• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2009 9:18 pm
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote

Sony Canada Sucks, need some advice...

My fellow RFDer, I need some advice.

I purchased a Sony DSC-T20 Camera over a year ago. It is now out of warranty. My camera now suffer form a image stabilization system failure that caused the camera to vibrate and makes the camera useless.

This issue had been well documented and T20 had been recalled worldwide. However the serial number of my camera does not fall within the range or the recall in Canada.

Link to recall notice

I contacted Sony Canada first via e-mail and then via the phone. Basically they will not cover my camera under warranty and Sony Canada is extremely bureaucratic and arrogant through out the process.

So, what are my options?

1. Send an e-mail to upper management at Sony Canada?

2. Use my VISA extended warranty. I will have to pay first and no guarantee that it will be covered.

3. Never buy Sony product again, and warn as many people as I can.

Maybe make a dramatic video of microwave it or smash it with a hammer, or ran it over by a car? Then post it on Youtube?

Some advice and suggestion as to what to do is greatly appreciate it.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5319 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
All the above !! :lol: :cheesygri

Yeah I use to be a big sony suporter but would not recomend much by them anymore, especialy tv's when you can get the same thing in a samsung for much less since samsung provides the panels for most of there lcd products now for the last 2-4 years now.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4406 posts
489 upvotes
ibinlurking wrote: My fellow RFDer, I need some advice.

I purchased a Sony DSC-T20 Camera over a year ago. It is now out of warranty. My camera now suffer form a image stabilization system failure that caused the camera to vibrate and makes the camera useless.

This issue had been well documented and T20 had been recalled worldwide. However the serial number of my camera does not fall within the range or the recall in Canada.

Link to recall notice

I contacted Sony Canada first via e-mail and then via the form. Basically they will not cover my camera under warranty and Sony Canada is extremely bureaucratic and arrogant through out the process.

So, what are my options?

1. Send an e-mail to upper management at Sony Canada?

2. Use my VISA extended warranty. I will have to pay first and no guarantee that it will be covered.

3. Never buy Sony product again, and warn as many people as I can.

Maybe make a dramatic video of microwave it or smash it with a hammer, or ran it over by a car? Then post it on Youtube?

Some advice and suggestion as to what to do is greatly appreciate it.
Forward your emails and all the info to the toronto star. In the business section i believe there is a columnist who helps with matters pertaining to customer grievances like this. I managed to get my out of warranty PS3 fixed for free, and i saved almost $200. Good Luck!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47362 posts
7927 upvotes
Richmond Hill
terrybear wrote: All the above !! :lol: :cheesygri

Yeah I use to be a big sony suporter but would not recomend much by them anymore, especialy tv's when you can get the same thing in a samsung for much less since samsung provides the panels for most of there lcd products now for the last 2-4 years now.
I don't know about you but Samsung TVs are more expensive than Sony TVs if you compare like with like.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote
zzz3 wrote: Forward your emails and all the info to the toronto star. In the business section i believe there is a columnist who helps with matters pertaining to customer grievances like this. I managed to get my out of warranty PS3 fixed for free, and i saved almost $200. Good Luck!
Do you still have the e-mail to that Toronto Star columnist?

I might give this a try before I go for the "big bang" video route.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote
terrybear wrote: All the above !! :lol: :cheesygri

My last Samsung laser printer lasted over 6 years. It had to be replaced because I can no longer buy the toner cartridge at my local store. Can't say much about LG, but Samsung have come a long way it terms of making quality products.

Nikon D70 had the famous Green Light of Death (GLOD) recall. Took them awhile to fix my camera, but at least they fixed it for free and paid for the shipping both ways.

Sony on the other hand got poor customer service to go with their poor quality.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4934 posts
1933 upvotes
Vancouver
On the contrary, I've read several positive posts on dealing with Sony's repair centre's on camera issues, including the one in The Vancouver area. These posts typically involve an issue with a DSLR sensor or lens and so far it is like 4 to 1 that the Sony personnel have gone a step above and beyond in service.

I don't work for Sony, nor am I a Sony fan-boy... far from it. In fact, my DSLR is the first major Sony purchase I've made in my 30 something years as a self financed consumer (ie. I got a job and moved out from ma & pa's). Thinking about it, I can count my Sony purchases on one hand. I've always thought Sony was over hyped so I was very leery getting into a camera of theirs.

