Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Sony ICFP26 portable AM/FM Radio $24.98

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 8:16 pm
Apr 8, 2007
926 posts
417 upvotes
Guelph
Redshft wrote: Thanks for sharing. I'm actually looking for something similar to this, but the next size up. My father has some health issues and my mother wants to get him something he can physically manipulate to keep him busy. (Digital is a no-go. Looking for an old school AM/FM portable radio with knobs and dials.)
This one is quite a bit pricier but fits the bill for what you’re looking for.

Sony ICF-506 Analog Tuning Portable FM/AM Radio, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y11B6L8/ref ... jFbG1GSDYY
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2635 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
warpdrive wrote: old school devices like this:
- don't have any firmware to update
- use regular replaceable batteries that are available everywhere and aren't glued or soldered in.
- don't rely on a internet service that may shut down
- don't rely on a current version of a phone app and don't need an account to set up.

Definitely a blast from the past.
Not to mention provide way better reception than a digitally-tuned radio anywhere close to the same price would.

As a radio DX’er, these kinds of radios with excellent selectivity & sensitivity are awesome. I just might grab this one myself. Sure, they’re not for everyone but I definitely appreciate this post.
Last edited by Devhux on Aug 1st, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2635 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
hollywood115 wrote: This one is quite a bit pricier but fits the bill for what you’re looking for.

Sony ICF-506 Analog Tuning Portable FM/AM Radio, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y11B6L8/ref ... jFbG1GSDYY
Not sure that would be the best idea. While it does use a regular analog-feeling tuning knob, it is actually using a DSP chip so tuning is done in “steps”
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
14723 posts
32444 upvotes
Here’s a tip from a radio collector ; don’t leave batteries in if not using . And like someone mentioned, many thrift stores , garage sales etc sell these for a couple of $ . Just check battery compartment to make sure no batteries leaked and often corrodes and destroy the main boards inside .
Apr 21, 2009
86 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
FYI be on the lookout @ Walmart - bought this last week for $9.99 @ the Walmart @ Pharmacy & Eglinton. Walmart online showed stock on clearance for $9.99 each (getting rid of them I guess?) scored 2, one for me one for my mother - they only had a few left last week but who knows they might have some left 👍🏼

As a backup radio it’s a no brainer, antenna seems fragile but use commons sense... also gets great reviews on Amazon

UPDATE: just checked across Mississauga and Scarborough WM locations price is back up to $24.98...
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4358 posts
10262 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
jaybvee wrote: FYI be on the lookout @ Walmart - bought this last week for $9.99 @ the Walmart @ Pharmacy & Eglinton. Walmart online showed stock on clearance for $9.99 each (getting rid of them I guess?) scored 2, one for me one for my mother - they only had a few left last week but who knows they might have some left 👍🏼

As a backup radio it’s a no brainer, antenna seems fragile but use commons sense... also gets great reviews on Amazon

UPDATE: just checked across Mississauga and Scarborough WM locations price is back up to $24.98...
reg price at all my stores according to stock tracker

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=2724287903

Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2014 posts
2326 upvotes
I have one. Dont recommend it at all

Do yourself a favour and get one with digital tuning and presets so the stations are locked in. Much easier to use instead of fumbling with the tuning dial.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7663 posts
4365 upvotes
Debtario
I would not pay this much for one, you can do a lot better buying an ancient smartphone at this price just for the digital FM, station presets, and RDS song info.

FM radio was handy during the 2004 blackout, my trusty creative Nomad II kept me in the loop along with all the goodness of its 32MB smartmedia card.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Apr 7, 2009
575 posts
358 upvotes
toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: I would not pay this much for one, you can do a lot better buying an ancient smartphone at this price just for the digital FM, station presets, and RDS song info.

FM radio was handy during the 2004 blackout, my trusty creative Nomad II kept me in the loop along with all the goodness of its 32MB smartmedia card.
It seems there are may options for FM, but I'm looking for AM to listen to games. Is there a better alternative?
Oct 19, 2008
403 posts
560 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
hollywood115 wrote: This one is quite a bit pricier but fits the bill for what you’re looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at that one closely but ended up getting him the Panasonic RF-2400D instead. Working great for him, he can use it and it's keeping him happy, which is great.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3221 posts
1193 upvotes
Lévis
Not in the same league but a bit bigger and pricier, some might consider the Panasonic RF2400. It's well praised and priced ~45$.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36396 posts
9627 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
No digital tuning no deal

Here is what I recommend. I purchased mine for 29$ two years ago

Only player I have found that allows you to randomize songs on an SD card
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2635 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote: No digital tuning no deal

Here is what I recommend. I purchased mine for 29$ two years ago

Only player I have found that allows you to randomize songs on an SD card
No AM and very much likely to have worse reception. I’ll pass.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2620 posts
377 upvotes
a: not everyone has a car
b: you run out of gas
c: your car and local cows have all disappeared due to tornado

etc etc..
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36396 posts
9627 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Devhux wrote: No AM and very much likely to have worse reception. I’ll pass.
There is no AM, but reception is great. You need to plug a cable into any port to be used as an external antenna. No problems with reception

The only complaint is the speaker is not the greatest. But if this is just an emergency radio, it works well
[OP]
Nov 14, 2014
615 posts
964 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The radio tuning is great and sound is okay for this price. I get channels from Chicago and Manhattan late in the night. I was listening to the hockey game yesterday.

But, the antenna has been really bugging me. The placement is real bad. Thinking about sending it back and getting a different radio. But, not much options in Amazon Canada

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)