Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Sony A80J 65" OLED TV for $2600 (also at Costco, Best Buy + other retailers)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2021 12:18 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 27, 2008
147 posts
125 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Sony A80J 65" OLED TV for $2600 (also at Costco, Best Buy + other retailers)

The Sony A80J 65" is selling for $2600 across multiple retailers starting today. Previously the low was $2800 as a sale price.


I think we may still see this drop lower come Black Friday, but a good price for those who can't wait.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 8th, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated title
136 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4010 posts
755 upvotes
Windsor
For the uniformed like myself, how do the Sony OLED's compare to LG's?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2003
1565 posts
126 upvotes
Awesome! Just submitted for a 200 price guarantee with costco,
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2003
1565 posts
126 upvotes
G77 wrote: For the uniformed like myself, how do the Sony OLED's compare to LG's?
Sony has better "picture processing". Sony has Google TV which is way nicer than Lgs WEBos. Sony doesn't have VRR (they say it will come). LG makes the Panels.

To me, Google TV pushed me to Sony.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
8550 posts
2161 upvotes
G77 wrote: For the uniformed like myself, how do the Sony OLED's compare to LG's?
I believe they share the same panel, but different inner works. Usually Sony has the best out of the box calibration of any TVs, and their motion handling is the best. Probably comes from years of making movies and high end cameras. What it lacks over the LG is support for VRR, but that apparently will be implemented in the near future, and lack of Dolby Vision support at 120Hz, you'll have to choose one or the other and I believe that is at hardware level, so no getting around that. But those 2 features are for gaming purposes only, for TV and movie watching it doesn't matter
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Member
User avatar
Aug 27, 2011
319 posts
688 upvotes
Newmarket
Costco is now selling for $2598 as well.

https://www.costco.ca/sony-65-in.-4k-hd ... 63936.html

On the Costco website, it says price valid until Oct 28, 2021 and based on their 30 days price adjustment policy, if you buy on let's say Oct 26/27. You have until Nov 26/27 to do a price match if it sells for lower price elsewhere, which covers the BF sale.

So, strategically, buy it on Oct 25/26/27 and you should be covered for any price drop on Black Friday sale.

Or alternatively, based on their 90 days return policy, you can buy now and say if it drops lower on BF, get a new one at your local store at the BF sale price and then return it right away as the online purchase. This is a bit more work for those who wants it now.
Last edited by BabyYoda on Oct 8th, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2001
1420 posts
82 upvotes
do i bite or wait for bf
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Member
User avatar
Aug 27, 2011
319 posts
688 upvotes
Newmarket
BB has the last year model A8H on sale for $2199 for those who doesn’t mind an older model. Main difference is missing HDMI 2.1 ports. If this is not a concern, is practically the same TV for $400 less.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... h/14547307

rtings comparison

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10
Last edited by BabyYoda on Oct 8th, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2002
4881 posts
2414 upvotes
tlamm wrote: Awesome! Just submitted for a 200 price guarantee with costco,
If you mostly watch movies the Sony is better because of their processor and color accuracy. If you play games and want HDMI 2.1 features then LG is better, Sony doesn't have VRR yet. They say it is coming but the 2020 models don't have it yet and it was supposed to be added to those too. Sony has two HDMI 2.1 ports and LG has four. WebOS and Google TV is a personal perference but I don't like webos as much.

If you want to game on it and think you'll need more HDMI 2.1 ports down the road then I'd go with LG. If you just watch content and games aren't important then I'd go Sony.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 19, 2005
4672 posts
397 upvotes
G77 wrote: For the uniformed like myself, how do the Sony OLED's compare to LG's?


Note; while this is for the higher end model of the Sony A90J, the sentiment carries over to the A80J as well (minus peak brightness).

TL,DR; LG is a better buy for gaming as it has VRR. So if you have a Series S|X or PS5, and you game quite a bit, go with the LG. The Sony however does have better image processing, so it's better for movies and TV shows. Both are using the same display panels as LG provides Sony with the OLED panels.

All that being said, its not a night and day difference overall, can't go wrong with the LG or Sony, just comes down to whether you spend more time gaming or watching. Lastly, Sony uses Google TV whereas LG uses WebOS, you should watch videos on both to see which one you'd prefer.

Heatware
[72 - 0 - 0]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 13, 2014
594 posts
620 upvotes
Westmount, QC
NightRain wrote: If you mostly watch movies the Sony is better because of their processor and color accuracy. If you play games and want HDMI 2.1 features then LG is better, Sony doesn't have VRR yet. They say it is coming but the 2020 models don't have it yet and it was supposed to be added to those too. Sony has two HDMI 2.1 ports and LG has four. WebOS and Google TV is a personal perference but I don't like webos as much.

