Food & Drink

Soon the only things available will be "Original" flavour?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 7:22 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9457 posts
3764 upvotes

Soon the only things available will be "Original" flavour?

So much for whole wheat pasta and egg noodles: Ital pasta is cranking out the regular spaghetti and cutting down their shapes and varieties from 64 to 6. Prairie Flour Mills is focusing on making white flour. Nestlé Canada says "a simplified portfolio approach will enable greater efficiencies" and have cut back their offerings.

Walmart Canada is cutting down on the number of food products they carry. Metro is the same.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... the-basics

Well, I guess we will discover what the average Canadian eats because that will be all that is left to buy. I think it will involve a lot of white flour. Trying to weigh if running out to get egg noodles now qualifies as an emergency/essential trip...
Last edited by lecale on Apr 16th, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6945 posts
1667 upvotes
I can't find Heinz Ketchup in the spicy version or McCain s French Fries with cracked pepper. Hope it's only temporary.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16643 posts
3840 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: I can't find Heinz Ketchup in the spicy version or McCain s French Fries with cracked pepper. Hope it's only temporary.
They're still giving credit to it online, so they might not have discontinued the spicy ketchup... http://www.kraftcanada.com/brands/heinz ... p/products
I DID see a cracked pepper french fry at Loblaws recently, but it may have been Cavendish...(similar shelving area in the freezer, the two brands sit so close together, lol)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6945 posts
1667 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: They're still giving credit to it online, so they might not have discontinued the spicy ketchup... http://www.kraftcanada.com/brands/heinz ... p/products
I DID see a cracked pepper french fry at Loblaws recently, but it may have been Cavendish...(similar shelving area in the freezer, the two brands sit so close together, lol)
Lol!! The fries we like ARE Cavendish. Can't find them.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16643 posts
3840 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: Lol!! The fries we like ARE Cavendish. Can't find them.
Cavendish is @ Loblaws. $2.99-$3.99 right next to the McCain fries.
The Cavendish "Restaurant style Drive thru fries" stand out as most readily available, but others were there also.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19142 posts
2061 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Anyone getting flavour fatigue from eating the same cooked meals? I wasn’t a big take out person before and I’ve stopped going to super markets for the last month and just using my pantry to tie me over but I think it’s the circumstances and stale routine day in day out is starting to amplify just how boring my cooking really is.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6945 posts
1667 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I wasn’t a big take out person before and I’ve stopped going to super markets for the last month and just using my pantry to tie me over but I think it’s the circumstances and stale routine day in day out is starting to amplify just how boring my cooking really is.
I cooked all day Saturday to have lots of leftovers from Easter dinner. Have been eating the same thing every day since.

Sometimes I wonder what the last things we would be eating if we ate all the food in the freezers/pantry. Think it might be a weird combination of canned chickpeas in barbecue sauce. Lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45189 posts
8218 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Supercooled wrote: Anyone getting flavour fatigue from eating the same cooked meals? I wasn’t a big take out person before and I’ve stopped going to super markets for the last month and just using my pantry to tie me over but I think it’s the circumstances and stale routine day in day out is starting to amplify just how boring my cooking really is.
Lol not me. Its getting kinda fun/exhausting. Lots of cooking.
My partner went all out and did this elaborate 5 course meal thing. That ended up being Our lunch for a week!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9457 posts
3764 upvotes
Walmart is very distressing these days. They have pallets of dismal basics like plain tomato sauce, plain spaghetti, canned vegetables like it's a food bank warehouse. Who is going to eat that much creamed corn?? I say don't start living on the <$.99 menu until you have to. They did have 2 kg Redpath sugar for $1 though. Also the Easter chocolate was virtually untouched and all 50% off. Poor kids.

