Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Sony A80J 65" OLED TV for $2600 (also at Costco, Best Buy + other retailers)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2021 10:53 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
@Ph7nam
It won't affect the X80J, as it doesn't have local dimming Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
CFRTim wrote: I agree with you on both fronts, but there are some posters furiously defending Sony's practice. You should head over to the Gaming forum on here, there is a huge discussion thread on it, PS5 and their TVs. From what I've heard, enabling VRR on the X900H disables local dimming.
Such posters like yourself that toute these features that WILL come via firmware updates over games, you know the thing that actually matters.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
G77 wrote: For the uniformed like myself, how do the Sony OLED's compare to LG's?
personally if I had to buy a tv today I would get the LG and just get a streaming stick. My Sony android was more then the price of the LG and whatever streaming device you plug into. Both use LG panels. I kinda feel that will need to buy a stick in the end for the Sony when it starts to show its age.
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
For those interested in Sony's superior upscaling and natural color, the A80j which has strong reviews dropped in price again.

I suppose to keep up with the LG C1.

It is now the same price as the X95J led array tv, although that tv is still priced at MSRP and hasn't started discounting yet.

The quality is very convincing but I personally am scared about burn in. Even the thought of the slightest that people would not notice. I want a tv to last 7-10 years.

I think this tv is a no brainer for someone who likes to update their tv every 3 or 4 years.
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
hooya wrote: I purchased Sony A8F back in 2018 and it developed signs of burn in around early 2020. By mid 2020, pixel refresh failed for the last time and developed massive "smudge". We used TV about less than 2 hours per day with low brightness.

I know there are plenty of people going strong with 2018 version and earlier, so we probably got a lemon, but it's a gamble you need to take when buying an OLED.
What kind of viewing habits?
Games? CNN or other channels with continuous scrollbars?

What feels like 2 hours a day can easily be 3.5.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
Is it any cheaper in store at Costco? Would love to take advantage of that $99 warranty. Also, does anybody have a stand solution for a large centre channel speaker that sits above the TV on a corner stand? My current XBR4 is strong enough that the front of the speaker stand rests on the panel and the back has 2 legs that reach to the TV stand. I wouldn't want to rest that weight on a fragile OLED panel.
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
smacd wrote: Is it any cheaper in store at Costco? Would love to take advantage of that $99 warranty. Also, does anybody have a stand solution for a large centre channel speaker that sits above the TV on a corner stand? My current XBR4 is strong enough that the front of the speaker stand rests on the panel and the back has 2 legs that reach to the TV stand. I wouldn't want to rest that weight on a fragile OLED panel.
Unlikely cheaper in store.
The extended warranty does not cover burn in.
Jan 24, 2018
127 posts
294 upvotes
smacd wrote: Is it any cheaper in store at Costco? Would love to take advantage of that $99 warranty. Also, does anybody have a stand solution for a large centre channel speaker that sits above the TV on a corner stand? My current XBR4 is strong enough that the front of the speaker stand rests on the panel and the back has 2 legs that reach to the TV stand. I wouldn't want to rest that weight on a fragile OLED panel.
Not cheaper in store. I was just there this morning.

This shelf kit for center channel should work. https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Speaker ... CP4E&psc=1
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
ogcmtl wrote: Unlikely cheaper in store.
The extended warranty does not cover burn in.
There's some debate about that, but I'm not worried about burn-in, as we don't game in the room it would go in and don't watch channels with ticker tapes.
Feb 7, 2013
31 posts
32 upvotes
THORNHILL
Sony TV is kind of over priced
Oct 8, 2021
2 posts
4 upvotes
Hey everyone, I found an open box model A8H 65 inch on floor for 1998.. would you think this would be a slam dunk? I would need to get extended warranty, but my VISA will have am additional year of warranty included with it anyway. Allegedly it was on floor for 6 months.
Oct 8, 2021
2 posts
4 upvotes
BabyYoda wrote: BB has the last year model A8H on sale for $2199 for those who doesn’t mind an older model. Main difference is missing HDMI 2.1 ports. If this is not a concern, is practically the same TV for $400 less.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... h/14547307

rtings comparison

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10

Would you believe 1988 open box with a 300$ 5 year warranty would be a better deal overall than what would be a new purchase from BB for a 65 inch A8H?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Oilers6969 wrote: Hey everyone, I found an open box model A8H 65 inch on floor for 1998.. would you think this would be a slam dunk? I would need to get extended warranty, but my VISA will have am additional year of warranty included with it anyway. Allegedly it was on floor for 6 months.
Check # hours if u r desperate. I personally would never buy a floor display. I did get an open box LG 65BX that was BNIB....$1799 deal at the Source.
Aug 27, 2011
724 posts
2692 upvotes
Oilers6969 wrote: Would you believe 1988 open box with a 300$ 5 year warranty would be a better deal overall than what would be a new purchase from BB for a 65 inch A8H?
The tricky thing about buying a used OLED is the issue with burn in images. You need to see how long was the TV used for.

Also, does the warranty cover burn in? With the warranty is $2288. If the 5 year warranty covers burn in, then I’ll consider it because burn in is the only major downside of OLED and additional warranty nowadays DO NOT cover burn in, so you have to check and make sure it is written in the warranty if is covered; otherwise I’d prefer buy a brand new one.

With the warranty you are almost within reach of the new A80J.

Bottom line, if warranty covers burn in, it gives you the peace of mind and can consider; otherwise no.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1500 posts
2329 upvotes
G77 wrote: For the uniformed like myself, how do the Sony OLED's compare to LG's?
All OLED panels are from LG Display, a subsidiary of LG Electronics. So every OLED whether it is Panasonic UK, Sony or LG is an LG display panel.

Sony has better picture processing and Google TV has become better than WebOS. LG however updates their televisions far more than Sony and LG OLED have all the newest features like VRR/ALLM and 4 HDMI 2.1

Basically, if you care about the best picture and movie viewing only, go Sony. If you want gaming and the latest features, go LG. Plus there is the money factor. Sony usually costs more without any realy justification, honestly.
Nov 5, 2019
174 posts
183 upvotes
Harold91 wrote: All OLED panels are from LG Display, a subsidiary of LG Electronics. So every OLED whether it is Panasonic UK, Sony or LG is an LG display panel.

Sony has better picture processing and Google TV has become better than WebOS. LG however updates their televisions far more than Sony and LG OLED have all the newest features like VRR/ALLM and 4 HDMI 2.1

Basically, if you care about the best picture and movie viewing only, go Sony. If you want gaming and the latest features, go LG. Plus there is the money factor. Sony usually costs more without any realy justification, honestly.
The 4 HDMI 2.1 ports on the LG OLEDs are the biggest deciding factor for me. Everyone else has decided to put a max of two and uses one of them as the eARC.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
BabyYoda wrote: Costco is now selling for $2598 as well.

https://www.costco.ca/sony-65-in.-4k-hd ... 63936.html

On the Costco website, it says price valid until Oct 28, 2021 and based on their 30 days price adjustment policy, if you buy on let's say Oct 26/27. You have until Nov 26/27 to do a price match if it sells for lower price elsewhere, which covers the BF sale.

So, strategically, buy it on Oct 25/26/27 and you should be covered for any price drop on Black Friday sale.

Or alternatively, based on their 90 days return policy, you can buy now and say if it drops lower on BF, get a new one at your local store at the BF sale price and then return it right away as the online purchase. This is a bit more work for those who wants it now.
Good advice. Specially since BF prices typically goes on a few days before.
Last edited by SPARTACVS on Oct 30th, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pourquoi pas?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)