Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Sony PlayStation Classic - $49

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 8:47 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
Too much 'gang mentality' here...as if it's the hip thing to do.

Let's get real. $130 was too much...hell, $80 was too much. But $59.99 with all that hacking potential? Why not.....

1. Yes, I know we should vote with our wallet and not purchase something based on its 'potential'.
2. There are other fruit-based alternative simulators

FYI, the remake of CTR comes out next June.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1437 posts
1348 upvotes
SURREY
Quite happy this happened to Sony. I think they got lazy after dominating this last cycle of consoles (not including Nintendo...that Switch is a monster). Hope it gives Microsoft a chance to get some market share back in the next round. Competition is a good thing.
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1437 posts
1348 upvotes
SURREY
Ducky wrote: i still have the original ps1... is it better then this?
Reviews say no. It’s slow and no extras (again according reviews). If you’re looking for an emulator to hack you could do worse
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
1426 posts
1166 upvotes
Toronto
waiting for $39.99 Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 10, 2013
522 posts
246 upvotes
Mississauga
I do not need it.
Thanks Op anyway!
Last edited by bonegraft on Dec 25th, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 5, 2010
740 posts
496 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah I'm not sure who's downvoting outside of sheep/anti-hackers/anti-sony/anti-emulation box folks.
For the PRICE of what you're getting, this is a good deal. For you to buy an officially licensed playstation emulation box with 2 brand new non-dualshock usb controllers, it is worth it.

Can you buy a rpi and emulate ps1 games and use whatever you want to play with it? Yes
Can you just emulate games on another system (pc/ps3/ps4/android/ios/calculator/toaster/etc.)? Yes
Does the lineup not stand as well compared to the other classic consoles? Yes

All these things can be true, and it can still be worth it at the right price. $60 is a really good price considering it's more than half off (even considering conversion rate to USD)
It's plug & play officially licensed hardware with officially licensed game, that is what you're paying for.
If you don't like it, it's not the deal for you. This is a deal to some people and for the price it's worth it.

Also, people could be downvoting to reduce exposure to the deal so then they can get further drops out of it, but that's kind of conspiratorial...

edit: if anyone can tell me, maybe the downvotes were from when it was initially posted at $80? cause at $80 that was def warmish/not-hot but at $60 definitely decent for regular folk not wanting to fight over lower pricing.
Last edited by telepathy on Dec 25th, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 9, 2010
164 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
Didn’t think twice
Ordered

Thank you RFD
Dec 5, 2006
134 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
BestGuyEver wrote: Amazon had it for 59 aswell
Someone already mentioned that earlier in this thread and before you created a new thread with the exact same deal and exact same link, here:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... #p30327358

Anyway, I’ve updated this thread to reflect the updates others have shared. No need for a duplicate thread but thanks for sharing the deal ;)
Last edited by microwsoftcanada on Dec 25th, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2012
260 posts
375 upvotes
Ducky wrote: i still have the original ps1... is it better then this?
obviously an original ps1 will run games best since there is no emulation. games run natively and perfectly. that said, there are MANY caveats with using an original ps1 these days versus the ps1 classic:

- no HDMI out meaning it won't work on most modern tv's. you will have to play your games on a CRT or EDTV (480p or below) unless you spend a hefty sum on an external hd upscaler.
- you will have to mod the ps1 to be able to play backups, otherwise you are limited to retail discs which can be very expensive these days
- you will need to burn your games to cd's if you do mod the console
-you will have to deal with long load times and memory cards of the original playstation
-there are no save states

the differences are night and day. i still have an original ps1 and play burned games on it via my EDTV. But having the option to play ps1 games on a modern TV with save states, reduced load times, unlimited storage capacity with ability to drop ISO's onto it with ease is a major improvement for the most part. give the ps1 classic another month or two and i bet it will be a beast of a platform. better emulation and image quality, ds3 support, UI overhaul and other improvements are on the way. at $60 you cannot go wrong.
Last edited by xristophoros on Dec 25th, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 28, 2018
625 posts
1380 upvotes
People buying now are ruining it for all of us who can buy it at 19.99 if nobody buys it like dropmix. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
Can someone tell me if you hack and run the games off usb, does that mean 2nd player usb port cannot be used? Or can you connect a USB hub or some sort?
Dec 27, 2012
260 posts
375 upvotes
w00t wrote: waiting for $39.99 Face With Tears Of Joy
it's possible but unlikely. at $60 people are going to snatch these up and i doubt there will be a second shipment from sony considering how poorly they have sold. pushing your luck waiting for another drop but at least i have a month to send mine back should there be another price drop lol
Last edited by xristophoros on Dec 25th, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2012
260 posts
375 upvotes
xwar wrote: Can someone tell me if you hack and run the games off usb, does that mean 2nd player usb port cannot be used? Or can you connect a USB hub or some sort?
yup, there is now support to usb hubs. hacking scene is still in its early days so i don't recommend you touch the classic until there is a stable, fully fleshed out public release. i would give it another month or two.
Nov 24, 2018
14 posts
76 upvotes
I know it's a ps1 but can you play ps2 roms with the hack as well?

And yeah..

Merry Christmas!
Jan 22, 2017
661 posts
1696 upvotes
I will bite at $39.99
I know people who preordered at $150 with tax. I will wait till after christmas to tell them it already dropped not to ruin their day!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2663 posts
854 upvotes
Chatham
DjRags604 wrote: Quite happy this happened to Sony. I think they got lazy after dominating this last cycle of consoles (not including Nintendo...that Switch is a monster). Hope it gives Microsoft a chance to get some market share back in the next round. Competition is a good thing.
This is a good point. Let Sony get some humble pie with this thing, instead of them being arrogant and messing up the PS5!
Dec 27, 2012
260 posts
375 upvotes
corpuz wrote: I know it's a ps1 but can you play ps2 roms with the hack as well?

And yeah..

Merry Christmas!
not a chance it will ever play ps2 roms... ps2 emulation is very resource intensive and for this reason i doubt there will ever be a ps2 classic. it would cost $200+ and at that price point, sony would no longer appeal to the mainstream market.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)