Computers & Electronics

Sony TV & Nextbox = TV Remote Controls Both but Not Power ON/OFF?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2021 9:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1022 posts
118 upvotes
London

Sony TV & Nextbox = TV Remote Controls Both but Not Power ON/OFF?

I own a Sony Bravia XBR-75X800H TV + Nextbox 3.0 (9865HD) cable box. Provider: Rogers.

After TV setup the television's own remote is able to control the Nextbox -- I'm able to switch channels and control the PVR. The only issue is powering off/on the Nextbox with the TV remote's power button.

The TV remote's power button will only turn off/on the TV but not the Cable box. I was expecting while on TV mode, which is controlling the cable box channel changing, that it would send the signal to the cable box to also turn off / on when the TV's Power button is tapped. It does not. I must first press the TV button to display a menu for the cable box then select POWER from the on-screen display to manually turn off / on the cable box.

Just wondering if anyone with a similar setup is able to power on/off the cable box with a simple tap of the tv remote's power button so that it is in sync with the television.

FTR: The Sony TV Remote has features which the Nextbox Remote does not; I strongly prefer to ONLY use the Sony Remote.
2 replies
Apr 26, 2021
23 posts
22 upvotes
I had a related problem, not quite the same but could be an indicator. I was trying to solve your problem so I switched the Netbox to the HDMI-3-ARC port. I update the TV setting to tell is that cable box was now in HDMI3. But, whenever I press any button on the remote to control the cable box, it switches the input back to the (now empty) HDMI1 port.

If anyone has a fix for that I would appreciate it!