Food & Drink

Sourcing & Roasting your own coffee beans at home

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 10:10 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16641 posts
4372 upvotes
Stuck in a Box

Sourcing & Roasting your own coffee beans at home

Hi folks,

I have searched on RFD and didn't actually end up finding a proper thread on coffee beans. They say, sourcing green coffee beans and roasting them yourself is about 40-50% cheaper than buying your own fresh roasted coffee. Do we have any at-home coffee roasters around to validate this?

Roasting methods:

1. Skillet


2. Air Pop-Corn Popper


3. At-Home Roasting Machines
Many.
9 replies
Member
Mar 16, 2007
437 posts
309 upvotes
GTA
i roast my own coffee in small batches using a modified popcorn machine. I bought most my my beans from this site: https://buycoffeecanada.com/collections ... ffee-beans. I don't think it is much cheaper to roast your own beans but to me, this is more like a hobbit and I can try various types of beans.

It needs some trial and error to hit a consistent roast level each time. I did mine roasting outdoors and temperature swings play a big part. I roast about 90 grams of raw beans each time and being the only coffee drinker in my house that last me about 5 days.
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2010
139 posts
105 upvotes
Halifax
I roast mine in a whirly-pop popcorn maker. works perfect. I got some 1lb bags from my local coffee roaster for $10-$11. if i look around and buy a greater quantity i can get it for cheaper but i'd rather not roast huge batches and have it sitting around. I don't think you'll be hitting your 50%. It's really not much cheaper especially if you buy some equipment and burn a batch or two. but it's fun to do and you can make great coffee.

it also makes good gifts. people always love getting getting home roasted coffee.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16641 posts
4372 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
steva11 wrote: I roast mine in a whirly-pop popcorn maker. works perfect. I got some 1lb bags from my local coffee roaster for $10-$11. if i look around and buy a greater quantity i can get it for cheaper but i'd rather not roast huge batches and have it sitting around. I don't think you'll be hitting your 50%. It's really not much cheaper especially if you buy some equipment and burn a batch or two. but it's fun to do and you can make great coffee.

it also makes good gifts. people always love getting getting home roasted coffee.
Any particular brand and any tips?
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2010
139 posts
105 upvotes
Halifax
check this out. the only place i know that carries wirly pops is bed bath and beyond and they're around 25 bucks but you can find a 20% coupon when you sign up for their newsletter.

https://thecaptainscoffee.com/pages/how ... hirley-pop

try a local coffee shop that roasts their own coffee. they'll probably sell you a small batch of green beans for cheap and you can give it a try. it's pretty fun lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20684 posts
6100 upvotes
GTA
steva11 wrote: I roast mine in a whirly-pop popcorn maker. works perfect. I got some 1lb bags from my local coffee roaster for $10-$11. if i look around and buy a greater quantity i can get it for cheaper but i'd rather not roast huge batches and have it sitting around. I don't think you'll be hitting your 50%. It's really not much cheaper especially if you buy some equipment and burn a batch or two. but it's fun to do and you can make great coffee.

it also makes good gifts. people always love getting getting home roasted coffee.

Wow, thanks! My single use Whirly-Pop just became a dual use appliance ahaha.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17557 posts
12287 upvotes
Markham
Roasting coffee may or may not be cheaper...depends on what you buy currently. Most coffee you buy at Costco will be cheaper than your own roasted green beans.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

If you're buying larger quantities which you can as they are green beans, you'll get better pricing. BTW better to not roast coffee beans INSIDE the house...Just sayin.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2010
139 posts
105 upvotes
Halifax
coriolis wrote: Wow, thanks! My single use Whirly-Pop just became a dual use appliance ahaha.
yeah they make wicked coffee and wicked popcorn lol. but after coffee you won't wanna use it for popcorn again cause the coffee really burns itself into it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16641 posts
4372 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
gr8dlr wrote: Roasting coffee may or may not be cheaper...depends on what you buy currently. Most coffee you buy at Costco will be cheaper than your own roasted green beans.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

If you're buying larger quantities which you can as they are green beans, you'll get better pricing. BTW better to not roast coffee beans INSIDE the house...Just sayin.
I heard lol
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2010
139 posts
105 upvotes
Halifax
weedb0y wrote: I heard lol
I roast mine inside on the stove. I just keep the windows open then take it outside with a couple mesh strainers to pass back and forth to get the chaff off.

Top