Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Acer Aspire E1-531-4836 15.6 Laptop $299.96 (Open Box)

[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London

[The Source] Acer Aspire E1-531-4836 15.6 Laptop $299.96 (Open Box)

Hi, I think this is a pretty good deal for this laptop, as the specs are comparable to the two $249 laptops available right now at Microsoft Store (Dell 15-3531 and Asus X551MAV) except this model has an optical drive, which neither of those have (confirmed, I have both). It appears to be a bit of an older model compared to those, as it has Win 8 (not 8.1), and is a display model/open box, however for under $300 I still think this is pretty good value. It includes the full 1 yr manufacturer's warranty, and is available online only with free home shipping. I just wanted to share for those on a budget who may need a new laptop.

It was previously posted on RFD last December for $368 ($60 off):
http://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/comput ... -notebook/

Also right now Ebates is giving double cash back at The Source, so save 4% ($12.00).

Features
Processor: Intel® Pentium® B960 Dual Core (2 MB L3 cache, 2.2 GHz)
4GB DDR3 Dual-Channel memory
Hard Drive: 500GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
Screen Size: 15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display
Software: Acer Backup Manager, Acer eRecovery Management, Acer ePower Management1, Adobe Flash Player 11.x, Adobe Reader 10.x, eSobi™, Bing bar™, Internet Explorer 9, Kobo, McAfee Internet Security Suite Trial, Microsoft Office Trial and Windows Live Essentials

Specifications:

Processor
Processor Type: Intel® Pentium® B960 Dual Core
Processor Speed: 2.2GHz
Processor Cores: 2
Processor Cache: Level-3, 2MB
Memory
RAM: 4GB
RAM Type: DDR3
RAM Expandable to: Info not available
Storage/Drives
Hard Drive Capacity: 500GB
Hard Drive Speed: 5400RPM
Solid State Drive: Info not available
Solid State Drive Capacity: Info not available
Optical Drive: 8x DVD Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
Display
Screen Type: LED
Screen Size: 15.6"
Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768
Expansion
HDMI: Yes
USB 2.0: 3
USB 3.0: N/A
VGA Input: Yes
Memory Card Reader: Yes
Memory Card Supported: SD/MMC
Internet/Networking
Ethernet: Yes (RJ-45 port)
Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth: Info not available
Graphics/Video
Graphic Chipset: Intel HD Graphics
Dedicated Video Memory: 128MB
Wireless Display (WiDi) capable: Info not available
Software
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8
Preloaded Software: Acer Backup Manager, Acer eRecovery Management, Acer ePower Management1, Adobe Flash Player 11.x, Adobe Reader 10.x, eSobi, Bing bar, Internet Explorer 9, Kobo, McAfee Internet Security Suite Trial, Microsoft Office Trial and Windows Live Essentials
Battery
Battery Type: Li-ion
Battery Size: 6-cell
Approximate Battery Life: 4 hours
Energy Star Qualified: Info not available
Accessories
Pointing Device: Touchpad
Numeric Keyboard: Yes
Backlit Keyboard: Yes
Integrated Microphone: Yes
Webcam: Info not available
Speaker Wattage: Info not available
Dimensions
Thickness (closed): 3.47cm
Width: 38.1cm
Depth: 25.3cm
Weight: 2.4kgs
UPC: 886541788054; Manufacturer's Model Number: NX.M12AA.003; Product Warranty: 12-months

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/epr981.jpg[/IMG]
8 replies
Jul 1, 2009
264 posts
71 upvotes
Victoriaville
I have a similar Acer Laptop from 2 years ago. Works great. But that keyboard layout is killing me every time I try to type on that thing. But that's the only con on my 299$ laptop.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London
doduv2 wrote: I have a similar Acer Laptop from 2 years ago. Works great. But that keyboard layout is killing me every time I try to type on that thing. But that's the only con on my 299$ laptop.
Good to know, thanks. What do you dislike about the layout - is it that it's off to the left because of the numeric keypad?
Jul 1, 2009
264 posts
71 upvotes
Victoriaville
No space between the keys means it's difficult to know where your fingers are without looking. Also, the arrows keys are very small making you miss the arrow you wanted to strike (striking up instead of left or right for example). Some of the combinations you need to do are not intuitive (Fn + another key).

By the way, you can have a different look at the layout on the acer page for this model (http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.M12AA.004). or here : http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/ ... 587_05.png
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London
Thanks for the info doduv2 :) I happened to come across those images too when searching for that model. The layout is actually very similar to my current Toshiba laptop, which has no space between the keys, so hopefully will be fine for me...I guess it's just whatever you're most used to.
Jul 1, 2009
264 posts
71 upvotes
Victoriaville
kayeyeare wrote: I guess it's just whatever you're most used to.
Exactly ! I type on a generic Microsoft keyboard everyday at work and before my Acer, I had a Compaq notebook with a similar generic microsoft layout (for 7 years).

The worst I have ever tried was my mother-inlaw's HP. It had a similar layout to the acer but with additional keys on the left. So instead of striking SHIFT you'd be striking the help button all the time... And you were always 1 key off.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London
doduv2 wrote: Exactly ! I type on a generic Microsoft keyboard everyday at work and before my Acer, I had a Compaq notebook with a similar generic microsoft layout (for 7 years).

The worst I have ever tried was my mother-inlaw's HP. It had a similar layout to the acer but with additional keys on the left. So instead of striking SHIFT you'd be striking the help button all the time... And you were always 1 key off.
Lol, that would be annoying. My mother's Toshiba laptop has no numeric keypad so her keyboard is centered, and when I try and type on it I just get a bunch of gobbledygook!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2054 upvotes
Canadia
I paid $299 for one of these new at Future Shop in October 2012. I'd be concerned about the quality of the battery of a machine that has been sitting plugged in at a store for several years.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London
retrothing wrote: I paid $299 for one of these new at Future Shop in October 2012. I'd be concerned about the quality of the battery of a machine that has been sitting plugged in at a store for several years.
Thanks, I just spoke to an online chat rep at The Source. They said being a display model it would have been in a store on display at some point, I was told "the battery life should be the same as a brand new model" and "the unit was never using the battery as far as I know, it would have always been plugged in...locked into the same spot, it wouldn't have been able to be moved from the same spot in the store or unplugged". They also mentioned there should be no problems with the battery, but it is covered by the full 1 yr manufacturer warranty (after 30-day return policy expires), so it could be replaced if need be...they said "so if anything goes wrong with it, they will have it fully repaired or replaced if it cannot be repaired".

Was it the exact same model# you got in 2012? This one is reg. $429 at The Source, and was $428 reg. price at Visions when sale price of $368 was posted last December. (http://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/comput ... -notebook/)