Computers & Electronics

Sounds strange but want a large screen tab on our fridge

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2021 3:12 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 8, 2020
379 posts
132 upvotes
Bc canada

Sounds strange but want a large screen tab on our fridge

Im looking to find a tablet to put on my fridege similiar to the hub on a samsung fridge. Link says galaxy view is an option but its to heavy i feel. I will be using this for our nest video so need at least a 11 inch screen.
I’d like something with a longer battery life something not heavy and a larger screen.
Here is the link so you understand what I’m trying to do. Or maybe somebody’s done it already.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nhaparts.co ... rigerator/
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
The problem will be securing it to the fridge. The first time it falls, game over.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9957 posts
4239 upvotes
Vaughan
Why? May be leave it on your counter next to your fridge.
...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Charging it will be a pain
Unless it has a nuclear battery your not going to get away from regular charging.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1390 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
Dejavudiva wrote: Im looking to find a tablet to put on my fridege similiar to the hub on a samsung fridge. Link says galaxy view is an option but its to heavy i feel. I will be using this for our nest video so need at least a 11 inch screen.
I’d like something with a longer battery life something not heavy and a larger screen.
Here is the link so you understand what I’m trying to do. Or maybe somebody’s done it already.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nhaparts.co ... rigerator/
go redgreen with it and have some fun

get some over door hangers and extended them to mount your tablet
get a long charging cable and run in with door closed so when it opens it will not catch on anything
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
23245 posts
4684 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kr0zet wrote: The problem will be securing it to the fridge. The first time it falls, game over.
securing it to the fridge would not be an issue, just use magnets. The issue is going to be charging it. Also doable, but I don't see any way to make it a clean solution. As long as OP is ok with a cord that is visible on the outside of the fridge, this should be fairly easy to accomplish.

I have a tablet mounted on my wall, but it's much easier to hide the cord because it's just behind the tablet.




Not having really looked into it, I'm just gonig to guess your most affordable option would be a Fire HD tablet, and just have the Nest software loaded on it. I don't think a battery solution is going to work out great for you though, I'd just find a way to get a cord on the fridge that doesn't go anywhere when the door is opened.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
Evil Baby wrote: securing it to the fridge would not be an issue, just use magnets. The issue is going to be charging it. Also doable, but I don't see any way to make it a clean solution. As long as OP is ok with a cord that is visible on the outside of the fridge, this should be fairly easy to accomplish.

I have a tablet mounted on my wall, but it's much easier to hide the cord because it's just behind the tablet.


Not having really looked into it, I'm just gonig to guess your most affordable option would be a Fire HD tablet, and just have the Nest software loaded on it. I don't think a battery solution is going to work out great for you though, I'd just find a way to get a cord on the fridge that doesn't go anywhere when the door is opened.
While I agree that Magnets would be an option, they would have to be some pretty powerful magnets. Despite my best efforts my kids don't close the fridge door very gently. At least once a week I have to collect the family calendar off the floor and its got a pretty good magnet on the back of it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
23245 posts
4684 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kr0zet wrote: While I agree that Magnets would be an option, they would have to be some pretty powerful magnets. Despite my best efforts my kids don't close the fridge door very gently. At least once a week I have to collect the family calendar off the floor and its got a pretty good magnet on the back of it.
Fairly cheap earth magnets would fix that issue. It takes both hands for me to get my tablet off the wall when I want to.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
2037 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
Why not get one of those fridges with a PC builtin?
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
kramer1 wrote: Why not get one of those fridges with a PC builtin?
Because they are garbage and over priced. At least with a tablet you have the option of the OS/ecosystem you want to use, not the proprietary sansung garbageware that is installed on most of these screen in a fridge devices you see at home depot.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
2037 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
So install your own OS on it? Also isn't it just Windows anyway

Also I don't get this RFD thing of members replying to members. My reply was meant for the OP. If they have concerns about it, then they can bring them up. Why are you poking holes in my argument? Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet who are not even talking to you in the first place?
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
kramer1 wrote: So install your own OS on it? Also isn't it just Windows anyway

Also I don't get this RFD thing of members replying to members. My reply was meant for the OP. If they have concerns about it, then they can bring them up. Why are you poking holes in my argument? Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet who are not even talking to you in the first place?
Nobody is 'Arguing' with you nor 'poking holes'. You offered a point the the discussion about the original post, I offered a counter point. That's how this works... You're not having a one on one conversation with the OP, your at a party with lots of people. If you are looking for a way to share your opinion with just the original poster, use the PM function. That way you can have a one on one conversation without anyone else offering a counter point.

