Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Sony A80J 65" OLED TV for $2600 (also at Costco, Best Buy + other retailers)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2021 10:53 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7616 posts
5697 upvotes
Ottawa
ogcmtl wrote: Perhaps invest in a power surge protector...
I think the same thing. That’s not normal.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1468 posts
134 upvotes
got my 77" sony a80j and the picture was jaw dropping right off the bat. It was on standard setting and windows 10 feet away on the sides. Vivid was way too much. Try an 8k video on Y-tube to test.
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
2119 posts
763 upvotes
Thornhill
hammer wrote: got my 77" sony a80j and the picture was jaw dropping right off the bat. It was on standard setting and windows 10 feet away on the sides. Vivid was way too much. Try an 8k video on Y-tube to test.
Please don’t. You bought a 4K TV not a 8K TV and it will not do the TV justice.

Go to a site like https://4kmedia.org/and download HDR, HDR10 sample videos and put them on a USB stick to play on TV.
Ahhh Papoy
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1396 upvotes
Lévis
hammer wrote: got my 77" sony a80j and the picture was jaw dropping right off the bat. It was on standard setting and windows 10 feet away on the sides. Vivid was way too much. Try an 8k video on Y-tube to test.
cruisn76 wrote: Please don’t. You bought a 4K TV not a 8K TV and it will not do the TV justice.

Go to a site like https://4kmedia.org/and download HDR, HDR10 sample videos and put them on a USB stick to play on TV.
Or buy some 4k movies or documentaries that are technically top rated for their image to test it. I don't know for for 4K but for blu-ray, I know that Tintin and the remastered version of Lawrence of arabia are good for that.
Pourquoi pas?
Apr 23, 2015
439 posts
470 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Sony has clown show level of software support. Avoid it like the plague and get an LG instead:

Awful communication, introduces terrible tv breaking bugs with each update, can't deliver promised features, etc., etc.. LG is miles better, even Samsung (for non OLED).
Apr 11, 2011
416 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
Interesting and strange .. thanks ;)
Sounds like something is off, I will keep "breaking it" and do more research about it ...

I don't think my eyes are the problem since I usually set my monitors and TVs to standard and I'm not a big fan of high brightness ..
Everytime my wife shows me her phone I feel like my eyes will burn because her brightness is so high ..
I usually set my Pc monitor at around 33% of max brightness
Aug 27, 2011
724 posts
2692 upvotes
I’m having some kind of a buyers remorse with the OLED. Just afraid of burn in and throwing away $3k after 5 years. I am thinking of switching to the X95J instead.

I have not received the TV yet, delivery is Friday. Do you guys think I can switch to the X95J without losing the $350 promo? I already received the code actually.

I don’t plan on using this TV a lot, maybe like 15-20 hours a week, max. The A80J is actually for the bedroom. Mostly watch a movie on weekend, some hockey and soccer and maybe a few NHL video games a week.

Do you think I’m over worry about the burn in issue based on my usage pattern? I am still using the 40” Sony Bravia from 2003, which is going strong, no issues whatsoever but wife wants a better TV. We have a X950G in the living room which the kids mostly use to watch their stuff and that TV is running great.
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
BabyYoda wrote: Do you think I’m over worry about the burn in issue based on my usage pattern? I am still using the 40” Sony Bravia from 2003, which is going strong, no issues whatsoever but wife wants a better TV. We have a X950G in the living room which the kids mostly use to watch their stuff and that TV is running great.
Yes, but at the same time, I do not expect a TV to last 10 years. Anything over 5 years is bonus.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2136 posts
1933 upvotes
not sure if this was ever mentioned on this thread, nice feature with the purchase of a Bravia XR

Free 5 or 10 Imax Enhanced DTS movies and unlimited streaming for 12 or 24 months depending on the TV model (OLED and large size qualify for the higher offer)

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/bravia-core
dadadada.png
Dec 8, 2009
678 posts
441 upvotes
Edmonton
ogcmtl wrote: Perhaps invest in a power surge protector...
I've never used a tv without a good surge protector, I'd never plug something in worth $1k+ without one. Bare in mind I've had a lot of tv's, most of them still work (including my Panasonic ST60, Sony X800D, etc.).
Dec 8, 2009
678 posts
441 upvotes
Edmonton
BabyYoda wrote: I’m having some kind of a buyers remorse with the OLED. Just afraid of burn in and throwing away $3k after 5 years. I am thinking of switching to the X95J instead.

I have not received the TV yet, delivery is Friday. Do you guys think I can switch to the X95J without losing the $350 promo? I already received the code actually.

I don’t plan on using this TV a lot, maybe like 15-20 hours a week, max. The A80J is actually for the bedroom. Mostly watch a movie on weekend, some hockey and soccer and maybe a few NHL video games a week.

