[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2413 posts
2758 upvotes
Toronto

Sound bars.....

Hi all,

Wish to get the lowdown on sound bars as i am thinking things are changing these days. Namely in regards to how many pieces of equipment in a 5,1. 3.1 & 2.1 soundbar.

In the old days i had a regular 5.1 channel full system with audio/video receiver with all the speakers.

I went to a smaller Vizio 5.1 sound bar and it has only the sound bar (1 piece for front left, center, right) channels, 2 discrete rear speakers (2 pieces rear right and left) and sub woofer (1 piece). So in total 5 channels of regular sound, 1 channel for the bass in the sub-woofer and a TOTAL OF 4 PIECES of equipment.

If i am not mistaken i am seeing soundbar systems claiming 5.1 however in the pictures they do not show the rear speakers, is it a glitch in the picture. I do not see the pieces spelled out in the specifications either?

Same with 3.1 and 2.1 systems, sometimes i do not see a separate sub-woofer thinking what are they doing sticking it in the sound bar itself.

I'm a bit confused in if i am missing something...in the old days at a minimum you had a soundbar for the front three channels, separate speakers for the rear two channels, separate sub-woofer as you need some size to pump out bass.

Once someone can explain it a bit better to me perhaps they can give an economical 3.1 and 5.1 system for a very small condominium that my daughter is in. For a large system in my day Onkyo was always good option, dropping to the smaller sound bars which are better for condominiums or small living rooms Sony, Visio and Samsung seem to be good options. Seeing my daughters condo is very small i am actually thinking of going very minimal in a 3.1 system, however 5.1 might still be on the list.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6534 posts
3125 upvotes
Durham
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Hi all,

Wish to get the lowdown on sound bars as i am thinking things are changing these days. Namely in regards to how many pieces of equipment in a 5,1. 3.1 & 2.1 soundbar.

In the old days i had a regular 5.1 channel full system with audio/video receiver with all the speakers.

I went to a smaller Vizio 5.1 sound bar and it has only the sound bar (1 piece for front left, center, right) channels, 2 discrete rear speakers (2 pieces rear right and left) and sub woofer (1 piece). So in total 5 channels of regular sound, 1 channel for the bass in the sub-woofer and a TOTAL OF 4 PIECES of equipment.

If i am not mistaken i am seeing soundbar systems claiming 5.1 however in the pictures they do not show the rear speakers, is it a glitch in the picture. I do not see the pieces spelled out in the specifications either?

Same with 3.1 and 2.1 systems, sometimes i do not see a separate sub-woofer thinking what are they doing sticking it in the sound bar itself.

I'm a bit confused in if i am missing something...in the old days at a minimum you had a soundbar for the front three channels, separate speakers for the rear two channels, separate sub-woofer as you need some size to pump out bass.

Once someone can explain it a bit better to me perhaps they can give an economical 3.1 and 5.1 system for a very small condominium that my daughter is in. For a large system in my day Onkyo was always good option, dropping to the smaller sound bars which are better for condominiums or small living rooms Sony, Visio and Samsung seem to be good options. Seeing my daughters condo is very small i am actually thinking of going very minimal in a 3.1 system, however 5.1 might still be on the list.
Wrong forum ....

A quick search on RFD:

soundbar-500-less-2420943/#p33519219

soundbar-comparison-2415570/#p33394331

looking-soundbar-sub-recommendations-2405020/#p33167356

5-1-soundbars-2406916/#p33217132

looking-right-sound-bar-2382418/#p32694390

Or even better .... look through the HOME THEATER THREAD: home-theater-discussion-thread-1099126/61/
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2413 posts
2758 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you so much for the thoughtful advice on correct forum, i appreciate it very much when i get an explaination as to why it is the wrong forum and by viewing the related threads as i pulled them up to see the correct forum is computers and electronics.

My apologies, can the moderator please move and close this thread down, i honestly made a mistake and will visit some of the threads you kindly linked.

Cheers,
Blitz
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
20222 posts
7074 upvotes
Toronto
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Thank you so much for the thoughtful advice on correct forum, i appreciate it very much when i get an explaination as to why it is the wrong forum and by viewing the related threads as i pulled them up to see the correct forum is computers and electronics.

My apologies, can the moderator please move and close this thread down, i honestly made a mistake and will visit some of the threads you kindly linked.

Cheers,
Blitz
Usually, when something is in the wrong forum it automatically gets moved by a mod to the correct forum = no worries.
Not sure what happened here...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
14085 posts
4748 upvotes
I wonder if having good set of headphones is better than sound bar. All the sounds in your ears without wake up family and neighbours who are sleeping.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)