Expired Hot Deals

[Sony Online Entertainment] Playstation Plus January 2020 (Nathan Drake Collection + Goat Simulator)

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7934 posts
4546 upvotes
Toronto
angel177 wrote: How exactly are they "Anti-Consumer"?
Sony has been anti consumer this entire generation and they're just rubbing it in your face with these poor value PS+ games at this point

- locking out old third party peripherals so they could sell PS4 branded ones for 2-3x the price. I have a $200 SONY Bluetooth headset that isn't supported on my PS4 because Sony says so.
- introducing an online paywall when PS3 was free, then arbitrarily raising the price while offering less just because. At the current rate PS+ will probably jump to $80-100CAD over the next couple years.
- declining quality of PSN sales and "free" PS+ games
- refusing to participate in crossplay for many years
- refusing to offer EA access for many years because "We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect", only to finally allow it with a smaller library than other platforms

Sure they made a handful of good exclusives and that's the only reason I even own a PS4 but because of the above, I spend as little as possible on their ecosystem. TLOU2 isn't going to make me forget Sony's gouging business practices so I won't spend more than $20-25 on that game which is the max I've spent on any PS4 game, nor will I ever pay for PS+ unless the value is drastically improved.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1453 posts
1083 upvotes
St Catharines
Paging JackWhyte...Paging JackWhyte...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8542 posts
2937 upvotes
Microsoft raised the price of XBox Live Gold (February 2017)
then Sony followed 7 months later to match the price raise (November 2017).

For fighting games, Sony made ]rd party PS3 arcade sticks compatible with PS4 in a patch years ago.

Microsoft actually has fewer and way less frequent digital game sales on their online store than Sony.
Microsoft charges tax on all purchases, whereas Sony only charges taxes on digital purchases for Quebec residents.
I don't know how Sony legally avoids charging tax on other provinces but they still have not changed it for places outside of Quebec, in Canada.

PS+ gives additional discounts over buyers that do not have PS+. An extra 20% off compared to non-users.
An XBox Live Gold membership does the same with the extra 20% off for subscribers.

ReeGee wrote: Sony has been anti consumer this entire generation and they're just rubbing it in your face with these poor value PS+ games at this point

- locking out old third party peripherals so they could sell PS4 branded ones for 2-3x the price. I have a $200 SONY Bluetooth headset that isn't supported on my PS4 because Sony says so.
- introducing an online paywall when PS3 was free, then arbitrarily raising the price while offering less just because. At the current rate PS+ will probably jump to $80-100CAD over the next couple years.
- declining quality of PSN sales and "free" PS+ games
- refusing to participate in crossplay for many years
- refusing to offer EA access for many years because "We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect", only to finally allow it with a smaller library than other platforms

Sure they made a handful of good exclusives and that's the only reason I even own a PS4 but because of the above, I spend as little as possible on their ecosystem. TLOU2 isn't going to make me forget Sony's gouging business practices so I won't spend more than $20-25 on that game which is the max I've spent on any PS4 game, nor will I ever pay for PS+ unless the value is drastically improved.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
XFactor11 wrote: Microsoft raised the price of XBox Live Gold (February 2017)
Now you are just lying out the arse.
PS+ got the price hike on September 22, 2016: playstation-plus-membership-increase-69-99-2035580/ (The thread you replied as well)
So it was MS who matched Sony's price couple months later, not the opposite.

Your bias in favor of Sony is just too much that I dont think anyone should take your comments seriously.
Aug 30, 2010
282 posts
156 upvotes
Edmonton
ReeGee wrote: Sony has been anti consumer this entire generation and they're just rubbing it in your face with these poor value PS+ games at this point

- locking out old third party peripherals so they could sell PS4 branded ones for 2-3x the price. I have a $200 SONY Bluetooth headset that isn't supported on my PS4 because Sony says so. A $200 PS3 headset? since that was one of the few affected by the 5.5 update. Even then a simple USB dongle is a workaround.
- introducing an online paywall when PS3 was free, then arbitrarily raising the price while offering less just because. At the current rate PS+ will probably jump to $80-100CAD over the next couple years. PS Plus started in 2010, and was optional all the way until after PS4 launched. And value is *subjective*
- declining quality of PSN sales and "free" PS+ games. Once Again *subjective*
- refusing to participate in crossplay for many years. Their network. Their rules. Also a solid business strategy.
- refusing to offer EA access for many years because "We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect", only to finally allow it with a smaller library than other platforms. I don't blame Sony for not wanting to get into bed with EA. Who have literally been voted on of the worst companies in the world. And who are the biggest instigator of anti consumer behavior out there.

Sure they made a handful of good exclusives (They won 3 out of 10 game of the year awards this decade) and that's the only reason I even own a PS4 but because of the above, I spend as little as possible on their ecosystem. TLOU2 isn't going to make me forget Sony's gouging business practices so I won't spend more than $20-25 on that game which is the max I've spent on any PS4 game, nor will I ever pay for PS+ unless the value is drastically improved.
Nov 13, 2018
304 posts
672 upvotes
Hey Fanboys, get back on topic!

I for one haven't owned a PlayStation for over a decade until I bought mine a year ago, and am really excited for the Nathan Drake collection!

