Entertainment

Sony/Mattel Masters of the Universe (He-Man nearly cast)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2023 8:18 am
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17425 posts
12773 upvotes
Toronto

Sony/Mattel Masters of the Universe (He-Man nearly cast)

By the power of Greysk... I can't even fake it

I'm immediately reminded of DragonBall Evolution

https://www.thewrap.com/noah-centineo-h ... -universe/

At least the first try had a known Dolph Lundgren (which in retrospect wasn't all that great in of itself) so maybe they're counting on lots of CG eye candy
18 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Are you #*cking kidding me? They cast this guy as He-Man? I certainly hope not, this is NOT He-Man.

Noah Centineo might be the next live action He-Man
WFT is wrong with hollywood. Is it because of all these movements? Can't cast a white male anymore? Everyone's too sensitive?
Last edited by koffey on Mar 21st, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7971 posts
9092 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: WFT is wrong with hollywood. Is it because of all these movements? Can't cast a white male anymore? Everyone's too sensitive?
He looks white enough, and male enough to me.... in the end, if the script doesn't suck, the guy knows how to play the part, and has a good makeup/costume... he'll nail it
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1278 posts
592 upvotes
Regina, SK
koffey wrote: WFT is wrong with hollywood. Is it because of all these movements? Can't cast a white male anymore? Everyone's too sensitive?
Wait, what? Are you complaining that he is not white enough? Were you hoping for albino?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Boohoo, yeah, looking for an albino. Did you see me say flush painted white? Grow up.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Are you #*cking kidding me? They cast this guy as He-Man? I certainly hope not, maybe Adam but this is NOT He-Man.

WFT is wrong with hollywood. Is it because of all these movements? Can't cast a white male anymore? Everyone's too sensitive?
According to Wikipedia:
Centineo stated he is half Italian, Dutch, and a little Native American
What's the problem here? If anything, aren't you getting a bit sensitive that they cast a white guy who isn't white enough for your tastes?

Also, if they're rebooting He-Man, who's to say that he should be blonde-haired and blue-eyed? This is a franchise that started out as a toy line that spawned a comic book and cartoon in the early 80's. It's not like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was some beloved literary work from the annals of literature or anything.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: According to Wikipedia:

What's the problem here? If anything, aren't you getting a bit sensitive that they cast a white guy who isn't white enough for your tastes?

Also, if they're rebooting He-Man, who's to say that he should be blonde-haired and blue-eyed? This is a franchise that started out as a toy line that spawned a comic book and cartoon in the early 80's. It's not like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was some beloved literary work from the annals of literature or anything.
Hey, I have my tastes to what I perceive as one of my childhood cartoons, toys and this guy is most def not He-Man. You folks seem to have a problem with that. No where did I say blonde hair and blue eyed either.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7971 posts
9092 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Hey, I have my tastes to what I perceive as one of my childhood cartoons, toys and this guy is most def not He-Man. You folks seem to have a problem with that.
Well, it is too early to tell, and you might be surprised... a lot of people thought Heath Ledger was not going to be a good Joker back in the days

I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
koffey wrote:

As an Asian, I can say, he looks Caucasian.

What are you looking for? Blonde and blue eyes, or streaking ginger red hair? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
roblombardi wrote: Well, it is too early to tell, and you might be surprised... a lot of people thought Heath Ledger was not going to be a good Joker back in the days
And while that maybe the case, what about Scarlett Johansons playing the role of a Japanese character? I'm just saying that this actor is nothing like He-Man period. Apparently, people think he's the next big thing and therefore banking on making cash with casting him, if it happens (him casted as He-Man). It's very easy to prematurely judge a cast but jesus, at least have them look the part. The Joker character in Ledger's defence was never in display out of costume. You rarely to never see The Joker without makeup. Outside of the look which anyone can pull off, the mind, not so much. Why people were moaning about Ledger as The Joker, I have no idea. He-Man is Adam and outside of He-Man's tan, they are both identical in build and looks. This guy is neither.
chimaican wrote: As an Asian, I can say, he looks Caucasian.

What are you looking for? Blonde and blue eyes, or streaking ginger red hair? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Obviously not what this guy looks like. Read my comment above, else what are you looking for?
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Well, I guess it's wait and see.

Who knows, bulk him up then shave his head & throw on a blonde wig, or grow out his hair and remove the curls & dye blonde.

Perhaps the directors see something we don't.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 13, 2007
689 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I can see Noah Centineo pulling it off. He has the same facial shape of the Mattel He-Man action figure that I had growing up. I'll go in with an open mind.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10328 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Had to look up He-man... thought Jon Cena or Dave Bautista fit role.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17425 posts
12773 upvotes
Toronto
Noah Centineo broke through with the Netflix teen romcom To All the Boys I've Loved Before and he has another Netflix romcom streaming soon

Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
I suspect this is why people are saying you're complaining that he's not white enough, or do you not understand how English works?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote: I suspect this is why people are saying you're complaining that he's not white enough, or do you not understand how English works?

lol, are you that illiterate? And you're the one saying I don't know how English works? Or just like to prematurely come to conclusions?
jenviea wrote: Noah Centineo broke through with the Netflix teen romcom To All the Boys I've Loved Before and he has another Netflix romcom streaming soon
Kids choice awards. Everything positive about this show says the same thing. 'Teen romance'. Obviously this isn't He-Man and it's show will be targeted to female teenagers. Just as well to cast Justin Bieber in the lead role. Or is JB too white for ya'll milhuas?

:facepalm:
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: By the power of Greysk... I can't even fake it

I'm immediately reminded of DragonBall Evolution

https://www.thewrap.com/noah-centineo-h ... -universe/

At least the first try had a known Dolph Lundgren (which in retrospect wasn't all that great in of itself) so maybe they're counting on lots of CG eye candy
You should update this thread ;)

Sony sold the “Masters” film rights to Netflix in 2019 for at least $30 million according to Variety

Up-and-comer Kyle Allen was casted as the lead

‘Masters of the Universe’ Movie Dead at Netflix After at Least $30 Million in Development; Mattel Shopping for New Buyer (EXCLUSIVE)

Kyle Allen practices sword play for Masters of the Universe Netflix role!

Kyle Allen on He-Man Fan Theories

Last year's interview, Masters of the Universe Directors Tease a “Colorful, Fun, and Irreverent” Live-Action Movie
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
This is good news.
We just want to make a 'Masters [of the Universe]' that feels the way it did to us when we were kids.
Gold right there. Gold.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke