The Source - Dishonest Price Match Policy

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2023 1:15 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
470 posts
321 upvotes

The Source - Dishonest Price Match Policy

Went to The Source tonight to price match the physical version of Super Mario Odyssey for the Switch. Both Best Buy and Game Stop have the game on sale for $54.99 while The Source sells it for the regular price of $79.99. The reason why I wanted to buy it at the The Source is because I have gift cards and wanted to use them.

The store clerk refused to do a price match because as of today, Dec. 15th, The Source is suspending their price matching policy during the Holidays and that will remain in effect until Jan. 15th. There is no mention of this on their website. What other store does that???

So I decided to chat with them online once I got home. I never asked if their policy was in effect. I simply went ahead and requested a price match. I provided the link from Best Buy and was told the price match was being denied because the product code was different (HCCPAAACA). I told the agent that it was the exact same game but he said the product code had to match.

So I gave him the link to GameStop. Once again, he denied the price match because this time, he couldn't find the product code on the website.

I've had it with The Source. first they didn't honor a iPhone deal during Cyber Monday and now they are bending over backward to deny a price match. Why have such a policy if you really don't want to price match the competition?
14 replies
Oct 18, 2017
716 posts
1411 upvotes
New Brunswick
Lukus2017 wrote: The store clerk refused to do a price match because as of today, Dec. 15th, The Source is suspending their price matching policy during the Holidays and that will remain in effect until Jan. 15th. There is no mention of this on their website. What other store does that???
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/bestPrice
No price adjustments will be allowed during major holiday promotions including Black Friday and Boxing Week promotional periods with the exception of specific criteria under our Price Now Guarantee.

Their holiday flyer started today. Nothing their in store rep told you was wrong.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
470 posts
321 upvotes
TheCaffeinatedSloth wrote: https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/bestPrice
No price adjustments will be allowed during major holiday promotions including Black Friday and Boxing Week promotional periods with the exception of specific criteria under our Price Now Guarantee.

Their holiday flyer started today. Nothing their in store rep told you was wrong.
Boxing week is the week between Xmas and New Year, December 15 is not during that period. Rep was wrong.

Rep also said the price match suspension would stay in effect until January 15. Which Holiday are they referring to because after January 1st, the Holidays are over with.

So please enlighten me as to what other stores conveniently suspends their price matching policy during this arbitrary selected period?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15803 posts
21529 upvotes
Vancouver
TheCaffeinatedSloth wrote: https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/bestPrice

You mean it's already Boxing Week?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15803 posts
21529 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm surprised The Source is still around. Vancouver used to have at least 6 or 7 of them. There are none left. You have to go out to the suburbs if you want to visit one.
If I had a gift card from The Source I wouldn't even know how to use it. Sorry to hear this OP.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
470 posts
321 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I'm surprised The Source is still around. Vancouver used to have at least 6 or 7 of them. There are none left. You have to go out to the suburbs if you want to visit one.
If I had a gift card from The Source I wouldn't even know how to use it. Sorry to hear this OP.
The only reason they are still around is because they are Bell's main point of sale for their products/services. They disguise their store with some electronics.
Oct 18, 2017
716 posts
1411 upvotes
New Brunswick
Lukus2017 wrote: Boxing week is the week between Xmas and New Year, December 15 is not during that period. Rep was wrong.

Rep also said the price match suspension would stay in effect until January 15. Which Holiday are they referring to because after January 1st, the Holidays are over with.

So please enlighten me as to what other stores conveniently suspends their price matching policy during this arbitrary selected period?
Since when do retailers actually *just* do sales during said holiday? As seen with Black Friday, retailers start doing their sales weeks prior. And also “Extended xx” sales. Boxing Day is no different. Did you look at the source flyer? They have Boxing Day all throughout.

Jan 15 is when their holiday extended returns end, so it would appear they are using this as their timeline for the price match as well.

As for other retailers, well let’s see.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/payin ... -guarantee
The product’s price must not be lower due to an advertising error, misprint, or special sale price
Special sale prices include: Black Friday, Black Friday Month, Black Friday Prices Now and Early Black Friday Sales, Friends and Family, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day/Week, Black Friday in July, pre-orders, point-of-sale activation cards, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) prices, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, demos, refurbished items, open box items, and financing offers.

https://www.lowes.ca/customer-service/p ... tch-policy
Competitor close-out, errors or misprints, discontinued, clearance, liquidation, special order, damaged items, delivery, assembly, financing offers, short term door crashers / limited time sales (including Cyber Monday prices, Black Friday prices, Boxing Day/Week prices, etc.), member only pricing, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, limited or minimum quantity offers, and installation labour are excluded from this offer.

https://www.rona.ca/en/in-store-price-guarantee
Our Price Match Hassle Free offer does not apply to the following:
Competitor’s close-out prices;
Competitor’s errors in prices or misprints;
Competitors’ discontinued, used, refurbished or damaged products prices;
Competitor’s clearance and liquidation offers;
Competitor’s special orders prices (with the exception of Special Order major appliances);
Competitor’s Black Friday/Cyber Monday prices and Boxing Day/Week prices;

This was literally the first 3 retailers I googled.

Mic drop.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1681 posts
2422 upvotes
Victoria
Lukus2017 wrote: The only reason they are still around is because they are Bell's main point of sale for their products/services. They disguise their store with some electronics.
I always find a few things to grab from them every year. They are often price competitive plus have the extra discount for Virgin/Bell/Perkopolis members which makes them the lowest price on many of the things that they carry.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6560 posts
8321 upvotes
GTA
TheCaffeinatedSloth wrote: Since when do retailers actually *just* do sales during said holiday? As seen with Black Friday, retailers start doing their sales weeks prior. And also “Extended xx” sales. Boxing Day is no different. Did you look at the source flyer? They have Boxing Day all throughout.

