• May 11th, 2019 8:29 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7156 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
TransporterSD wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 7:48 am
Not to hijack the thread, how can I download my Amazon books to koobo reader? I tried looking for files without any luck. I do have the right software to make the book "compatible" outside of Amazon echo system.
Calibre. Honestly, you must not have looked very hard.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
3445 posts
3202 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 11:38 am
Calibre. Honestly, you must not have looked very hard.
I used that for borrowing books from toronto library, but with Amazon, I am not sure where the book is saved in order for it to be dropped into calibre.
Please DON'T PM me for SPC codes, kindly ask for them in the Samsung thread's (HOT DEALS) section and I will respond with one.
Dec 17, 2017
421 posts
417 upvotes
when does this deal expire for Staples and Indigo?
Last edited by HailHydra on Apr 24th, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 26, 2016
70 posts
25 upvotes
HailHydra wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 2:07 pm
when does this deal expire?
if only there was a way to figure this out for yourself...
Oct 19, 2012
159 posts
75 upvotes
Montr
Be careful if you have this plugged into your computer while playing CSGO it can inject cheats into your game!
Dec 17, 2017
421 posts
417 upvotes
mike017 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 2:19 pm
if only there was a way to figure this out for yourself...
I meant for Staples and Indigio.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1844 posts
627 upvotes
TO
Probably the same time as the source, either they all price matches one another or its a rakuten promo. Either way, I'd expect them all to go back up at the same time.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3885 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, ordered on from staples and applied $20 OFF $75 coupon, $112.99 tax incl.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Feb 26, 2018
3 posts
Vancouver
zdpz wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 10:14 am
I would also like to know more people's thoughts on this comparison. One user mentioned waterproof, but aside from that what other differences.
Kobo has "Comfortlight Pro" to make the screen light tone warmer at night (easier on the eyes). I find that feature more useful than waterproof. Pretty happy with my Clara tbh.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1600 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
zdpz wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 10:14 am
I would also like to know more people's thoughts on this comparison. One user mentioned waterproof, but aside from that what other differences.
I have both the latest Paperwhite and the Clara HD. The Clara HD is smaller and feels cheaper than the Kindle, in my opinion. On the other hand, the Kobo uses ePub which has its advantages. If you have a large a Kindle library many, if not most, books will not easily move over to the Kobo ( despite Calibre, etc...). Amazon has made it much harder lately.

As far as reading goes, both readers are comparable. If you use the library, then the Kobo is far more convenient. The Canadian Amazon Kindle store is still lacking compared to the US one. It is getting better though.

It’s a hard choice to make, especially in Canada. If I were forced to say I’d have to give the edge to Kobo.
Feb 23, 2017
184 posts
98 upvotes
Can I use my Virgin coupon on here ? I don't see anywhere to type a promo code.
Nov 30, 2010
118 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver
I have only owned Kindles, but would be open to switching over. Can you add books to the device by email (or somehow wirelessly) like the Kindle does? I use that all the time.

Kobo has support for the Overdrive ebook lending system used by many libraries. I would really like this feature as currently I get a DRM-protected ePub file from the library site, Calibre does magic to it to make it free, then I convert to Kindle format and then wirelessly send it to the Kindle. It's a lot of steps.

For me the waterproofing is key though. I have a long and sordid history with dropping and knocking Kindles into the bath. The Kobo Aura H2O waterproof one is a bit outside my budget at the moment.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1859 posts
1450 upvotes
TransporterSD wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 12:59 pm
I used that for borrowing books from toronto library, but with Amazon, I am not sure where the book is saved in order for it to be dropped into calibre.
On most Windows computers, the Kindle app stores its local library in the folder:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Kindle Content

To remove DRM and import the files into Calibre, follow these instructions (you will need a certain plugin):
https://www.geoffstratton.com/remove-dr ... ndle-books
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1844 posts
627 upvotes
TO
imonkey wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 3:02 am
I have only owned Kindles, but would be open to switching over. Can you add books to the device by email (or somehow wirelessly) like the Kindle does? I use that all the time.

Kobo has support for the Overdrive ebook lending system used by many libraries. I would really like this feature as currently I get a DRM-protected ePub file from the library site, Calibre does magic to it to make it free, then I convert to Kindle format and then wirelessly send it to the Kindle. It's a lot of steps.

For me the waterproofing is key though. I have a long and sordid history with dropping and knocking Kindles into the bath. The Kobo Aura H2O waterproof one is a bit outside my budget at the moment.
It doesn't send by email. I found that the Calibre conversion is much higher quality than the one Amazon does when sending ebooks by email though. And if you have Calibre open to remove the DRM, you might as well use Calibre to transfer the ebook IMO; it takes an extra 10 seconds. The Kobo does receive your Pocket articles wirelessly though if that's something you use.
Wins
2015: 69.99$