want, hold the back button down, talk and shoot, while skipping the step of conventionally moving the focus point.

Granted you make a great point about the lens costs.

As an aside, while you mention f/1.2, there are 2 sides to FF vs crop. Using the same aperture setting... on FF, there's shallower DoF, but on crop, when you want more in focus, it requires less light, which I think is an advantage using modern large sensors where f stop has a greater effect, ie; crop Fuji f/1.2 = FF f/1.8 DoF (I rarely shoot f/1.2 with my 5D+50L, at best f/1.6 and I'm pretty far back from my subject(s))
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4666 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote: Yes the X-T2 is more than the A6300/A6500 but if you're planning on buy lenses, you save in the long term and they're much lighter.

Fujifilm 56mm f1.2 - $1129,99
Sony 50mm f1.4 - $1849,99

Fujifilm 50-140mm f2.8 - $1719,99
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 - $3299,99
Why is everyone assuming X-T2 though? I mean, what about the X-Pro 2 or upcoming X-T20?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
The Sony EyeAF tracks in depth as well, it will pick the eye that is closest to the camera, which is typically what photographers want or like Ancaster said, you can also fine tune in the settings.

However my point is just that they are handy features that may make or break a shot for the average user and not as useless as you make them sound like.
aerok wrote: Good enough is not good enough when you shoot wide open at f1.2, if it catches the wrong eye, the focus is off.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1124 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: Canon T6i is not in the same league as an A6500. On the Sony you can pull out cleaner shadow detail while maintaining decent skin tones due to better sensor and the A6500 is great for vids, and 4K.
You'll also have a higher keeper rate for focused action shots and more to choose at 11fps vs 5ps.
(I'm not pushing you towards the A6500, just pointing out the differences, and it matters less since your subjects are static, I myself shoot Canon 5DIV and 6D).

What's your budget and what kind of portraits/night photography? Lenses are definitely more expensive on the Sony side, compare WA 10-18mm and the basic 50mm 1.8 for either.
There is also a greater assortment of used Canon lenses in the kijiji market, where I've bought most of my L lenses.

Cameras only do so much, composition and editing takes it to the next level.
Im going to say that I am mainly a beginer hobbyist. My other half and I have always enjoyed photography (she used to have a SLR that used film), so it would be a mixed use between the two of us.

My budget would be in the $1000-$2000 range, although if I were to go in the $2000 range (A6500), I would likely stick with the "stock" lens for some time since I wouldnt have much left over to invest. So preferably the less the better, then I would like to get a prime lens or two if that makes sense.

As some have mentioned, Im a bit more keen towards investing in an eco system that I can "grow" into.

I was thinking if I were to go with the T6i, I could invest also in a few prime lenses, then down the line get a better camera body and at least I would have some good prime lenses I can use right away.

On the other hand, if I were to get the A6500, I would likely hold on to the camera body for a while and slowly invest in some lenses much later when funds become available. But if lenses in general are "scarce" or a lot more expensive on the Sony then I may end up holding onto the camera body longer then I would like.

As some have suggested, Im looking into Fuji and it sounds promising. The XT20 sounds like its a good camera that would give me some extra funds to invest in a prime lens or two hopefully.

Video is likely something I would like to look into down the line, but I wouldnt say I want to get into that right away.

Thanks so much for the very thorough discussion, its a lot of good stuff to digest and learn!
twitchyzero wrote: pro's & con's....Fuji has the upperhand in glass for sure. How's their AF and video in the latest cameras? I really wanna try Fuji but I'm too invested into Sony to start a second system haha.

I like eyeAF. It's not perfect but so intuitive. I wish it'd pick up both eyes though or everyone's eyes in a group photo.
This is the main thing I was trying to avoid. I want to get my feet wet in a good eco system to grow in. I dont want to "invest" too much into one system then later regret it.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1283 posts
1053 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote: Actually, in focus mode AF-C, using Focus Area "Lock-on AF Expand Flexible Spot" allows Eye AutoFocus to track the selected target ie; the preferred eye.
In a situation where you are actively posing your subject and her head is moving into slightly different planes, you can basically choose the eye you want, hold the back button down, talk and shoot, while skipping the step of conventionally moving the focus point.
Yeah same on the X-T2, you can select the preferred eye or let is choose the closest eye but it was faster for me to just use the center point, focus and then reframe.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1283 posts
1053 upvotes
Montreal
M1GOmigs wrote: Why is everyone assuming X-T2 though? I mean, what about the X-Pro 2 or upcoming X-T20?
X-Pro2 has some important flaws vs the X-T2 like the smaller EVF and the lack of 4k.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4666 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote: X-Pro2 has some important flaws vs the X-T2 like the smaller EVF and the lack of 4k.
Yeah, but OP specifically said they want a camera for:
taking portrait photography, and I really like night photography as well.
and then:
Video is likely something I would like to look into down the line, but I wouldnt say I want to get into that right away.
Many of us know we're never going to use our cameras to take video anyway... and if video is something that's down the line, then why not invest first in a cheaper body + better lenses, and then when ready to go down the video route, swap the body for a better one...
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4666 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
chillychin wrote: Im going to say that I am mainly a beginer hobbyist. My other half and I have always enjoyed photography (she used to have a SLR that used film), so it would be a mixed use between the two of us.

