Automotive

Source for good, cheap reliable starter motor?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 12:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Source for good, cheap reliable starter motor?

I need a starter motor for an '04 Toyota Corolla we're planning to keep until the wheels proverbially fall off. Starter is making the grinding noise so think it's better to pre-emptively replace it.

I guess I could get a rebuild at Lordco, NAPA or CT, or from Rockauto. Any preferred source for good, cheap, reliable?
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1235 posts
377 upvotes
I brought my starter for Civic from Hotspot automotive store. They probably sell new and rebuilt starter. I went with rebuilt starter for my Civic. The quality looked pretty good on starter, freshly painted etc. I think it DNS company in Montreal area that remanufacture it and is sold through Hotspot. It won't be cheap

I noticed some rebuilt parts such starter and alternator are more expensive than purchased new one. I am assuming quality is much better. The trick is to find which company rebuilt parts that are highly in demand.
Oct 3, 2017
685 posts
516 upvotes
Around here there are auto parts jobbers who sell and deliver to independent garages. Many also sell to the public. Prices lower for similar quality to bigger retailers.
Last edited by George613 on Jul 13th, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1452 posts
714 upvotes
George613 wrote: Around here there are auto parts robbers who sell and deliver to independent garages. Many also sell to the public. Prices lower for similar quality to bigger retailers.
You mean Jobbers?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
shabby wrote: What color? Thinking Face
Grey/silver, unfortunately. Not beige.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.