Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3207 posts
1588 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Sony introduces their electric car!

Not really a road legal version, although if they do decide to release into production, it will sell like hot cakes!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
6636 posts
4653 upvotes
Kitchener
lamboman wrote: Not really a road legal version, although if they do decide to release into production, it will sell like hot cakes!
I GUARANTEE if they release this, it won't sell well unless they decide to partner with Tesla (for the Supercharging network).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5708 posts
1769 upvotes
Ottawa
I think it looks really nice and the stats are impressive (although they appear inferior to pretty much anything Tesla sells) but without a prospective price, I don't know how you can make the statement that it will sell like hot cakes.

At around $30k-40k CAD, it would certainly sell very well
At around $50k-60k CAD I think it might do okay but I don't think it outsells TM3 (which is probably less than 1% of overall car sales)
At over $70k CAD, I think this is just another EV that is available but sells under 10k / year (probably not even that much)

I think it's important to remember that EVs in general do not "sell like hot cakes". Tesla (by far top seller of EVs in NA and worldwide) sold some 360k cars worldwide. Impressive for them but that's still a drop in the bucket compared to other cars (Ford sells around 750k F-150s in the US (or maybe that's in NA) alone every year). EVs still only count for less than 3% of car sales so even a company that dominates the market (like Tesla does), it's not that many vehicles. Tesla sells lots of M3 but it's still less than Camrys, Civics, Corrolas, Accords, Altimas, Sentras, etc even the Ford Fusion outsells the M3 in the US I believe.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
6636 posts
4653 upvotes
Kitchener
michelb wrote: At around $50k-60k CAD I think it might do okay but I don't think it outsells TM3 (which is probably less than 1% of overall car sales)
Model 3 is currently somewhere between 1-2% of overall Canadian vehicle sales. A Sony car would likely easily be outsold by the LEAF.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14063 posts
8486 upvotes
Toronto
Should call it the walkman cause it'll break down every single day, it's sony!

One of the better looking evs cars out there, if it ever hits the road.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15304 posts
12765 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If they actually make this it will most likely only be for their domestic market. Sony still makes "walkmans" and they cost up to $5000usd in Japan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5831 posts
4513 upvotes
What's interesting about the "Sony" EV is that it is built by Magna. So it gives it some legitimacy in ability to be manufactured.

Now I think it's clear that Sony doesn't want to be in the car building game but it wants to build on their leading position on the sensors front to get into the infotainment/self driving system provider. And the 3 panel system isn't that different than the design in Honda E. I think it does have potentials.

Now I wonder if Magna is ready to pimp out this platform much like VW MEB just to lower manufacturing cost for everyone else (if it's legit). Not sure if there is any major manufacturer still need a dancing partner but this could be it.

And not sure about the Tesla flag waving here... I think the more player gets into this game, the better we all will be.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8956 posts
1163 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Design-wise I like it but yeah just a concept car to showcase technology.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3849 posts
1213 upvotes
BC
Sony won't be making then car .. it will branded it Sony and provide softwares.
Most likely it will partner with an existing manufacturer with dealership network.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5708 posts
1769 upvotes
Ottawa
Rob_EV wrote: Model 3 is currently somewhere between 1-2% of overall Canadian vehicle sales. A Sony car would likely easily be outsold by the LEAF.
It appears that 9500 TM3 were sold in Canada in 2019 compared to a total market of 1.9M for roughly 0.5% of the total market.

sources:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/tesla-mod ... sa-canada/
https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics ... anada_2019

Actually, this link (only to end of September) reports higher numbers (and I think it's more trustworthy) so the annual total will likely be around 15-16k.
https://insideevs.com/news/376806/plugi ... 40000-ytd/

But it's probably still going to total up to less than 1% (don't forget that Jan-March 2019, Ontario pre-orders were still receiving the EV rebate so there were significantly more sales).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5831 posts
4513 upvotes
michelb wrote: It appears that 9500 TM3 were sold in Canada in 2019 compared to a total market of 1.9M for roughly 0.5% of the total market.

sources:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/tesla-mod ... sa-canada/
https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics ... anada_2019

Actually, this link (only to end of September) reports higher numbers (and I think it's more trustworthy) so the annual total will likely be around 15-16k.
https://insideevs.com/news/376806/plugi ... 40000-ytd/

But it's probably still going to total up to less than 1% (don't forget that Jan-March 2019, Ontario pre-orders were still receiving the EV rebate so there were significantly more sales).
There is still a lot of unknowns for the general public. And the fact that idiots keep killing themselves misusing autopilot doesn't do well for the brand.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5964 posts
645 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
for $35,000 + incentives i'm buying it.
--
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5708 posts
1769 upvotes
Ottawa
m4gician wrote: for $35,000 + incentives i'm buying it.
I agree with that statement but honestly, I'd be very surprised if it was that cheap. I suspect it will be $60k+ but that's just a guess based on the tech and battery (honestly based on the pics and tech from the demo it will likely be in Model S price range) . (I do not see how they can make it cheaper than the Nissan Leaf Plus when Nissan's been selling the Leaf for close to 10 years and building cars for probably 50 and it's bigger and will have larger battery, dual motor, glass roof, more luxurious interior, etc (i.e. more expensive than a Leaf Plus which is close to $50k (and more in SL trim)))