If you want to game on it and think you'll need more HDMI 2.1 ports down the road then I'd go with LG. If you just watch content and games aren't important then I'd go Sony.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10
Web OS as a smart TV OS always felt nicer and more simple to me than Android Os, but now Web OS had an overhaul and I don't like it as much. The fact that Android is more open is a big plus. I do have a TV with Android OS, but I have apps disappearing sometimes, message of storage full when I have still plenty of space and deleting cache doesn't always work... needless to say, they all have their pros and cons. I have a Tv with Web OS, one with Roku, and I have firesticks... and I can't say one is really better than the other. Roku is the easiest one to use, Web Os is my favorite, Android is more open so more freedom and the Firesticks are basically Android with that Amazon twist to it.

I can't speak for Sony as I don't own one, but LG's built in player is really good, if you play a lot content from an hard drive that is.

Honestly, at the end of the day, it really comes down to price difference and if you have an OS preference (if you're gonna use a firestick or a shield, then it doesn't matter) and if you game or not. Whichever you are gonna choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with.
Member
Nov 23, 2017
402 posts
182 upvotes
For the people worried about VRR, Sony has finally started to *slowly* roll it out via firmware update on the X900H... Some glimmer of hope for those with the newer lineup of Sony's TVs

Last edited by Ph7nam on Oct 8th, 2021 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member
Jun 9, 2013
427 posts
337 upvotes
Surrey
great tv bought one cat costco in june for $3290. price matched in june when it dropped to $3000. and price matched again in august when it was at $2800.

but yikes this one is dropping price pretty fast.

dont think costco will price match anymore since after 90 days...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2002
4881 posts
2414 upvotes
Ph7nam wrote: For the people worried about VRR, Sony has finally started to *slowly* roll it out via firmware update on the X900H... Some glimmer of hope for those with the newer lineup of Sony's TVs

I can't understand why this hasn't been a consumer issue for Sony. They sold TV's with VRR support (coming soon) and more than a year later it still isn't there. Same with PS5. 8K is right on the box but it can't output 8K at all. They say it is coming later, but when? Why even put features on the box if you don't have them, seems wrong to me.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Jr. Member
May 16, 2010
189 posts
177 upvotes
I purchased Sony A8F back in 2018 and it developed signs of burn in around early 2020. By mid 2020, pixel refresh failed for the last time and developed massive "smudge". We used TV about less than 2 hours per day with low brightness.

I know there are plenty of people going strong with 2018 version and earlier, so we probably got a lemon, but it's a gamble you need to take when buying an OLED.
Member
User avatar
Jun 2, 2017
309 posts
179 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
BabyYoda wrote: Costco is now selling for $2598 as well.

https://www.costco.ca/sony-65-in.-4k-hd ... 63936.html

On the Costco website, it says price valid until Oct 28, 2021 and based on their 30 days price adjustment policy, if you buy on let's say Oct 26/27. You have until Nov 26/27 to do a price match if it sells for lower price elsewhere, which covers the BF sale.

So, strategically, buy it on Oct 25/26/27 and you should be covered for any price drop on Black Friday sale.

Or alternatively, based on their 90 days return policy, you can buy now and say if it drops lower on BF, get a new one at your local store at the BF sale price and then return it right away as the online purchase. This is a bit more work for those who wants it now.
Stop giving me birthday gift ideas! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
IT guy | dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | new homeowner
Member
Aug 3, 2010
250 posts
514 upvotes
North York
Comparison by rtings.com of this TV vs LG C1 ($2,500 on Amazon):

The Sony A80J OLED and the LG C1 OLED are amazing TVs capable of turning pixels off individually to produce deep inky blacks with a near-infinite contrast ratio. You can't go wrong with either, but they do have some differences. The LG offers a bit more for gamers, with two more HDMI 2.1 ports than the Sony and VRR and ALLM support. The Sony is supposed to receive it in a future update. The Sony, however, has better out-of-the-box accuracy, although this can vary from unit to unit.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
8550 posts
2161 upvotes
NightRain wrote: I can't understand why this hasn't been a consumer issue for Sony. They sold TV's with VRR support (coming soon) and more than a year later it still isn't there. Same with PS5. 8K is right on the box but it can't output 8K at all. They say it is coming later, but when? Why even put features on the box if you don't have them, seems wrong to me.
I agree with you on both fronts, but there are some posters furiously defending Sony's practice. You should head over to the Gaming forum on here, there is a huge discussion thread on it, PS5 and their TVs. From what I've heard, enabling VRR on the X900H disables local dimming.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Member
Nov 23, 2017
402 posts
182 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: I agree with you on both fronts, but there are some posters furiously defending Sony's practice. You should head over to the Gaming forum on here, there is a huge discussion thread on it, PS5 and their TVs. From what I've heard, enabling VRR on the X900H disables local dimming.
Yeah without local dimming on their LEDs, the experience is gonna suck. Hopefully local dimming won't be disabled with VRR on the X80j to X95j televisions

Top