• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 11:59 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB

Sony Releases New A6400 Mirrorless Camera With Flip Out Screen

It will cost about $1350 Canadian for body only and claims to have the fastest autofocus system in existence for a camera. It has a flip out screen for vlogging like Canon cameras and it can do 4k at 30 fps. Still the same 24.2 megapixel sensor.

My first question is why a dedicated $1350 body only camera can only do 4k at 30 fps when an iPhone can do 4k at 60 fps? And why do Canon cameras suck so much that they can't even do 4k at all?

Also, why not just get the full frame Sony A7R ii for less than the cost of this APSC sized A6400?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/15/1818 ... tube-price
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Perhaps you should develop your own camera instead of asking why?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
The sensor on even an APS-C camera is about 20x bigger than the sensor on an iPhone.
May 15, 2010
355 posts
331 upvotes
Ajax
JHW wrote: The sensor on even an APS-C camera is about 20x bigger than the sensor on an iPhone.
Also, I’m sure the bitrate is a lot higher than an iPhone
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote: Also, why not just get the full frame Sony A7R ii for less than the cost of this APSC sized A6400?
Where?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
JoeStale is like an anti-vacciner believing vaccines cause autism. He has stubbornly decided that camera phones are somehow superior to dSLRs despite physics, and deflecting all arguments to the contrary, finding whatever article or angle he can find to promote his view.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote: And why do Canon cameras suck so much that they can't even do 4k at all?

Also, why not just get the full frame Sony A7R ii for less than the cost of this APSC sized A6400?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/15/1818 ... tube-price
First of all, Canon doesn't like to eat away from the potential sales of their higher end bodies. You like Canon ergonomics, color science and len collection, you need to pay up for the bodies. That's how Canon runs their show. Sony on the other hand doesn't GAF.

The A7RII is a 43 Megapixel Full Frame. Its meant for the landscape/product photographer primarily.

This a6400 is aimed for the YouTube blogger, hence the flippy screen. These cameras are targeted for different markets.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
rebel_rfd wrote: First of all, Canon doesn't like to eat away from the potential sales of their higher end bodies. You like Canon ergonomics, color science and len collection, you need to pay up for the bodies. That's how Canon runs their show. Sony on the other hand doesn't GAF.
But it seems like Canon is quickly dying and losing market share while Sony is expanding their camera lines. Sony is putting 4k into all their cameras, silent shooting in any mode, and in body image stabilization into many of them. Canon has none of this or a really crappy implementation of it. I can't see why any enthusiast or pro would even consider Canon cameras at this point given how much more you get with a Sony.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1588 posts
1599 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote: But it seems like Canon is quickly dying and losing market share while Sony is expanding their camera lines. Sony is putting 4k into all their cameras, silent shooting in any mode, and in body image stabilization into many of them. Canon has none of this or a really crappy implementation of it. I can't see why any enthusiast or pro would even consider Canon cameras at this point given how much more you get with a Sony.
Yet most of the most known pros shoot Canon. It's not only about the performance that dictates what the best system is. You wouldn't know since you never dwelved in the pro world. I don't pretend to know what plumbing tools are best, same reason why you shouldn't make any jdugement on photography gear.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2018
1373 posts
1854 upvotes
Flash news: it's not because a camera can't do 4K that it sucks.

Your trolling smartphones vs cameras was funny at first but it gets annoying.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
kangmlee wrote: Yet most of the most known pros shoot Canon. It's not only about the performance that dictates what the best system is. You wouldn't know since you never dwelved in the pro world. I don't pretend to know what plumbing tools are best, same reason why you shouldn't make any jdugement on photography gear.
But wouldn't you agree there is a big trend of moving from Canon to Sony? Even I see on Kijiji that there are lots of people saying they are selling their Canon gear because they moved to Sony.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
mattnew wrote: Flash news: it's not because a camera can't do 4K that it sucks.

Your trolling smartphones vs cameras was funny at first but it gets annoying.
Then forget I compared the 4k to a smartphone and ask why the Sony is only 4k 30fps in this day and age for a dedicated camera that is $1350 with no lens.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1588 posts
1599 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote: But wouldn't you agree there is a big trend of moving from Canon to Sony? Even I see on Kijiji that there are lots of people saying they are selling their Canon gear because they moved to Sony.
There is but mostly on the prosumer level. Sony does it great on paper, in practice that's a different thing. They're amazing but not quite there in terms of pro servicing/presence.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1588 posts
1599 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote: Then forget I compared the 4k to a smartphone and ask why the Sony is only 4k 30fps in this day and age for a dedicated camera that is $1350 with no lens.
Because 4k on a larger sensor produces a lot more heat and requires a lot more CPU power. In many cameras including Panasonic, the autofocus slows down in 4k, produces a lot more heat and has more rolling shutter.

Current high fps cameras (ie 5000fps) have much smaller sensors
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes

I don't even like Canon but the facts are they are not losing but gaining market share since they became more serious in mirrorless cameras. The problem is they are a better known camera brand with a longer history and larger existing market, fan based and marketing dollars, so people will just buy whatever products they release without looking across the fence. To a lot of people it is like a religion, once they believe in something is better, you can't change their minds, even when presented with actual facts and findings. I mean, of all the people...

2018 Japan BCN camera rankings: Canon dominates DSLRs, tops Sony in mirrorless
JoeStale wrote: But it seems like Canon is quickly dying and losing market share while Sony is expanding their camera lines. Sony is putting 4k into all their cameras, silent shooting in any mode, and in body image stabilization into many of them. Canon has none of this or a really crappy implementation of it. I can't see why any enthusiast or pro would even consider Canon cameras at this point given how much more you get with a Sony.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
OP, post one more dumb thread and i'll ask the mods to ban you

#internetisforsrsbusiness
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
twitchyzero wrote: OP, post one more dumb thread and i'll ask the mods to ban you

#internetisforsrsbusiness
This is a good case for implementing a Shadow Ban feature on RFD.
- casual gastronomist -
Mar 14, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
Excellent camera that punches above it's weight as an entry camera. I already have the a6500 but if I didn't. I would def get this. Initial impressions weren't good because of elevated expectations. We all thought we were getting an a7000. Reviews are starting to come in now with more people having more hands on time with it, and they have all been very positive impressions. Many if not all, are choosing it over the a6500. OP's comment about 4K is way off. One only needs to see the two 4K's side by side and you know that they are different. If you wanted to get down to details. Sony's 4k is actually down sampled from 6k. This is the best vlogging camera hands down at a very nice price IMO.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
funkytable wrote: This is the best vlogging camera hands down at a very nice price IMO.
Except that the screen flips upwards on the Sony directly into the path of an external mic or mounted light. So either you can see yourself or have good audio, but not both. So you can't call it the best.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)