Jul 23, 2007
235 posts
282 upvotes
Montreal

The source - Cannot buy floor model TV without box

Hi everyone
I am not sure where to ask this question
Might as well ask it in a TV deal thread
(Moderator please point me to the right place before deleting my post please if I’m in the wrong place)
I was at The Source today
And I saw a floor model on clearance
Samsung 40in 4K smart HDR NU7100 (not sure of the model) for 100$
I though about for 2 min then decided to pull the trigger
The sales guy said let me see if I have the box
He came back to tell me there was no box and no remote so he can’t sell it to me
I told him I can live without the box
Then he was about to enter it at the cash but decided to double check with his boss (I’m assuming store manager) by calling him
He hung up and said store manager says without box and remote they cannot sell it because there will be transport and warranty issues
I argued polite with him for 5 min but he wouldn’t budge
He took down my number and said he’ll try again with his boss and call me back later during the day
He didn’t call me back yet
Anyone had similar experience?
Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1067 posts
1581 upvotes
scarborough
sky1213 wrote: Hi everyone
I am not sure where to ask this question
Might as well ask it in a TV deal thread
(Moderator please point me to the right place before deleting my post please if I’m in the wrong place)
I was at The Source today
And I saw a floor model on clearance
Samsung 40in 4K smart HDR NU7100 (not sure of the model) for 100$
I though about for 2 min then decided to pull the trigger
The sales guy said let me see if I have the box
He came back to tell me there was no box and no remote so he can’t sell it to me
I told him I can live without the box
Then he was about to enter it at the cash but decided to double check with his boss (I’m assuming store manager) by calling him
He hung up and said store manager says without box and remote they cannot sell it because there will be transport and warranty issues
I argued polite with him for 5 min but he wouldn’t budge
He took down my number and said he’ll try again with his boss and call me back later during the day
He didn’t call me back yet
Anyone had similar experience?
Thanks
I bet you a staff member has it on hold. I would be surprised if its no long there
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1481 posts
121 upvotes
Likely, no remote and no box implies no warranty card for you to register your product. A lot of big box stores will tell you to work with the manufacturer if it doesn't work. If there's no documentation then you can't do that and liability resides on the retailer. For $100, margins are probably too low for them to assume that responsibility. Just my experience in retail.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2007
235 posts
282 upvotes
Montreal
fly wrote: Likely, no remote and no box implies no warranty card for you to register your product. A lot of big box stores will tell you to work with the manufacturer if it doesn't work. If there's no documentation then you can't do that and liability resides on the retailer. For $100, margins are probably too low for them to assume that responsibility. Just my experience in retail.
Thanks
That is more or less what he told me
But at that price...
I wouldn’t mind signing something waiving them of any after sales support or responsibility
I can pretend I bought it from a garage sale
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3705 posts
3890 upvotes
GTA
fly wrote: Likely, no remote and no box implies no warranty card for you to register your product. A lot of big box stores will tell you to work with the manufacturer if it doesn't work. If there's no documentation then you can't do that and liability resides on the retailer. For $100, margins are probably too low for them to assume that responsibility. Just my experience in retail.
Who uses a warranty card to register anymore. All you need is the model and serial number which will be on the TV and go to their website to register. You must also keep your receipt.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2948 posts
1595 upvotes
London
email facebook@thesource.ca someone from the head office will get back to u. give them the store location and your phone no so someone can call u.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2276 posts
3390 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: email facebook@thesource.ca someone from the head office will get back to u. give them the store location and your phone no so someone can call u.
Twitter is your friends. Its amazing how companies are suddenly willing to right a wrong once an issue is made public.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15421 posts
29346 upvotes
Scarborough
KravenHead wrote: Twitter is your friends. Its amazing how companies are suddenly willing to right a wrong once an issue is made public.
Twitter is usually pretty good, but The Source hasn't had a Twitter account in a long time.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1481 posts
121 upvotes
True, I registered my tv through the SmartTV app. Just wasn't sure how "smart" the TV is. Still, some stores won't budge as the warranty card has a bunch of disclaimers.
tew wrote: Who uses a warranty card to register anymore. All you need is the model and serial number which will be on the TV and go to their website to register. You must also keep your receipt.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4444 posts
3952 upvotes
Toronto
So if their policy is not to sell without a box, why did they get rid of their box?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1078 posts
630 upvotes
London, On
jm1 wrote: So if their policy is not to sell without a box, why did they get rid of their box?
Probably either an overzealous new employee who saw an empty box in the back room and added it to their garbage run. Or, as someone suggested above, an employee knows the policy, so they tossed the box knowing they might be able to but it themselves because they can't sell it to the public.