• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2019 3:29 pm
[OP]
Aug 11, 2018
71 posts
63 upvotes
Edmonton

Sound Bar - Need Advice

Hi all. Recently purchased a 55" Vizio P55-F1 for my living room. Very happy with the quality of the picture, but the speakers are truly terrible.

I'd like to add a sound bar but don't have any experience with them - it's not an overly large room and I'm looking for something to do the job that comes in a lower or middle pricing tier.

Any help in terms of specific units or specs to look out for would be greatly appreciated!
9 replies
Jul 15, 2003
423 posts
183 upvotes
I've been very happy for the last couple of years with my Vizio 3851 soundbar I got from Costco.

5.1 support with wireless speakers. Great sound. No issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
dan780 wrote: Hi all. Recently purchased a 55" Vizio P55-F1 for my living room. Very happy with the quality of the picture, but the speakers are truly terrible.

I'd like to add a sound bar but don't have any experience with them - it's not an overly large room and I'm looking for something to do the job that comes in a lower or middle pricing tier.

Any help in terms of specific units or specs to look out for would be greatly appreciated!
Budget?
[OP]
Aug 11, 2018
71 posts
63 upvotes
Edmonton
Budget-wise, TV was $599 so I’d say ~50% of that would be the rough target in this case.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10596 posts
2978 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a surround sound bar. Next time I'm just going to grab some edifier 1280bt's . Will do the job well enough and more.
Dec 26, 2010
3 posts
1 upvote
I bought the Bose Solo soundbar a Costco. It was more expensive than one's we'd seen at Walmart, but I'm pretty happy with the sound quality. It's an optical connection out of the TV, and has Bluetooth for other connectivity.
Oct 15, 2008
172 posts
71 upvotes
Windsor
I bought the Samsung soundbar with wireless subwoofer from Costco when it was on sale at Christmas time. I think it was around $300. Optical from TV to soundbar and Bluetooth to anything else you'd want. Not earth shaking sound, but to get some additional volume and some thump, its plenty for a family room. Neat part about it is that the "screen" is hidden within the soundbar, so there is no obvious screen....its nice as it just disappears unless you are changing some feature of the soundbar.
Jul 7, 2019
667 posts
531 upvotes
Hi Chew1e, I'm looking for a soundbar as well. Do you recall the model you got? And if Costco still sells it?
Oct 15, 2008
172 posts
71 upvotes
Windsor
Sorry MotoCross817, I don't recall.....I'll see if I can find a document/manual tonight.