Mississauga, ON

Sony ICFP26 portable AM/FM Radio $24.98

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
17%
Edit: Available @ dell for 19.99
sony-icfp26-portable-am-fm-radio-24-98- ... #p32914587

Good portable radio with long lasting battery life. Useful for camping/power failure.
Available at
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/audio-he ... /108048542
https://www.staples.ca/products/2739099 ... dio-icfp26
https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-ICFP26-Porta ... B012F0DGYE
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... 6/10450761

Previous best price was at 22.88 in 2018
amazon-ca-sony-portable-am-fm-pocket-no ... 8-2212543/

Update: I have returned the radio and ordered Sangeen Dt-200x for 60$. The antenna placement is horrible (it sticks out, check youtube) and FM reception is bad. Also, hard to know which channel I am listening to late in the night since there is no light. If you just need AM, have good FM reception in your place and can live with the antenna, it is a good choice.
Last edited by whyami on Aug 3rd, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
38 replies
Oct 14, 2007
305 posts
186 upvotes
Thedford
Thanks OP.

Always a good idea to have a working AM / FM radio even if just for emergencies. If you are purchasing it for that purpose, don't leave alkaline batteries in it for any length of time. You will forget about it and the batteries will leak. Lithium cells would be a better choice as they are much less likely to leak and maintain their charge for many years.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16447 posts
5685 upvotes
A blast from the past!
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Apr 20, 2017
201 posts
246 upvotes
Montreal
darcyh wrote: Thanks OP.

Always a good idea to have a working AM / FM radio even if just for emergencies. If you are purchasing it for that purpose, don't leave alkaline batteries in it for any length of time. You will forget about it and the batteries will leak. Lithium cells would be a better choice as they are much less likely to leak and maintain their charge for many years.
I don’t know of any real lithium cells that replace AA or AAA batteries. Do they exist?
most things haven't worked out
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16447 posts
5685 upvotes
contva wrote: I automatically assumed rechargeable cells, my bad.
I would go with NiMH, lithium's higher cost makes them comparable in cost to a pack of Ikea rechargeables and a cheap smart charger, if your going to use more than a few batteries over the span of years.
Its also possible that the higher voltage of the lithium primaries could damage the radio, since its likely an older device not designed to not be used with them. I don't know the risk.
Apr 14, 2019
637 posts
551 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: A blast from the past!
You're telling me, I'd use this but wouldn't BUY it, I still sometimes use my old school tapes, but wouldn't pay more than five bucks for a tape player, if that,
Who do you think you are? Tryna tell me how to live my life. Especially when you live yours like a.......
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5031 posts
442 upvotes
If there is a huge power outage and I need radio I'd just go turn on my car.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2249 posts
639 upvotes
I thought someone revived 10 year old thread..
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Sep 16, 2015
129 posts
191 upvotes
Calgary, AB
whyami wrote: Good portable radio with long lasting battery life. Useful for camping/power failure.
This sort of radio sells for $3 at garage sales. Most people already own an excellent portable radio with a huge battery in their cars. In a major emergency in which the power grid and cellular infrastructure have been destroyed, it will it work well for listening to the official zombie tracking announcements on CBC AM without requiring you to store yet another piece of technotrash in the kitchen drawer.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16447 posts
5685 upvotes
redkulat wrote: I know i have this laying around somewhere. True blast from the past, my dad was obsessed with this taking it on walks and to the park.
rcnrcnrcn wrote: You're telling me, I'd use this but wouldn't BUY it, I still sometimes use my old school tapes, but wouldn't pay more than five bucks for a tape player, if that,
I bet its better made then many of the products today. It might even be made in Japan.
Though i suspect they have been lying in a warehouse for a couple decades.
Oct 19, 2008
80 posts
35 upvotes
Fall River, Nova Sco…
Thanks for sharing. I'm actually looking for something similar to this, but the next size up. My father has some health issues and my mother wants to get him something he can physically manipulate to keep him busy. (Digital is a no-go. Looking for an old school AM/FM portable radio with knobs and dials.)