• May 17th, 2022 9:04 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2458 posts
1444 upvotes
Calgary

The Source restricting XBox Bundles to Bell Customers

Just saw in my MyBell account that they're offering the ability to purchase XBox Series X bundles to Bell Advantage customers as an exclusive offer.

Seems like a pretty shady thing to do, but was wondering if it's legal to do so. I'd think limiting it to specific customers only (being subscribers of the company that owns the store) could be monopolistic.

Edit - "Monopolistic" was definitely not the right word (that's what I get for typing this so early).
Images
  • Screenshot_20220514-030826_MyBell.jpg
Last edited by Devhux on May 14th, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5586 posts
5799 upvotes
GTA
This sort of sale isn't new for consoles. GameStop often forces customers to buy a bunch of their accessories with a console, they've done that in the past and are doing it again. This gen, Sony directly offers consoles by invitation only, and I'm not entirely sure how you could get one of those invites. In the US, BestBuy has a paid membership program that allows you access to consoles before they go on general sale, so they also set aside a bunch for paying members only.
Quite honestly though, the XSX seems to be in stock more often than the PS5 ever is, so I don't see this as a huge issue.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6494 posts
6782 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
No, it is not "monopolistic". It has nothing to do with a monopoly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2458 posts
1444 upvotes
Calgary
I guess I used the wrong term there.

Also, I don't have an issue (as much) of having to buy an extra controller. It would be more like restricting it to people who had an Edge Platinum or Onyx membership at GameStop
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6378 posts
6213 upvotes
Devhux wrote: I guess I used the wrong term there.

Also, I don't have an issue (as much) of having to buy an extra controller. It would be more like restricting it to people who had an Edge Platinum or Onyx membership at GameStop
Of course they could do that as well... Nothing wrong with that
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6477 posts
3484 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote: I guess I used the wrong term there.

Lots of retailers do this. Amazon offers tons of sales and discounts that are restricted to Prime members only. Stores like Hudson's Bay and Sephora (and I'm sure many others) have exclusive shopping times for VIP customers so they get first dibs on items that are expected to be popular around the holiday period. I guess the difference here is it's limited to existing customers of a related company rather than the store itself, though it's not that different from how lots of companies have exclusive deals and bundles for Costco members, even though the company isn't part of Costco.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1977 posts
668 upvotes
While I despise Bell and have not been a Bell customer for over a decade and will most likely never be one again, in this case there's nothing wrong or shady with a business offering exclusives to their customers, even though Bell is the undisputed King of Shady.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)