• Mar 4th, 2022 11:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
183 posts
63 upvotes

Sooo... what would you do? [accidental scam]

Here's the Cole's notes:

Ordered a $1500 Surface laptop for working from home (COVID). Long delays and never shows up or porch pirates or something. Store issues refund. No more stock and nothing like the Black Friday deal I bought, so whatever.

Couple months later, my work says they're sending me a company laptop. That shows up a couple days after that... or so I think. I open it, and I'm confused because it is mostly blank and didn't have the software I was expecting. I call IT department and he's confused because it doesn't have the expected labels and oops... it is supposed to be a ThinkPad, not a Surface. I look closer at the label and see this is the laptop I originally ordered back in November.

So yeah... I got the refund and I got the laptop. I opened it and turned it on but otherwise haven't used it.

Option a) I earn karma points and call the retailer to send it back.
- pro: feel good?
- pro: its the "right" thing to do?
- pro: Walmart earns a tiny bit more profit for their shareholders.
- con: am I a sucker?
- con(?): didn't Walmart already get reimbursed from UPS? I suppose that's not my problem
- con: its a headache. I probably have to spend 40 minutes explaining

Option b) I keep it.
- pro: dude. free $1500 laptop!
- con: I honestly have no use for it now.
- con: going to some version of "Hell"
- con: I have to worry if somewhere out there the serial number is flagged in some database waiting for me to forget and call for warranty support (though I really doubt it).

Option c) I sell it
- pro: cha ching!
- con: I mean... how do I explain it? I don't want some rando getting in trouble if THEY call for warranty support!

Option d) I wait. See if the Big W ever comes a calling. But honestly, at that point I'm really choosing B, right?

I'm guessing most of you say option A and chastise me for even thinking about B or C, while secretly you know you'd do it in my shoes ;) Hehe.

But let me know!
Share:
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3100 posts
2696 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
s_mack wrote: I'm guessing most of you say option A and chastise me for even thinking about B or C, while secretly you know you'd do it in my shoes ;) Hehe.
Why is this even a question? Always amazed at how the very people who'd be the first to complain if they didn't get a refund for an item that didn't arrive, are also usually the first to ask "should I return this?" in this scenario.

Don't be a dink. Just return the damn thing.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2568 posts
1783 upvotes
Vancouveresque
I would keep the laptop, maybe file the money for it away in a separate savings account if you're feeling real paranoid about it. It's not gonna make a difference to Walmart's bottom line.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3373 posts
1414 upvotes
Ottawa
Soo... What is the answer you want to hear from us?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3448 upvotes
West
Akitakara wrote: Soo... What is the answer you want to hear from us?
Pretty much. Looks like OP knows what the right thing to do is, but wants some form of validation/externalization to do what he/she really wants to do.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
183 posts
63 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: Soo... What is the answer you want to hear from us?
Lol, it's right in the title, isn't it? I'm curious what you would do.

I already know what I'm doing.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1762 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
Just do it, keep it, you know you will, you don't need ok from anybody.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4789 posts
3296 upvotes
Vancouver
s_mack wrote: Lol, it's right in the title, isn't it? I'm curious what you would do.

I already know what I'm doing.
Kinda pointless discussion if you already decided what you will do. If you really are curious, just make a twitter poll or something with the options you mentioned.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20944 posts
19225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO …
But that’s cuz I got a conscience

What goes around … comes around

You get back in life in ten fold whatever vibes (good or bad) you put out into the world

And oh ya … Karma, SHES A BITCH !!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7663 posts
4574 upvotes
Mississauga
Low content.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25155 posts
21616 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
s_mack wrote: Option a) I earn karma points and call the retailer to send it back.
- pro: feel good?
- pro: its the "right" thing to do?
- pro: Walmart earns a tiny bit more profit for their shareholders.
- con: am I a sucker?
- con(?): didn't Walmart already get reimbursed from UPS? I suppose that's not my problem
- con: its a headache. I probably have to spend 40 minutes explaining
Contact Walmart by phone or by email. Tell them what you told us. Ask them to pick up their Surface. Do this once. If you call keep a record of date/time and name of employee (if you speak to one), etc. If you email, keep the email.