Zehrs isn't turning over the good stuff fast enough and it's being cleared on basis of upcoming expiry. PC smoked sockeye salmon 150g, $1 (in the system for $2 and then 50% off sticker, expiry dates are mid to late April, and hey, it's frozen. Regular price is $8.99). Also PC pates for $1, they freeze, pork liver or chicken and pork liver, 4/20/2020. Rotisserie chicken now down to $10 and good odds on finding one that is "expired". I don't think I will have a problem fining a can of creamed corn in store in the future, but I worry that premium items will be delisted due to lack of demand. No one is buying the sushi even on markdown (go figure) and I wonder how long they will offer it if they are routinely tossing everything in the display case.

The last things in my pantry will be Coconut Cheerios and Campbell's Chunky Butter Chicken with Vegetables. Freezer, PC Mini Beef Sliders Burgers because he finds a tiny burger to be a humiliation and I will have to eat them all. I like both chickpeas and bbq sauce, could see simmering them together...

I had a pretty huge cache of dried beans, peas, and lentils before COVID and I have to laugh when I see the stores stripped of legumes because I can never get him to eat them and I have so many because I've tried every kind...but suddenly he's in the mood for them and we worked through a big pot of split green pea and ham this week. Normally we would be eating a lot of asparagus (which is still cheap) this time of year but no, now it's pandemic food. He also wants KD now that it's quadrupled in price. You eat KD, you eat alone. It's too early for that.

Millennials hate Cheez Whiz and American cheese and manufacturers saw a future where processed cheese would fade away...but no, cooties. SPAM demand has been totally revived by COVID. There is still a lot of fresh cheese and meat in store but it seems that people have transitions onto some kind of doom menu. Maybe people are testing things out to see if they can survive on this stuff and actually like it if things go totally pear shaped?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9457 posts
3764 upvotes
Also seeing a ton of tp in store from only one brand, Cashmere (by Kruger, which also makes Purex, Scotties, SpongeTowel) and the odd stray pack of Royale (Irving Tissue). No more of that fancy imported tp. Charmin (Proctor & Gamble) and Cottonelle (also Kleenex, Kimberly-Clark) come in from the US. Bounty is also an import. The only thing P&G makes here is pads and diapers. Will have to switch to Tiger Towel (but find some first).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28787 posts
9257 upvotes
Wait soon all restaurants will be Taco Bell...erm KFC??!? :eek: :lol:

I guess then all grocery stores will become like Costco :( "Cause that's basically all they have there--always just the one most popular variety of something, in some huge quantity :rolleyes: I mean sometimes there's 2-3 varieties in the same pack...sometimes.

Consider the Brookside box that has three flavours, yet conveniently it's not split equally and there are more blueberry ones than other ones. Also they have those sickly sweet Special K "thin" bars but no Nourish bars (which are wayyy better IMO). Want shaving gel? Well it better be the orange Edge, 'cause if you want the other ones, too bad you gotta go and buy individual ones somewhere else...only now those places will probably only have one variety too :(

You want sugar-free* Red Bull or one of the "flavour" ones? Too bad all we got is original sugared and that's that. Cheaper than everywhere else when on sale, but no varieties. Say what? You want lactose-free milk or free-run eggs? Nah bro this is Costco, we ain't got that shit, you GTFOta here! Sad part for me is I'm often the guy that doesn't particularly like "the most popular/best selling" variety of something so I often get stumped at Costco--"oh yeah I like that...but not that kind of it :( "

Will suck if all stores become like this.

*Mind you the last time I bought the 24 for $35 RB there, I did get the sugar-free as they did have it, but that's the first time I've seen it in two years of shopping there.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28787 posts
9257 upvotes
lecale wrote: Bounty is also an import. The only thing P&G makes here is pads and diapers. Will have to switch to Tiger Towel (but find some first).
Word of warning here. Tiger Towels suck. They are not a substitute for Bounty. Scott Sponge Towels are a good substitute (and made here) but not Tiger Towels. Bounty is king though, good thing I have like a 16-roll pack I bought from Costco in like January. But yeah stick with P&G or Scott, don't uh, don't go with Tiger Towels.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19142 posts
2061 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
lecale wrote: Also seeing a ton of tp in store from only one brand, Cashmere (by Kruger, which also makes Purex, Scotties, SpongeTowel) and the odd stray pack of Royale (Irving Tissue). No more of that fancy imported tp. Charmin (Proctor & Gamble) and Cottonelle (also Kleenex, Kimberly-Clark) come in from the US. Bounty is also an import. The only thing P&G makes here is pads and diapers. Will have to switch to Tiger Towel (but find some first).
ES_Revenge wrote: Wait soon all restaurants will be Taco Bell...erm KFC??!? :eek: :lol:

