Computers & Electronics

Sony XBR65X900F - Sometimes needs to be unplugged then turned back on for it to work?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2019 9:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11032 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto

Sony XBR65X900F - Sometimes needs to be unplugged then turned back on for it to work?

As the topic title states, this is getting extremely annoying. I don't use the TV that much, moreso on friday and saturday nights, during the week not really.

Anyways, lately I've found this tv will not respond to the remote at all to turn it on until I unplug it then plug it back in. This is only after an extended period (48 hours or more usually) of time of it not being turned on.

Has anyone come across this issue with this exact tv or the same model in a different size?

For me right now it's not so serious that I need to use the extended warranty to try and replace it with something else but if I can't find a resolution to this I will definitely look into it (In all honesty if I'm going to have to use the extended warranty I would rather have it be an issue where the entire TV would have to be replaced like I have in the past).
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3536 posts
1399 upvotes
Toronto
Have you tried factory resetting it? I have a XBR55X900E but never had this issue, I assume they're similar to some extent. The X900E comes with an IR/RF remote, not bluetooth.

Is the remote bluetooth? Is there a way to use IR or RF? May be some pairing issues, I have the same issues with my MiBox sometimes and I have to unplug and replug it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5797 upvotes
Burlington
Happens to my 12 year old FHD LG. even the power button on the tv wouldn't work, have turn unplug/replug, sometimes a couple tries
Maybe a capacitor somewhere doesnt work properly anymore.
    Deal Addict
    May 8, 2007
    1102 posts
    333 upvotes
    Fraser Valley, BC
    I have had the exact same TV for a year and never had that remote problem. Maybe try new batteries for the remote?
    [OP]
    Deal Guru
    Aug 14, 2007
    11032 posts
    2118 upvotes
    Toronto
    Homer88 wrote: Have you tried factory resetting it? I have a XBR55X900E but never had this issue, I assume they're similar to some extent. The X900E comes with an IR/RF remote, not bluetooth.

Is the remote bluetooth? Is there a way to use IR or RF? May be some pairing issues, I have the same issues with my MiBox sometimes and I have to unplug and replug it.
    Tried factory resetting.

The remote as far as I know is IR. TV came with one of those IR Blaster things I'm pretty sure.
    konsensei wrote: Happens to my 12 year old FHD LG. even the power button on the tv wouldn't work, have turn unplug/replug, sometimes a couple tries
    Maybe a capacitor somewhere doesnt work properly anymore.
      Not sure if this would be the case as I bought this tv in march of this year.
      adams7 wrote: I have had the exact same TV for a year and never had that remote problem. Maybe try new batteries for the remote?
      New batteries I did try. Doesn't solve the problem.

All I know is this is a really annoying problem as when I do unplug it and plug it back in it takes a good 5-10 minutes before the TV will come back on. Once it finally comes back on the remote and everything works perfectly fine.

My problem is is I know 100% that if I get a service person here the problem will likely not happen which they'll have to come back a bunch of different times for it to recreate the issue.
      Deal Fanatic
      Jul 4, 2004
      8746 posts
      1679 upvotes
      The Panasonic's had this problem with their early LCD tv's and released a patch via USB port that updated the timeout period for when the power supply adequately energized before powering the panel. It's an annoying problem, I found the patch online and applied it myself and never had the problem again afterwards.

Check and see if there is a software update available for your tv at the sony support page and apply (if available).
      Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
      Deal Fanatic
      Sep 29, 2005
      5974 posts
      1286 upvotes
      Montreal
      Could it be a CEC conflict?

I had a similar issue with my Pioneer receiver until I turned it off and changed my HDMI port on my TV to the one that didn't support CEC.
      Phils
      Deal Fanatic
      Jan 17, 2003
      8642 posts
      1095 upvotes
      My Sharp TV had this same issue. First few years after they released the quattron.
      Deal Expert
      Apr 16, 2001
      15825 posts
      2424 upvotes
      You're not using one of those power-saving surge protectors are you? If you've somehow managed to get your Sony to go into low-power sleep mode, it could be its not drawing enough power to wake the surge protector.
      Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
      [OP]
      Deal Guru
      Aug 14, 2007
      11032 posts
      2118 upvotes
      Toronto
      JAC wrote: You're not using one of those power-saving surge protectors are you? If you've somehow managed to get your Sony to go into low-power sleep mode, it could be its not drawing enough power to wake the surge protector.
      I'm using 2 power conditioners but I doubt that's the issue.

TV is not in a power saving state.

The tv is plugged into the non switched side of the xindak one.
      IMG_20191019_003844.jpg
      Deal Expert
      Apr 16, 2001
      15825 posts
      2424 upvotes
      XtremeModder wrote: I'm using 2 power conditioners but I doubt that's the issue.

TV is not in a power saving state.

The tv is plugged into the non switched side of the xindak one.

IMG_20191019_003844.jpg
      Ok. I'm assuming your on the latest firmware? You can try enabling Remote Start, which will prevent the TV from entering deep sleep entirely. After that, I'd factory reset the thing and if that didn't fix it I'd warranty it.
      Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
      [OP]
      Deal Guru
      Aug 14, 2007
      11032 posts
      2118 upvotes
      Toronto
      JAC wrote: Ok. I'm assuming your on the latest firmware? You can try enabling Remote Start, which will prevent the TV from entering deep sleep entirely. After that, I'd factory reset the thing and if that didn't fix it I'd warranty it.
      Will try this when I get around to it. (and yes it's on the most recent firmware)

Thankyou for the advice.
      Deal Addict
      May 8, 2007
      1102 posts
      333 upvotes
      Fraser Valley, BC
      To see if the problem is related to the remote control or related TV circuits/software, to turn on the TV use the power button on the back left side of the TV.
      [OP]
      Deal Guru
      Aug 14, 2007
      11032 posts
      2118 upvotes
      Toronto
      adams7 wrote: To see if the problem is related to the remote control or related TV circuits/software, to turn on the TV use the power button on the back left side of the TV.
      Tried before, power button also wouldn't respond.

Right now the problem isn't happening but I'm gonna leave it off for the next 3-4 days and see what happens on friday when I go to use it. (It gets very little use during the week as stated)
      Deal Expert
      Mar 23, 2004
      28942 posts
      9463 upvotes
      Hmm have you posted the same question on the owners' thread on AVS? (Or searched in there to see if anyone has the same issue?) Does this TV have an external power brick or is the PSU internal?

I would not enable the remote wake feature on the TV as it will pull quite a bit of idle current (it's pretty ridiculous), knowing other Sony TVs. Even with the feature off the TV should still turn on instantly (shouldn't take any time to "boot") the only thing is you can't turn it on with the remote app/network.

Sony remotes [for Android TVs) do have BT but not to turn the TV on--the controls are all IR--the voice control is over BT. I have no idea why they didn't just make the entire remote BT. The BT for the voice feature alone makes the remote drain batteries like nobody's business so they may as well have made it fully BT. Good thing I don't use the remote to operate my Android TV (use my AVR remote). Last time I picked up the remote (after not using it in months) batteries dead on their own :rolleyes: Put rechargeables in now but never had a TV remote drain the batteries in a few months just sitting there, until now.