Sony Mirrorless Cameras

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2022 5:29 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
And just like that Sony annouces the A7R4.

61 Megapixels
15 Stop Dynamic Range
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1534 posts
886 upvotes
Well, there is even less incentive to get a GFX 50 or Hasselblad X1D II now.

Sony changed their body design a bit more than usual. That locking mechanism on the exposure compensation dial is a welcome one.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1794 posts
631 upvotes
Mississauga
rebel_rfd wrote: Ronin SC finally shows up!

Ronin SC
I just bought the ronin s yesterday!

anyways, sc only supports 2kg payload. ronin s is a better deal for only $90 more on sale
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2459 posts
489 upvotes
Anyone know if the new ronin SC supports charging your cameras from the gimbal? I couldn't find anything anywhere about that except that the gimbal has 11 hours of battery life.
Sony camera's have horrendous battery life and being able to charge the camera while using a gimbal would be a godsend.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
I'm still shooting with my a7rii. 42 mp is more than enough for majority of people. I can't wait to see some crops of raw files from the a7riv.

I'll wait few months and might buy a used a7riii depending on how much the prices drop.

Too expensive trying to keep up with these Sony bodies.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
wolf30 wrote: Anyone know if the new ronin SC supports charging your cameras from the gimbal? I couldn't find anything anywhere about that except that the gimbal has 11 hours of battery life.
Sony camera's have horrendous battery life and being able to charge the camera while using a gimbal would be a godsend.
It won't charge the camera but the new Mark 3 and Mark 4 Sony bodies last awhile on the Z batteries.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote: I just bought the ronin s yesterday!

anyways, sc only supports 2kg payload. ronin s is a better deal for only $90 more on sale
SC supports active track 3, Ronin S won't get that update since it uses older tech.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1794 posts
631 upvotes
Mississauga
what older tech? active track is using your phone as the tracking camera and controls the gimbal via the app. No reason why it shouldn’t be available on the Ronin S. My camera and lens are too big to go on the SC anyways.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2459 posts
489 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: It won't charge the camera but the new Mark 3 and Mark 4 Sony bodies last awhile on the Z batteries.
If your doing all day shooting then your bound to have to switch batteries.

This is an utter failure on dji's part and looks like I won't be buying this one. I hope the new Zhiyun crane m2 doesn't let me down.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote: what older tech? active track is using your phone as the tracking camera and controls the gimbal via the app. No reason why it shouldn’t be available on the Ronin S. My camera and lens are too big to go on the SC anyways.
Older bluetooth technology in the Ronin S.
That's what I read on the reviews that tested the new SC.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
wolf30 wrote: If your doing all day shooting then your bound to have to switch batteries.

This is an utter failure on dji's part and looks like I won't be buying this one. I hope the new Zhiyun crane m2 doesn't let me down.
The SC has a switch you can press in to mark where your camera needs to be placed back after swapping the battery.

I mean its a viable solution. You aren't running your Mirrorless for filming continuously.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2459 posts
489 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: The SC has a switch you can press in to mark where your camera needs to be placed back after swapping the battery.

I mean its a viable solution. You aren't running your Mirrorless for filming continuously.
Meh, its 2019. It just doesn't make sense to leave out such a valuable feature, especially when most of your competitors already offer this ability,
I don't want to waste more money buying extra overpriced batteries from sony or go through the hassle of swapping them out. I want to just stick a usb cable to my camera from the gimbal and be done with it.

Zhiyun's coming out with their new gimbal on July 22 so we'll see how that one compares to DJI.
Jul 12, 2010
498 posts
89 upvotes
The Ronin SC is a interesting product offering...

Pros: Smaller / lightweight - new active track feature is really neat that high end film makers use to have to pay top dollar for. Cool new design for locking tilt/pan/ roll when traveling
Cons: I still think DJI ronin is poorly designed for mirrorless cameras .. because the body is so small and light while the PRO lenses are HEAVY and its super unbalanced making it hard in general for all gimbals. While Traditional DSLRs tend not to have this issue so the center of gravity is more balanced. Even ALOT of Sony setups can't work on the SC even though it's under the pay load spec.. because the Lens is heavier than the body and to balance it you have to slide it so off balance to one end... it will keep hitting back of the gimbal arm when tilting. I feel they need to redesign the gimbal arms if they really designed it for mirrorless/ small systems.

Can't wait to see a new ronin S2 with these NEW features... but in my opinion is SC is really half baked and super flawed that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to get. The big brother is still the way to go as it gives you alot more options and can grow with you... while alot of the new features on the SC you can live without them as they tend to need a 2 man setup to really take advantage of it..

just my 2cents

Probably pass on the 35mm 1.8 ... hella basic lens from other brands but Sony is charging top dollar for their entry lvl
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1534 posts
886 upvotes
Sony just announced 2 APS-C cameras and 2 APS-C lenses.

https://petapixel.com/2019/08/28/sony-u ... c-cameras/

A nice addition, especially the lenses, but the cameras itself are a bit boring and it's starting to get confusing to anyone getting into Sony's APS-C line-up. A6000, A6100, A6300, A6400, A6500 and A6600... Same kind of bodies with similar sensor and autofocus for the 3 recent models (including the A6400 from this year as well).

Great to have more options though. If I was in the market for a new APS-C mirrorless camera, there couldn't be a better time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
There was a report that the A6300 was already marked as discontinued and likely a6500 would follow. The only odd one out may be the a6000, if it would remain since sale is still strong, but we will see.

Personally, I think it is great news for APS-C as well, but people complain that the prices are getting up there, especially when compared to brands like Fuji.
Gin Martini wrote: ...A nice addition, especially the lenses, but the cameras itself are a bit boring and it's starting to get confusing to anyone getting into Sony's APS-C line-up. A6000, A6100, A6300, A6400, A6500 and A6600... Same kind of bodies with similar sensor and autofocus for the 3 recent models (including the A6400 from this year as well).

Great to have more options though. If I was in the market for a new APS-C mirrorless camera, there couldn't be a better time.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)