Jan 15 is when their holiday extended returns end, so it would appear they are using this as their timeline for the price match as well.

The product’s price must not be lower due to an advertising error, misprint, or special sale price
Special sale prices include: Black Friday, Black Friday Month, Black Friday Prices Now and Early Black Friday Sales, Friends and Family, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day/Week, Black Friday in July, pre-orders, point-of-sale activation cards, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) prices, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, demos, refurbished items, open box items, and financing offers.

Competitor close-out, errors or misprints, discontinued, clearance, liquidation, special order, damaged items, delivery, assembly, financing offers, short term door crashers / limited time sales (including Cyber Monday prices, Black Friday prices, Boxing Day/Week prices, etc.), member only pricing, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, limited or minimum quantity offers, and installation labour are excluded from this offer.

Competitor’s special orders prices (with the exception of Special Order major appliances);

Mic drop.
The line that I highlighted is one of the dumbest reasons to deny a PM. Really, you can't PM during the extended return period. Never heard that one before.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1044 posts
1671 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
TheCaffeinatedSloth wrote: Since when do retailers actually *just* do sales during said holiday? As seen with Black Friday, retailers start doing their sales weeks prior. And also “Extended xx” sales. Boxing Day is no different. Did you look at the source flyer? They have Boxing Day all throughout.

Mic drop.
And the legends say OP was never to be seen in this thread again….
Apr 25, 2006
588 posts
62 upvotes
TheCaffeinatedSloth wrote: with the exception of specific criteria under our Price Now Guarantee.
What does The Source mean by Price Now Guarantee

I can't find anything on their website about "Price Now Guarantee"
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1249 posts
300 upvotes
Vancouver
Lukus2017 wrote: Boxing week is the week between Xmas and New Year, December 15 is not during that period. Rep was wrong.

Um boxing day sales sometimes start a week early at some places.

Price matching disputes like these ones is why stores hated offering price matches and got rid of them. It ruined it for everyone else. People who don't like to be told no and argue til blue in the face.
[external link removed]
Jul 22, 2006
688 posts
1321 upvotes
wilson_wu wrote: Um boxing day sales sometimes start a week early at some places.

Price matching disputes like these ones is why stores hated offering price matches and got rid of them. It ruined it for everyone else. People who don't like to be told no and argue til blue in the face.
Stores hated offering price matches and still hate them because the stores that still offer them try to find every way to deny them even if their policy says the price match can be done.

People argue until they're blue in the face because businesses don't want to follow their own policies that are spelled out in black and white. They make up bullcrap excuses like "it's below our cost" or it's a "limited time sale" of which all sales are limited time.

If businesses don't want to price match then remove the policy, otherwise they should just shut up, follow the rules set out that the consumer has diligently followed and quit lying and making up "local" policy that goes against corporate policy to deny the price match.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
470 posts
321 upvotes
canlabman wrote: Stores hated offering price matches and still hate them because the stores that still offer them try to find every way to deny them even if their policy says the price match can be done.

People argue until they're blue in the face because businesses don't want to follow their own policies that are spelled out in black and white. They make up bullcrap excuses like "it's below our cost" or it's a "limited time sale" of which all sales are limited time.

If businesses don't want to price match then remove the policy, otherwise they should just shut up, follow the rules set out that the consumer has diligently followed and quit lying and making up "local" policy that goes against corporate policy to deny the price match.
Couldn't agree more. Far too many retailers like to offer a price matching policy (or scanning code of conduct) as a way to reassure their customers that they are getting the best deal around but once the sale is done, they've got your money and don't really give a crap as they know most will just shut up or, like this Wilson person, will just bend over and take it.

I had a couple of bad experiences in the past. One was at Lowe's where I had a coupon for a discount if I spent over X amount. An item was on sale but I was still over the amount required. It scanned at the wrong price. I notified the cashier of the correct price and that their price scanning policy should apply. She called in the supervisor who at first didn't want to enforce the scanning code because I had told the cashier of the error BEFORE actually paying so her argument was that I never paid the wrong price. That made no sense to me and so I argued "til I was blue in the face". She reluctantly gave me a discount on the item but then said my coupon no longer was valid because the new total was less than the total required. Had they not made a scanning error, my coupon would have been good and my overall total would have been less than applying the scanning code policy.

My other experience was trying to price match a video game. Everyone knows that if you're buying the Luigi's Mansion 3 game, it's the same game no matter which store you buy it from. Yet, The Source would not price match saying their product code was different than the one of the 2 other stores I quoted that were selling it cheaper. Stores like to play with the product code just so they can avoid price matching. Best Buy is notorious with adding a couple of letters at the end of a product code (ie: -CA) just so they can use the argument that it's a different product.

I'm glad I'm not the only one resisting when retailers try to take advantage of consumers. Unfortunately, the problem will persists as long as there are Wilsons they can profit from.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2132 posts
1852 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
All price match policies everywhere are a pile of garbage. It’s been a fight since back when future shop was around. They would bring manager after manager, it’s below our cost!! Lol

Just recently PM’d some Castrol GTX @ HD and they were nitpicking on the packaging image as Walmart was showing the latest bottle design and their stock was the previous design. Not even worth the BS, I typically stay far away from PMs