This was reinforced after reading over the past two years in the AVS forums about the issues people were having with Sony on their 46" HDTV sets. Sony walked away from them. Panasonic had a similar issue with their 42" plasmas (outside of North America) and they went to the wall to satisfy the owners including redesigning a particular circuit board 3 times and having engineers visit and install it in sets.

I think there is a repair facility in the GTA. Why not try going to the counter there and explain the situation?

Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12752 posts
1715 upvotes
Toronto
NewsyL wrote: On the contrary, I've read several positive posts on dealing with Sony's repair centre's on camera issues, including the one in The Vancouver area. These posts typically involve an issue with a DSLR sensor or lens and so far it is like 4 to 1 that the Sony personnel have gone a step above and beyond in service.
I speak from experience regarding this. Their Alpha support is fantastic.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3528 posts
633 upvotes
Corktown
I would go the Visa warranty route.

They will likely ask you to get a quote for repair, which means getting the camera to Sony (or authorized repair center).

If the quote value is close to your cost, then your Visa insurance company will likely write you a cheque and you can buy a new camera.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote
KorruptioN wrote: I speak from experience regarding this. Their Alpha support is fantastic.
I guess team Alpha and team Cybershot are two totally different departments.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote
fastlayne wrote: I would go the Visa warranty route.

They will likely ask you to get a quote for repair, which means getting the camera to Sony (or authorized repair center).

If the quote value is close to your cost, then your Visa insurance company will likely write you a cheque and you can buy a new camera.
This is probably the most sensible option. However, I contacted the VISA insurance and they told me that I will have to pay for the repair up front and get reimbursed later.

If Sony Canada blames the problem on physical damage. Then VISA insurance will deny my claim.

My camera is in perfect physical condition. So, should I take pictures of my camera with newspaper of that day to prove that in case Sony Canada decides screw me over?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3663 posts
829 upvotes
Hamilton
am I the only one confused about this?

1) Your camera is out of warranty and

2) Your device is not included in the recall

so what exactly do you want to happen? One guy try and change Sony's mind about what serial numbers fall under the recall? They aren't doing anything wrong.

Go the visa route, and if that doesnt work, buy a new camera.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3528 posts
633 upvotes
Corktown
ibinlurking wrote: This is probably the most sensible option. However, I contacted the VISA insurance and they told me that I will have to pay for the repair up front and get reimbursed later.

If Sony Canada blames the problem on physical damage. Then VISA insurance will deny my claim.

My camera is in perfect physical condition. So, should I take pictures of my camera with newspaper of that day to prove that in case Sony Canada decides screw me over?
Better safe than sorry. I would save pictures (with newspaper dateline) that clearly show no damage to any surface or corner. Unfortunately, they could still claim "water damage", but to be fair, Sony has nothing to gain by scuttling your warranty claim with your Visa insurance.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote
adblink182 wrote: am I the only one confused about this?

1) Your camera is out of warranty and

2) Your device is not included in the recall

so what exactly do you want to happen? One guy try and change Sony's mind about what serial numbers fall under the recall? They aren't doing anything wrong.

Go the visa route, and if that doesnt work, buy a new camera.
I expect Sony to stand behind their product and fix my camera that is suffering from either a faulty design or poor manufacturing.

My camera is suffering from the same problem as those recalled. This is a well documented and well known problem with the T20.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3171 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought my Alpha camera in for little stupid matters and they took it and repaired it without any questions. I'm glad I still have more than a year left on the 2 year warranty on the camera.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote
Blackmajik wrote: I bought my Alpha camera in for little stupid matters and they took it and repaired it without any questions. I'm glad I still have more than a year left on the 2 year warranty on the camera.
Where did you bring your camera to? The service center at Toronto?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3663 posts
829 upvotes
Hamilton
except thats fraud and its one of the contributing factors of retailers having to increase prices.

I would not recommend this route.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2007
274 posts
1 upvote
adblink182 wrote: except thats fraud and its one of the contributing factors of retailers having to increase prices.

I would not recommend this route.
What are you talking about? What fraud?