My budget would be in the $1000-$2000 range, although if I were to go in the $2000 range (A6500), I would likely stick with the "stock" lens for some time since I wouldnt have much left over to invest. So preferably the less the better, then I would like to get a prime lens or two if that makes sense.

As some have mentioned, Im a bit more keen towards investing in an eco system that I can "grow" into.

I was thinking if I were to go with the T6i, I could invest also in a few prime lenses, then down the line get a better camera body and at least I would have some good prime lenses I can use right away.

On the other hand, if I were to get the A6500, I would likely hold on to the camera body for a while and slowly invest in some lenses much later when funds become available. But if lenses in general are "scarce" or a lot more expensive on the Sony then I may end up holding onto the camera body longer then I would like.

As some have suggested, Im looking into Fuji and it sounds promising. The XT20 sounds like its a good camera that would give me some extra funds to invest in a prime lens or two hopefully.

Thanks so much for the very thorough discussion, its a lot of good stuff to digest and learn!

This is the main thing I was trying to avoid. I want to get my feet wet in a good eco system to grow in. I dont want to "invest" too much into one system then later regret it.
As said earlier, I'm biased, but I have tons of fun shooting with Fuji. Part of what I really like is the analog feel. Not everyone wants this of course, but as a hobbyist, I really like looking at my camera and seeing my ISO/SS/Aperture represented on the dials of my XT1+lens. I just feel like I have better control than when I have to adjust using the dials and seeing a digital readout on our Canon cameras at work. Plus, I have my camera and 3 lenses in a small Lowepro sling bag, and it's not heavy, nor does it get in the way.

All of my friends who are currently on the Fuji system love it. And others (except for the few who shoot for a living) get really intrigued whenever they get to play around with my camera. One friend ended up grabbing an older Fuji X30 (it's not an ILC) and another one who is currently on the Canon system is considering grabbing an X-A1/2/3 just to play around with for now.

Any chance you have friends who are on certain camera systems? Maybe ask if you can meet and shoot their cameras for a bit.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14528 posts
8456 upvotes
Southern Ontario
aerok wrote: Yeah same on the X-T2, you can select the preferred eye or let is choose the closest eye but it was faster for me to just use the center point, focus and then reframe.
I imagine you're talking about something else now (speed) because focus recompose at wide apertures shifts the plane and that is when you can lose the eye.

It's why I prefer not to use a 50L on my 6D close-up because I'm limited by it's 11-point diamond. The eye needs to be on one of those points, whereas on my 5DIV, the point can be toggled anywhere in a larger rectangle.

That said, at a faced paced event, I'm more apt to work like you and focus recompose but at smaller apertures where the whole face or groups of faces will be in focus and I'm not worried about particular eyes OOF.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1283 posts
1053 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote: I imagine you're talking about something else now (speed) because focus recompose at wide apertures shifts the plane and that is when you can lose the eye.

It's why I prefer not to use a 50L on my 6D close-up because I'm limited by it's 11-point diamond. The eye needs to be on one of those points, whereas on my 5DIV, the point can be toggled anywhere in a larger rectangle.

That said, at a faced paced event, I'm more apt to work like you and focus recompose but at smaller apertures where the whole face or groups of faces will be in focus and I'm not worried about particular eyes OOF.
I always focus recompose even for individual portraits wide open, never had much issues losing focus even when shooting full frame wide open 85mm f1.8

I do admit that doing that with the 85mm f1.2 on a FF would be risky.
Images
  • focus.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14528 posts
8456 upvotes
Southern Ontario
M1GOmigs wrote: Many of us know we're never going to use our cameras to take video anyway... and if video is something that's down the line, then why not invest first in a cheaper body + better lenses, and then when ready to go down the video route, swap the body for a better one...
The moment I saw 4K video on my 5K iMac, I wanted to get more serious with it and now I'm immersed in Premiere Pro and After Effects. I have a feeling as the prices drop, and as the majority move to a 4K display or TV, cameras incapable of 4K video will go dodo like 720p TVs. I think the XT20 is right up OP's alley. I was the same at one point, no interest in videography. I'm not too happy with the 4K crop on my 5DIV or it's massive MOV files lol. It'll be a personal decision re: 4K or not, but something to consider.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4666 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: The moment I saw 4K video on my 5K iMac, I wanted to get more serious with it and now I'm immersed in Premiere Pro and After Effects. I have a feeling as the prices drop, and as the majority move to a 4K display or TV, cameras incapable of 4K video will go dodo like 720p TVs. I think the XT20 is right up OP's alley. I was the same at one point, no interest in videography. I'm not too happy with the 4K crop on my 5DIV or it's massive MOV files lol. It'll be a personal decision re: 4K or not, but something to consider.
I will say that as someone who doesn't have a 4k display or TV on a regular basis, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade just yet... At work, I also have a chance to play with a GH4, and have used it to shoot B-roll and assist with filming events, but video has never been my thing. I guess because growing up we never really had a camcorder, but my dad was into film photography... Plus I'm too lazy to do any editing in my spare time Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I did mention the X-T20 earlier on because I felt that people are steering OP towards higher end but more expensive bodies, when there are cheaper alternatives that will allow OP to spend the remainder on extra lenses - things that will make a difference down the line. The X-T20 is the perfect compromise between a relatively "serious" camera body that ticks off all of the needs, while also being relatively inexpensive.