Cell Phones

Sony Mobile to focus on just 4 regions now.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2019 3:05 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21765 posts
24923 upvotes
Toronto

Sony Mobile to focus on just 4 regions now.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/so ... gn=dlvr.it

Sony now has four “focus regions” around the world — Japan, Europe, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. On a map showing where Sony’s mobile business will continue, it lists the U.S. and Canada has having, “no operator business,” while also indicating it will not concentrate on smartphone sales in Australia, South America, and the rest of Asia outside the regions mentioned above.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
6 replies
Jan 20, 2010
410 posts
130 upvotes
toronto
I never understand SONY for their smartphone business. They are able to manufacture the best cell phone lens for all other providers, but the cameras on their phones fall far behind.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2181 posts
1232 upvotes
Calgary
gamebird wrote: I never understand SONY for their smartphone business. They are able to manufacture the best cell phone lens for all other providers, but the cameras on their phones fall far behind.
A sensor is only as good as the lens in front of it and the processing supporting it. That said, it is bizarre that a leader in camera technology in general isn't able to pair that sensor with the optics and image processing worthy of it.
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604
Devhux wrote: A sensor is only as good as the lens in front of it and the processing supporting it. That said, it is bizarre that a leader in camera technology in general isn't able to pair that sensor with the optics and image processing worthy of it.
THIS.

their post-processing is two steps behind the competition. the pics i got from my Xperia were great, but it always felt like too much work to get the same result that someone choosing a mode on a Samsung or LG phone would get.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4461 posts
1439 upvotes
Vancouver
Ohhhhh that eye detection that I would kill for in a smartphone camera....

Sony Xperia 1

I would seriously consider this phone if supported in Canada.

Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14081 posts
11731 upvotes
Not Leask
Strange. If they drop from essentially all the Americas, will there be a variant that will support our LTE bands? I would imagine the XAx/XAx Ultra would likely support 'em since they're at least "mid-range tier" (though I'd argue that the basic XA series is rather a budget device). If so, we should have access to say the EU or Asian market models on Amazon, eBay and the likes. I'd be ok to buy SONY phones that way should they support our LTE bands (and increasingly likely, since 5G Is lurking around the corner).

I don't need domestic support for SONY phones since there haven't been any "carrier deals" on them for a good while. But...I definitely wouldn't buy a $700+ SONY phone due to the lack of domestic warranty.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12938 posts
2226 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If only they would bring back their Pro line :D .
But I guess that was Sony Ericsson.
At least they still make Compacts. I don't need a 10" phone.