I guess then all grocery stores will become like Costco :( "Cause that's basically all they have there--always just the one most popular variety of something, in some huge quantity :rolleyes: I mean sometimes there's 2-3 varieties in the same pack...sometimes.

Consider the Brookside box that has three flavours, yet conveniently it's not split equally and there are more blueberry ones than other ones. Also they have those sickly sweet Special K "thin" bars but no Nourish bars (which are wayyy better IMO). Want shaving gel? Well it better be the orange Edge, 'cause if you want the other ones, too bad you gotta go and buy individual ones somewhere else...only now those places will probably only have one variety too :(

You want sugar-free* Red Bull or one of the "flavour" ones? Too bad all we got is original sugared and that's that. Cheaper than everywhere else when on sale, but no varieties. Say what? You want lactose-free milk or free-run eggs? Nah bro this is Costco, we ain't got that shit, you GTFOta here! Sad part for me is I'm often the guy that doesn't particularly like "the most popular/best selling" variety of something so I often get stumped at Costco--"oh yeah I like that...but not that kind of it :( "

Will suck if all stores become like this.

*Mind you the last time I bought the 24 for $35 RB there, I did get the sugar-free as they did have it, but that's the first time I've seen it in two years of shopping there.
Good god you guys paint a pretty bleak future where we will only be able to eat plain oatmeal because it’s good enough and has all the essential vitamins the body needs. And the only entertainment we’ll get is a simulation of people walking around looking pretty flat.

Just read a few days ago a major pork processing plant in the US that’s responsible for ⅓ of all pork products has shut down because of multiple positive cases in their plant.

Crazy to think how everything is so reliant on one another.l just like the n95 masks.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16643 posts
3840 upvotes
Toronto
...and how many people thought this thread was going to be about KFC not having crispy chicken anymore? :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25410 posts
4522 upvotes
Just have to buy real food and make different meals from it. Various meats, veggies, spices and sauces.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28787 posts
9257 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Good god you guys paint a pretty bleak future where we will only be able to eat plain oatmeal because it’s good enough and has all the essential vitamins the body needs. And the only entertainment we’ll get is a simulation of people walking around looking pretty flat.
Well not trying to paint a bleak future but kind of funny you call it bleak since that's the day-in/day-out routine at Costco already and always has been :lol: Yeah yeah heaven forbid you say anything even remotely negative about Costco online, I'm sure the mob will be on me soon--let the flames begin! :lol:
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19142 posts
2061 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
ES_Revenge wrote: Well not trying to paint a bleak future but kind of funny you call it bleak since that's the day-in/day-out routine at Costco already and always has been :lol: Yeah yeah heaven forbid you say anything even remotely negative about Costco online, I'm sure the mob will be on me soon--let the flames begin! :lol:

The uproar wouldn’t be from me as I don’t shop at Costco but I can imagine the same kind of fervour follows Costco members like it does apple, whole foods, and any number of soup de jour cause these cultists and anarchists are doing.

Don’t get me wrong though I like the principle behind Costco. I don’t necessarily enjoy shopping and perusing the aisles unless it’s dead silent and vacant like in the morning but I doubt that ever was the case with Costco, pre pandemic frenzy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6175 posts
3233 upvotes
Mississauga
My approach to shopping at Costco is to go in, get what I need and get out. It’s not the kind of place you browse at; it’s way too busy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6175 posts
3233 upvotes
Mississauga
Well, I haven’t stepped foot in this place since February. I loathe going there even under normal circumstances.