Do you think I’m over worry about the burn in issue based on my usage pattern? I am still using the 40” Sony Bravia from 2003, which is going strong, no issues whatsoever but wife wants a better TV. We have a X950G in the living room which the kids mostly use to watch their stuff and that TV is running great.

I can't tell you if you'll get burn-in or not, but so far my C8 does not have any burn-in after 2+ years of use.

According to RTINGS the X95J it is a slight downgrade from the X950H, but it has HDMI 2.1 so it's better for gaming. I've also heard on AVSforums that some units have uniformity issues (something similar to VBE that effects 2020/2021 OLED panels).

I've compared my X950G to my friends X950H, which apparently looks similar to the X95J, and found the X950G looks slightly better due to it's higher native contrast.

If I were you I'd wait for a better deal on the X95J. It very recently came out (it was delayed this year) so there's plenty of room for discounts on it (perhaps $1999 or even $1799 by BF/BD).

Although, considering you won't use the TV much, why not get something even cheaper like the X90J?
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
Killmassacre wrote: I can't tell you if you'll get burn-in or not, but so far my C8 does not have any burn-in after 2+ years of use.

According to RTINGS the X95J it is a slight downgrade from the X950H, but it has HDMI 2.1 so it's better for gaming. I've also heard on AVSforums that some units have uniformity issues (something similar to VBE that effects 2020/2021 OLED panels).

I've compared my X950G to my friends X950H, which apparently looks similar to the X95J, and found the X950G looks slightly better due to it's higher native contrast.

If I were you I'd wait for a better deal on the X95J. It very recently came out (it was delayed this year) so there's plenty of room for discounts on it (perhaps $1999 or even $1799 by BF/BD).

Although, considering you won't use the TV much, why not get something even cheaper like the X90J?
i believe that the x90j has better contrast due to the fact the x95j wide x angle feature reduces the contrast a bit.
Mar 5, 2014
124 posts
251 upvotes
What is with all these ridiculously high priced tv's? Just take my blood ...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
DrDigit wrote: What is with all these ridiculously high priced tv's? Just take my blood ...
Agreed. Bonanza reruns look quite decent on my trusty RCA Victor console tv.

In fairness, a basic 20" colour tv in the mid-80s was $500 - or roughly $1100 today - and a 26" Sony Trinitron was around double that. The best of technology has always costed more. And in today's world, if you don't want the best of what is on the market, there are always affordable options.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1655 posts
230 upvotes
North West Ontario
DrDigit wrote: What is with all these ridiculously high priced tv's? Just take my blood ...
Buy one that fits your budget.
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
tlamm wrote: Buy one that fits your budget.
There are excellent options in the TCL 6 series and Hisense.
Jun 2, 2005
279 posts
111 upvotes
BabyYoda wrote: I’m having some kind of a buyers remorse with the OLED. Just afraid of burn in and throwing away $3k after 5 years. I am thinking of switching to the X95J instead.

I just purchased my first OLED but not worried about burn-in. I looked at various late model OLEDs at the stores and don't see any signs of burn-in, but of course maybe they would have swapped them out. Talked to various owners of recent OLEDs (last 2 years) and virtually none of them report any burn-in. My feeling is unless you have a fairly extreme case of static images, like watching a stock ticker channel all the time, then maybe you should consider LCD. Other than that, I find the OLED picture far superior to the Sony X90J that I also purchased for my other room, that is very bright at time. Actually, after setting both up I thought I should have gone with OLED on both since the OLED was a lot brighter than I expected. The OLED picture is so much nicer if you are watching movies or other 4K content and picky about the picture quality
Dec 8, 2017
676 posts
330 upvotes
I just pulled the trigger on the Sony A80J OLED 55' TV. I had hoped to pick it up at Costco in person, but it wasn't in stock anywhere in Ottawa, so I went ahead and ordered it online. Today is the last day of the "sale" and it is 29 days until black friday, so I am hoping that if it goes lower I can price adjust.

I hope I made the right decision, I've never spent this much on a TV. I watch a lot of movies, especially 4Ks and I can't wait to try it out!
Mar 4, 2006
423 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
bubaglobalj wrote: I just pulled the trigger on the Sony A80J OLED 55' TV. I had hoped to pick it up at Costco in person, but it wasn't in stock anywhere in Ottawa, so I went ahead and ordered it online. Today is the last day of the "sale" and it is 29 days until black friday, so I am hoping that if it goes lower I can price adjust.

I hope I made the right decision, I've never spent this much on a TV. I watch a lot of movies, especially 4Ks and I can't wait to try it out!
I have the 65” version of the same TV and bought it for $100 more than the current sale price. I can assure you that you made the right decision…. Now if only I could get it to play nice with the Harmony remote.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)