If your goal is to offer an opinion with no one offering a counter point then you need to write a blog and turn off commenting. Internet forums are a medium for the many to share opinions and ideas.

Lastly you seem to be taking it personally, not sure why as no one singled you out, fought with you, called you names... And I am currently between things to do so if I want to offer my opinion on RFD, I don't see a problem with it.

PS - you cant change the OS on most refrigerators with a screen. Currently samsung uses the tizen OS running the Family Hub app as a front end.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4987 posts
1675 upvotes
Specifically about mounting, a potential do it yourself method could be using 3M command hooks to create a frame the tablet could sit in or slide into. For the power cable get a cord extension and hide it away when the tablet doesn't need charging.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2020
1145 posts
1293 upvotes
S.E corner of Toront…
[OP] velco ... colour to match fridge. Since the tablet weighs less than 1kg it shouldn't be an issue.

2 or 4 strips or as many in length/width as required, cloth side on the tablet, the plastic side strips on the fridge.

for charging use velco pieces to anchor the charger cord horizontally along the hinge side of the fridge to the AC sock behind the fridge.

the small charger plug can dangle unobstructed on the hinge side of the fridge, wrap it round when needed to charge the tablet.needed
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14586 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
While I agree that Magnets would be an option, they would have to be some pretty powerful magnets. Despite my best efforts my kids don't close the fridge door very gently. At least once a week I have to collect the family calendar off the floor and its got a pretty good magnet on the back of it.
Are you using regular magnets? If so, there's your problem.
Grab some neodymium magnets and nothing will fall off again. They're not pretty but you can stick a sticker on it or something.
kramer1 wrote: So install your own OS on it? Also isn't it just Windows anyway
So I was actually curious to see if anyone has actually hacked a fridge. Turns out someone bought 2 Samsungs specifically for this, dismantled the one to get at the soft squishy insides (behind layers and layers of foam) to discover that it basically contains a Samsung Smart TV board but with a different firmware.
They managed to desolder the chip and xray thing to get the firmware but never posted the 2nd part of their post to say what neat things are on it.
These are definitely not x86 compatible hardware. They're not even ARM. The odds of being able to install literally anything but the factory firmware are slim to none. They weren't even able to man in the middle their own firmware because they couldn't decode the URL request scheme.

LG apparently has one with Windows native but I'm not sure it actually went into production.
Also I don't get this RFD thing of members replying to members. My reply was meant for the OP. If they have concerns about it, then they can bring them up. Why are you poking holes in my argument?
What if OP isn't knowledgeable to poke holes in your argument?
I don't get why you're angry someone else replied to your comment. If I was OP, I'd welcome fresh ideas and the "poking of holes" in said ideas to make sure they're viable.
The "install Windows" comment of yours for example. A general blanket statement like that is going to be mostly wrong. There may be one brand where you are able to hack it to some degree, but not every fridge is going to be hackable. Even if it was, it may not be practical in any way.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet who are not even talking to you in the first place?
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
death_hawk wrote: That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
This is totally signature material Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14586 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: This is totally signature material Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Just for you buddy.
I hope it works because I have signatures turned off.

Also TIL that quoting doesn't work in signatures.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
death_hawk wrote: Just for you buddy.
I hope it works because I have signatures turned off.

Also TIL that quoting doesn't work in signatures.
Cool!

I've changed my RFD signature a few times over the years, my current one is pretty good. I have not felt the urge to change it yet though i had another good candidate the other day that i can't remember off the top of my head.

Currently mine says: In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Though i am pretty sure you can toss a quote in your signature somehow, i saw someone on RFD do it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)