Sorry If Already Answered Ontario Safety Check engine Light On

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 10:48 am
[OP]
Oct 3, 2017
646 posts
476 upvotes

Sorry If Already Answered Ontario Safety Check engine Light On

First off I tried searching on the web and in these threads and came up short.
I am thinking of selling a car that should easily pass an Ontario Safety inspection however the CEL has been on for over a year with what I think is an evap cannister code (it's been a while since I scanned it but otherwise engine runs fine.

What are the regs for getting a safety with the CEL illuminated?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5081 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
If it's safety related, the safety tech won't safety it and charge you $100 on top of safety cost for diagnostic fee.

Better to spend $5 on ebay for obd2 adapter and clear the code before bringing it to the shop. Make sure it does stay off for few days or atleast a day. Or just sell your car as is and sweep all your problems to the next person.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4567 posts
1929 upvotes
Ottawa
If the CEL is on because of an ABS, stability control, steering position sensor, airbag, etc it will not pass safety and a cheap scan tool will neither read nor clear these codes anyway. Chances are, though, it's none of these (there would be other MIL illuminated if it was).

I do wonder if it's wise to do a safety while leaving a CEL glaring at potential buyers.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2017
646 posts
476 upvotes
Capt You are right but the code is for the evap cannister which really doesn't affect how the car performs in the least. But I did want to know if it was a no pass item and it appears you have answered my question. Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2697 posts
1937 upvotes
Evap is not safety related
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3741 posts
3839 upvotes
GTA
The inspection standard mentions "tell-tales". These are warning lights on the dash. The vehicle is to be rejected if the BRAKE (3.5.c), TCS (11.2.a), and/or SRS (11.2.b) lights are on.

The vehicle should pass if the CEL/MIL, ABS, or TPMS lights are on. They just have to be noted on the inspection report.

EVAP is a CEL/MIL code.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2017
646 posts
476 upvotes
Yes the code is P1457.

It's been on for 18 months. No smell leaks or performance issues.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7951 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
In Drive Clean days, having the CEL on was an automatic fail and I believe that's why some people believe it still is. But, as others have said, for safety test, you will fail only if code was triggered for safety issues.