Goat simulator I could pass on though. Was hoping they would give a newer game like Division 2.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4952 posts
432 upvotes
I played the first Uncharted and I think the second one as well on the PS3. Not sure if I played #3, don't think I did. Regardless, gives me a chance to play them which is nice.

Goat Simulator is one of those games that I've seen on YouTube where people do really random stuff with it. Just a goat going around hitting things it looks like.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8542 posts
2937 upvotes
I got my info from here on google:
mymuro wrote: Now you are just lying out the arse.
PS+ got the price hike on September 22, 2016: playstation-plus-membership-increase-69-99-2035580/ (The thread you replied as well)
So it was MS who matched Sony's price couple months later, not the opposite.

Your bias in favor of Sony is just too much that I dont think anyone should take your comments seriously.
The 2016 price raise just matched XBox Live Gold's Price at that time, not exceeded the price of XBL Gold:
https://venturebeat.com/2016/08/22/play ... ar-not-50/
From the link above:
PlayStation Plus will jump in price from $50 to $60 annually, according to an announcement on Sony’s PlayStation Blog. Three months of PS Plus will now cost $22; it previously was $18. If you pay monthly for PS Plus, nothing will change for you in the United States because Sony plans to continue charging $10 12 times a year for that tier — although Canadian will now have to pay $12 monthly. All of these new prices will go into effect September 22. This brings PS Plus in line with the cost of Microsoft’s competing Xbox Live Gold service.

Article is dated Feb 2017 XBox Live Gold price raise
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/commen ... canadians/

The article is dated November 2017 PS+ price raise
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/plays ... 0-6442878/

I own at least two each of all 3 consoles (2 Switches, 2 XBox One Xs, 2 PS4 Pros, and one regular PS4)
and subscribe to all 3 online services.
Jun 4, 2012
390 posts
162 upvotes
New Westminster
New year but same old mentality... If you don't like the game then don't download it. I am sure when you subscribed to PS+ or Live Gold, you didn't sign any contract, that dictates which game should be free.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
XFactor11 wrote: The 2016 price raise just matched XBox Live Gold's Price at that time, not exceeded the price of XBL Gold:
https://venturebeat.com/2016/08/22/play ... ar-not-50/
Direct quote from PS blog which your gamespot article with wrong date referenced
Starting on September 22, 2016, prices for PlayStation Plus memberships will change to $59.99 USD/ $69.99
So nope, ps+ price increased from 49.99CAD to 69.99 which exceeded the price of XBL( 59.99 CAD).
Then 5 months later, MS decided to match the price of ps+ in Canada and hence XBL annual fee jumped from 59.99CAD to 69.99 CAD.
Any RFD console gamer registered before 2016 should know about this "for the player" BS.
I dont know how a professional gamer like you(who own one more PS4 than me and constantly post videos on youtube) can get the simple fact wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8542 posts
2937 upvotes
USD prices were different. The situation where the PS+ price increase matched XBL prices is correct for USA MSRP.
XBL Canadian prices were below parity at the time and in Canada for XBL, therefore the opposite happened here. Microsoft raised the MSRP to
match the exchange rate (fall of the Canadian dollar vs what it should be worth compared to the USA dollar) later in Canada whereas
PS price was below the price of XBL in the USA and they matched it.

Anything game related I do as a hobby, as in for fun or entertainment.
If you actually check my youtube channel, I rarely upload anything on there. I don't play or make games for a living.

mymuro wrote: Direct quote from PS blog which your gamespot article with wrong date referenced

So nope, ps+ price increased from 49.99CAD to 69.99 which exceeded the price of XBL( 59.99 CAD).
Then 5 months later, MS decided to match the price of ps+ in Canada and hence XBL annual fee jumped from 59.99CAD to 69.99 CAD.
Any RFD console gamer registered before 2016 should know about this "for the player" BS.
I dont know how a professional gamer like you(who own one more PS4 than me and constantly post videos on youtube) can get the simple fact wrong.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
XFactor11 wrote: USD prices were different. The situation where the PS+ price increase matched XBL prices is correct for USA MSRP.
XBL Canadian prices were below parity at the time and in Canada for XBL, therefore the opposite happened here. Microsoft raised the MSRP to
match the exchange rate (fall of the Canadian dollar vs what it should be worth compared to the USA dollar) later in Canada whereas
PS price was below the price of XBL in the USA and they matched it.
1. This is RFD, of course we should be talking about Canadian pricing.

2. Even if you did specify you were talking about U.S. pricing(which you didn't), you were still wrong.
The 59.99USD XBL annual fee haven't been changed sinch 2010. Certainly not "Microsoft raised the price of XBox Live Gold (February 2017)".
XFactor11 wrote: Microsoft raised the price of XBox Live Gold (February 2017)
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4970 posts
893 upvotes
mikebmt wrote: Hey Fanboys, get back on topic!
I propose we rename "hardcore gamers" to "hardcore whiners"...
Jun 26, 2009
703 posts
282 upvotes
Calgary
got both of them.. goat simulator is fun, but a joke as PS+ title. oh well.. there goes hoping for something nice in the new year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)