• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2021 1:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 30, 2008
786 posts
273 upvotes

Sorbara builder reviews?

Does anybody have experience working with Sorbara as the builder?

I'm interested in their Stouffville development but since none have taken possession yet, looking to see what the other developments have been like.
12 replies
[OP]
Jan 30, 2008
786 posts
273 upvotes
Just bumping this up in case anyone has had past or current experience with this builder. Thanks!
Jan 21, 2011
471 posts
193 upvotes
GTA
I have heard from a few different people that they like to use cheap materials in there builds, this from other builders, ex employees and seeing their properties my self.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1444 posts
2633 upvotes
Toronto
From my experience dealing with them, it was disappointing. That said a guy like @oasis100 would probably know more.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
[OP]
Jan 30, 2008
786 posts
273 upvotes
RichmondCA wrote: From my experience dealing with them, it was disappointing. That said a guy like @oasis100 would probably know more.
Can you expand more on what was disappointing? Was it the quality of the work...the price of upgrades, etc?
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14240 posts
10536 upvotes
lamin wrote: I have heard from a few different people that they like to use cheap materials in there builds, this from other builders, ex employees and seeing their properties my self.
Have heard the same.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1444 posts
2633 upvotes
Toronto
azia wrote: Can you expand more on what was disappointing? Was it the quality of the work...the price of upgrades, etc?
My experience was with their commercial/retail units they had for sale in Stouffville. Units were ok, mostly the experience dealing with them, the number of use case restrictions, general communication, and vagueness on completion timelines, etc. I know there were some severe delays on that project and some people were trying to offload their units because they had to find alternatives. I am not sure what their residential side is like, but I can't imagine it being much better.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Nov 30, 2009
479 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto/Mississauga
I just recently got occupancy at a new build with them and I have about 40 items on my Tarion 30-Day warranty form. Seems like their subcontractors rushed the job and the workmanship for some items like the tiling, grout, trimwork, etc. are very poor. I have a closet opening with sliding doors where the opening is 1/2" wider at the bottom than it is at the top so there's an obvious gap when the door is closed even if you make some adjustments on the doors. I do work in the construction management industry so I may look out for these things more than the regular new-build homeowner, but doesn't really give them an excuse to cut corners.

We'll see how hard of the time they'll give me about these items, once they start going through the list.
Jan 15, 2021
53 posts
25 upvotes
Are these 40 things something an inspector will pick up on when you close?
Nov 30, 2009
479 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto/Mississauga
mattsky wrote: Are these 40 things something an inspector will pick up on when you close?
Depends on what kind of eye the inspector has, but probably not.
Jan 15, 2021
53 posts
25 upvotes
Perfect...I'll have to pay attention to details when I close. I'm sure most new builds have discrepancies. Can't imagine everything is perfect right off the hop when they have tight deadlines and build so many.
Nov 30, 2009
479 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto/Mississauga
mattsky wrote: Perfect...I'll have to pay attention to details when I close. I'm sure most new builds have discrepancies. Can't imagine everything is perfect right off the hop when they have tight deadlines and build so many.
It really depends how much you know on what is right or wrong in construction, tolerances, your eye for levelness/plumbness/straightness and construction details. Sometimes some of the things aren't noticeable or stand out until you're in there a couple of days, for example in my house the grout job on all the wall tiling in the kitchen backsplash, bathtub, and ensuite shower is terrible (holes, divots, overgrouting). For them being a builder and letting their subcontractor walk away like that should be unacceptable in my eyes.
Jan 15, 2021
53 posts
25 upvotes
Yes I agree completely. They should all have the mindset as if they are building their own home and not cut corners to get it done faster. I'll have to watch out for things like this, thank you