Real Estate

Sort Realtor.ca Based on Broker / Salesperson?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2016 11:56 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11233 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
Tereno wrote: Would you have any thoughts on how to pick a realtor and what makes a good realtor?
Ok here we go....

So I have a CFA designation and over 10 years of real estate experience. I started in real estate in very technical roles...I used to work for Calloway REIT/SmartCentres and First Capital Realty in financial and valuation roles. Needless to say, market analysis and valuation was key in those roles. I became a mortgage broker and real estate agent shortly after.

When I got into the industry, I was shocked to notice how many successful agents knew very little about valuation and analyzing the present market. To me, this is one of the important skills an agent can have. Clients always get nervous when it comes to receiving (sellers) and giving (buyers) offers and the negotiating process. I always say the same thing to them...if you (we) know what the asset is worth, there is no way we will end up on the short end. You have to know what the value of an asset (real estate in this case) is to be in control. I find that a lot of agents can't do this and this is why there are some wonky pricing and sales in the market.

At the end of the day, buyers want to buy cheap and sellers want to sell high (I know this isn't the only important item, but it is a big one). If you know the current market and know the value of the property in that market, you have a much better chance at achieving that goal. That to me is a big item when it comes to picking a good realtor.

Just my opinion.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
kato05 wrote: So we're down to ad hominem attacks? If you want to believe the industry is perfectly competitive and beyond improvement in any form, all the power to you. Our discussion on the board on here doesn't change anything out there, so if you can't hold a discussion without resorting to insults then the discussion ends here as far as I'm concerned, good day to you.
Don't be so sensitive. It is not an ad hominem attack, but rather the observations I have made just as your observations can be interpreted as applying to every Realtor and thus is an ad hominem. I don't ever do the politically correct sugar coating nonsense anymore than I expect you or any other member to.