• Feb 5th, 2006 12:22 am
Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2005
95 posts
2 upvotes
West Coast
"No soup for you!"

The Original SoupMan is cooking up the grand opening of its first Canadian restaurant at Bayshore Shopping Centre on Dec. 19. The Original SoupMan features the soups of Al Yeganeh, the legendary soup man who inspired the famous "Soup Episode " on Seinfeld.

Long before there was Jerry Seinfeld, New Yorkers and tourists alike waited for hours in all kinds of weather for a taste of Mr. Yeganeh's much-heralded lobster bisque, jambalaya or turkey chili. He is the founder of the Soup Kitchen International restaurant, located at Eighth Ave. and 55th St. in New York City, has been making his world-renowned soups since 1984.

The franchise development group, Original SoupMan Canada, is comprised of a team of Canadian investors, led by president and CEO Brian McAsey, an Ottawa-based lawyer. "The opening of our first store in Ottawa is only the beginning of our exciting journey to bring Al's wonderful and wholesome creations to soup-loving Canadians from coast to coast, " he said.

Mr. McAsey's group plans to open at least 100 Original SoupMan locations throughout Canada in the next five years and will open its second unit in the Toronto Eaton Centre next February.

"Al is truly an international icon, and has been an established brand for over 20 years. We're proud to make his soups available throughout Canada, " said John Bello, chairman and CEO of Soup Kitchen International Inc., the brand's parent company in the U.S. Mr. Bello founded the company that makes the SoBe line of nutritional beverages, South Beach Beverage Co., which he sold to PepsiCo Inc. for US$370 million in 2001.

The Original SoupMan will also present a $5,000 donation from its charitable foundation "Soup for Life " to the Ottawa organization, Shepherds of Good Hope. Soup For Life, headed by Baseball Hall of Fame Legend Reggie Jackson, donates funds to local hunger charities each time a new Original Soupman restaurant opens.

The Bayshore location will feature over 45 of Al Yeganeh's soups, such as turkey chili, mulligatawny, lobster & shrimp bisques, New England clam chowder, Italian wedding soup, garden vegetable, vegetarian soups, and many more. All soups are served with freshly baked bread, fresh fruit, and a small piece of chocolate - just as Mr. Yeganeh serves it at his original New York location.

http://archive.ottawabusinessjournal.co ... A%09%09%09
"My take home pay doesn't even take me home."
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
So, if this is a franchise...are they actually making the 45 soups in the store?

If not no packaged soup is worth 7 bucks.

If you want awesome Seafood soup/chowder some great places are Merivale Fish Market in Nepean, Lapointes fish, Coasters restaurant or for a fancy place try the Boillbaise at L'oree du Bois in Wakefeild (pricey @$25...but serves 6-8 people, made to order w lots of fresh seafood!)
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
[OP]
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
707 posts
Steeve Urkel wrote:So, if this is a franchise...are they actually making the 45 soups in the store?

If not no packaged soup is worth 7 bucks.

If you want awesome Seafood soup/chowder some great places are Merivale Fish Market in Nepean, Lapointes fish, Coasters restaurant or for a fancy place try the Boillbaise at L'oree du Bois in Wakefeild (pricey @$25...but serves 6-8 people, made to order w lots of fresh seafood!)
Lapointes in bells corners is now more of a set down resturant witch is turning some people away.It used to be a take out joint with a few seats.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12113 posts
3086 upvotes
Ottawa
I've tried quite a few flavours, and all of them have been very good so far. The soup is very expensive, and I think it's a hard sell among the average demographic of Bayshore Mall/Ottawa, and the place looks empty much of the time, so I can't see this place as being sustainable. People seem more eager to flock to the KFC/Taco Bell Meal Deals two doors down than to eat premium soups.

The priciest soups are the seafood ones and cost like $9+tax for a rather tiny bowl incl some bread and a fruit, and makes a good light meal. There are definitely huge chunks of meat/veggies in there. You can almost really eat it with a fork. They definitely taste like a premium soup. I think we are probably getting a "deal" on the price compared to the actual restaurant in NYC where the Soup Nazi operates his restaurant.

The soups are actually imported in frozen from a central location in the US (supposedly done this way to meet the strict standards of Al the Soup Nazi himself, wouldn't want the francisees to do their own interpretation of the recipes)
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.