If they arrange for pickup or send you a prepaid shipping label, etc. then follow their reasonable instructions. (It's not "reasonable" for them to expect you to pay for shipping or drive a long distance to one of their stores, etc.)

If they don't make any effort to retrieve their Surface, then after 30-60 days consider it abandoned. What you do with it at that point is up to you.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2466 posts
2002 upvotes
GTA West
If you keep it you are no better than a porch pirate who, if challenged will say: "those rich folks will just get a refund or new computer from Walmart".
Feb 7, 2015
313 posts
199 upvotes
Was it sold and shipped by Walmart online or a third party seller at Walmart.ca?
Sep 16, 2007
609 posts
121 upvotes
Ancaster
Bring your morals to the forefront and return it. It wouldn't even be a discussion if I were in your shoes.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
183 posts
63 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Kinda pointless discussion if you already decided what you will do. If you really are curious, just make a twitter poll or something with the options you mentioned.
lol. I knew there would be judgey people, but I didn't expect to be told I'm using the Internet wrong!
bylo wrote: Contact Walmart by phone or by email. Tell them what you told us. Ask them to pick up their Surface. Do this once. If you call keep a record of date/time and name of employee (if you speak to one), etc. If you email, keep the email.

If they arrange for pickup or send you a prepaid shipping label, etc. then follow their reasonable instructions. (It's not "reasonable" for them to expect you to pay for shipping or drive a long distance to one of their stores, etc.)

If they don't make any effort to retrieve their Surface, then after 30-60 days consider it abandoned. What you do with it at that point is up to you.
There, see! That's why I posted... I knew there would be a voice of reason that finds a compromised angle I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

I'm not so rigid that I can't change my mind.

What I had decided to do (not that Judgy McJudgersons here will believe me) was to bring it to the local store next time I went and just drop it off with a brief explanation. Which, I figured, basically is giving a free laptop to whoever is lucky enough to be working counter that day. Or, more likely, they turn it in to their manager and that person keeps it. I did NOT want to call, because I know I'll end up being in a 45 minute hold hell while someone in a faraway land struggles to figure out how this scenario fits in their call handling diagram.

But your way potentially makes it worth it. Sort of introduces an element of chance. I like it. The moral middle ground.

Cheers
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25155 posts
21616 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
s_mack wrote: What I had decided to do (not that Judgy McJudgersons here will believe me) was to bring it to the local store next time I went and just drop it off with a brief explanation. Which, I figured, basically is giving a free laptop to whoever is lucky enough to be working counter that day. Or, more likely, they turn it in to their manager and that person keeps it. I did NOT want to call, because I know I'll end up being in a 45 minute hold hell while someone in a faraway land struggles to figure out how this scenario fits in their call handling diagram.

But your way potentially makes it worth it. Sort of introduces an element of chance. I like it. The moral middle ground.
This isn't a moral middle ground. It's what you are morally, if not also legally, required to do. The item was delivered to you in error. You should report that. It's the moral thing to do. But that then puts the onus on Walmart to pick it up. If they do, then you did the right thing. If they don't, then you also did the right thing but you get a notebook PC as a bonus.

BTW if you take the notebook to a Walmart store and drop it off there, make sure that you get a receipt from the customer service agent or the store manager that confirms it. Otherwise you take a risk that if Walmart later does an audit and thinks you still have the notebook you will have proof that you returned it. The same goes with a prepaid return shipping label. Be sure to track the delivery back to Walmart and keep a record of it just in case.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1795 posts
373 upvotes
Winnipeg
I would ask strangers on the internet what they would do.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
183 posts
63 upvotes
Careful now. "Morally required"... morals are personal. Yours are not mine, and mine are not yours. One cannot "require" another to follow their moral code. It is a fallacy to assume morals are universal. Those that are (thou shalt not kill, for example) become accepted as law.

I don't think I'm legally required to return this.

Anyway, I still agree with your method, if not your reasons :)
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
183 posts
63 upvotes
bryan35 wrote: I would ask strangers on the internet what they would do.
Lol. Me too
Aug 31, 2005
473 posts
119 upvotes
While the value of this is much more then some things I've bought at Amazon, their Customer Service clearly says, if it shows up, keep it or donate it, we dont care. But i dont know if that phrase is used on higher ticket items. My items have been below 200$ (usually under 50$).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)