• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2019 10:14 pm
[OP]
Jun 3, 2011
14 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

Sony won't honor warranty of products bought from bestbuy.ca

I bought Sony bluetooth headphone (MDR XB950N1) on Dec. 24, 2018. After about a year usage, now the headphone won't charge. The product has 1 year warranty.

I contacted Sony Canada and submit the bestbuy.ca e-receipt as proof of purchase. However Sony won't honor its warranty because the e-receipt has no model number on it.

Sony Canada asked me to contact bestbuy to have a valid receipt that has model number on it.

I have to ask Sony Canada really think this through as a customer, not a sale person, how likely bestbuy will create a unique receipt just to satisfy one request.

Be aware, if the receipts you have for Sony products do not have model number on it, you will not get your warranty from Sony Canada!
27 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4267 posts
2561 upvotes
Gotham
I've heard of this before. It's unbelievable they cannot sort it out between Sony and BB. If they can't contact your credit card company.

Worst case, buy it again and then return it. Not scrupulous, but play their game.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2217 posts
1115 upvotes
London
eatmecn wrote: I bought Sony bluetooth headphone (MDR XB950N1) on Dec. 24, 2018. After about a year usage, now the headphone won't charge. The product has 1 year warranty.

I contacted Sony Canada and submit the bestbuy.ca e-receipt as proof of purchase. However Sony won't honor its warranty because the e-receipt has no model number on it.

Sony Canada asked me to contact bestbuy to have a valid receipt that has model number on it.

I have to ask Sony Canada really think this through as a customer, not a sale person, how likely bestbuy will create a unique receipt just to satisfy one request.

Be aware, if the receipts you have for Sony products do not have model number on it, you will not get your warranty from Sony Canada!
contact best buy though twelp@bestbuycanada.ca u should hear back from someone at the head office in vancover.

u can also try making complaint though sony's facebook or twitter page or with the BBB on sony this will get u in touch with someone higher up who can probably over ride whatever stupid policy the low level support people are using to not honor ur warranty.
[OP]
Jun 3, 2011
14 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: contact best buy though twelp@bestbuycanada.ca u should hear back from someone at the head office in vancover.

u can also try making complaint though sony's facebook or twitter page or with the BBB on sony this will get u in touch with someone higher up who can probably over ride whatever stupid policy the low level support people are using to not honor ur warranty.
Thank you for the advice. I will surely give it a try.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1415 posts
509 upvotes
batcave wrote: I've heard of this before. It's unbelievable they cannot sort it out between Sony and BB. If they can't contact your credit card company.

Worst case, buy it again and then return it. Not scrupulous, but play their game.
FYI I heard they wont take back headphones once they're opened for hygiene reasons.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4267 posts
2561 upvotes
Gotham
Dustler6 wrote: FYI I heard they wont take back headphones once they're opened for hygiene reasons.
If they are defective, they need to take them back. Regardless, even if not, they can't resell them.

If OP, bought it with an American Express card, they will sort it out if nobody else will.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1612 posts
353 upvotes
Vancouver
IMO Best Buy should at least do an exchange or refund you because it's their fault for not including model number on E-receipt..
Aug 25, 2019
305 posts
329 upvotes
WHY can't you get a proper receipt with a model number?
"It is not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Anonymous
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2754 posts
2351 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SCOPster wrote: WHY can't you get a proper receipt with a model number?
You mean to fight with BB to create another receipt for a purchase made almost a year ago?????
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2749 posts
1946 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
batcave wrote: If they are defective, they need to take them back.
No they don't. Especially after this long. It's a warranty issue, with the manufacturer. However, if the manufacturer is being a dick, well...then (hopefully) the retailer will help out.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3731 posts
3811 upvotes
Vancouver
This is silly. Use an editor on the e-receipt, add the model number that Sony is so keen on. I checked a few of my eReceipts from BB, and there is no special format - sometimes they show the model number in the item description, sometimes they don't. It appears to have been arbitrary when someone at BB created the item stock listing.
Last edited by Scote64 on Nov 28th, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2355 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: This is silly. Use an editor on the e-receipt, add the model number that Sony is so keen on.
Yes, committing fraud by doctoring a receipt to make a claim against a company as anal, litigious, and spiteful as Sony is not silly.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3731 posts
3811 upvotes
Vancouver
bombdiggity wrote: Yes, committing fraud by doctoring a receipt to make a claim against a company as anal, litigious, and spiteful as Sony is not silly.
I would never suggest fraud. It is not fraud when the OP is providing truthful information to supplement what a careless data entry person at BB forgot. The OP could waste a lot of time pursing BB to dig up a better item description for the stock number that appears on his receipt, or they could save everyone a lot of time to get to the same place.

If you don't like my first suggestion, then here's another one: every BB receipt shows a stock number for every line item, even if the description was incomplete. Those stock numbers appear on the bestbuy.ca online product page. The OP could find his exact product, check that the stock number shown on that page matches his eReceipt, and take a copy with the url. Send that to Sony. Who will quite possibly ignore it or find another excuse to deny a legitimate warranty claim after the OP goes to the extra effort.
Last edited by Scote64 on Nov 28th, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2355 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I would never suggest fraud. It is not fraud when the OP is providing truthful information to supplement what a careless data entry person at BB forgot. The OP could waste a lot of time pursing BB to dig up a better item description for the stock number that appears on his receipt, or they could save everyone a lot of time to get to the same place.
Whether you think it ought to be on the receipt or not, doctoring the receipt to look like it was there to begin with is fraud, and that is exactly what you're suggesting.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3731 posts
3811 upvotes
Vancouver
bombdiggity wrote: Whether you think it ought to be on the receipt or not, doctoring the receipt to look like it was there to begin with is fraud, and that is exactly what you're suggesting.
How so? Sony wants the model number. OP adds it to the receipt, sends it again. Doesn't claim that it came from BB. It's truthful and correct information. No judge would ever call that fraud.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)