Food & Drink

Sous vide food container - cheap deals??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 7:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13761 posts
3122 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

Sous vide food container - cheap deals??

I know the ones they on sell on amazon but the prices are ridic for basically plastic polycarbonate container. Anywhere to get them cheap or similar type food containers?? Saw one at walmart 18Q but too big. If it was 12Q would be fine. Basically any hard plastic container will do.. measurements 7"-8" height x 12" long x 10" inch wide or thereabouts. Looked at most places online nothing similar. Best place to purchase food containers?? Pots are way expensive and not worth it if you are an occasional sous vider and not 4-5 times a week, lol. Ones I have arent tall enuff.

Something like this. No name is fine.

Rubbermaid food container
https://www.amazon.ca/Rubbermaid-Commer ... _dp_3&th=1
Last edited by aznnorth on Jul 14th, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
29 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17928 posts
12618 upvotes
Markham
Agreed on the high prices for these.

I had a BST post a few years ago for used 12qt Cambro containers. If you were GTA area, could have sold you one.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6681 posts
1417 upvotes
I use a big pot that I have because the plastic containers are too $ for my taste lol. Perhaps you could find a cheap, large pot at a second hand store?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1478 posts
285 upvotes
Grimsby
I bought a white waste basket at Dollerama, $2 or 3 can't remember now. It is 9.5 inches high by 7.5 wide and reasonably sturdy.

As my food is wrapped I do not feel there is any health risk.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7123 posts
4408 upvotes
Between Countries
Coleman Frankencooler. Cheaper than Rubbermaid or Cambro. Insulated. Has lid. No evaporation. Works terrific.
400x400_smart_fit.jpg
400x400_smart_fit (2).jpg
400x400_smart_fit (1).jpg
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13761 posts
3122 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Dropped by walmart and what do you know.. they have those black speckled granitewear pots that have been around for decades. In-store sale for $19.99/12 qt. Exactly fits my specs. 8.5" high, about a 10.75" diameter. Last time I saw one of those was 8-9 yrs old watching my gramma make pork bone soup. Grabbed one.
Images
  • pot.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I use my Instant Pot.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
A cooler like the person who posted ahead of me is your best option, provided you are willing and able to cut a hole in the lid yourself. A cooler will massively save on the energy use during sous vide. There are websites that actually tests these things and if you sous vide in a cooler with a sealed lid, it can lead to ~30% less energy use each time, compared to using an open lidless plastic container.
May 12, 2014
969 posts
765 upvotes
Markham, ON
Using a cooler saves so much energy, water and stress. After using the cooler, the space where I sous vide is no longer humid when cooking and I'm not worried about water running low from long cooks.
Images
  • 000.jpg
Oct 10, 2004
904 posts
197 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bobberts wrote: Using a cooler saves so much energy, water and stress. After using the cooler, the space where I sous vide is no longer humid when cooking and I'm not worried about water running low from long cooks.
This is my setup as well. Great for all the reasons stated plus I keep mine on my workbench. There's no need to have this using up space in my kitchen.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7123 posts
4408 upvotes
Between Countries
badOne wrote: A cooler like the person who posted ahead of me is your best option, provided you are willing and able to cut a hole in the lid yourself. A cooler will massively save on the energy use during sous vide. There are websites that actually tests these things and if you sous vide in a cooler with a sealed lid, it can lead to ~30% less energy use each time, compared to using an open lidless plastic container.
Bobberts wrote: Using a cooler saves so much energy, water and stress. After using the cooler, the space where I sous vide is no longer humid when cooking and I'm not worried about water running low from long cooks.
velomane wrote: This is my setup as well. Great for all the reasons stated plus I keep mine on my workbench. There's no need to have this using up space in my kitchen.
Agreed. Everyone who does sous vide should have a larger cooking vessel like a cooler. Use a small 12qt pot for small cooks for sure but this will quickly become very limiting. The pot will hold about two chicken breasts or steaks. It can not comfortably hold racks of ribs, pork picnic roast, roast beef, full pork loin, brisket, etc, plus there are the thermal retention and water evaporation issues for longer cooks. Using only a pot, IMO, is severely limiting what can be done with sous vide. My long-cook setup sits comfortably and quietly in the basement for when I need to do those 30-hr cooks.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1435 posts
549 upvotes
North York
I'm lucky in that our office gets vaccines shipped in thick styrofoam boxes. I have 2 different sized boxes that I just cut a hole in the lid to fit my Anova. Seems to keep the water hotter for much longer as well since it's insulated, plus zero water evaporation since it has a lid. I leave mine on the floor.

I've seen some camping stores sell them as well, as styrofoam coolers.

Cdn tire has this one for $15

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/styr ... p.html#srp
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13761 posts
3122 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
UPDATE: The budget set up. lol. I got the budget granitewear 12QT pot from walmart and put the amazon cellar silicone lid for pots. Instant Pot sous vid machine ($99 bux) over paying nearly double or more for Anova's line. Primarily using it for red meats, chicken, fish.. so dont need it for rack of ribs and such. I only sous vid maybe 3-4 times a month so not a heavy user at all.
Images
  • IMG_1155(Edited).jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4240 posts
1778 upvotes
Scarborough
Not gonna drill a hole on a perfectly multi functional cooler. Might as well just use a regular pot and plastic wrap 2-3 layers and you're good as gold. Sometimes simple is better.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: UPDATE: The budget set up. lol. I got the budget granitewear 12QT pot from walmart and put the amazon cellar silicone lid for pots. Instant Pot sous vid machine ($99 bux) over paying nearly double or more for Anova's line. Primarily using it for red meats, chicken, fish.. so dont need it for rack of ribs and such. I only sous vid maybe 3-4 times a month so not a heavy user at all.
You might as well heat up the initial pot water using an oven stovetop while you;'re at it to speed things up, if you're using that container.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
royaljelly wrote: I'm lucky in that our office gets vaccines shipped in thick styrofoam boxes. I have 2 different sized boxes that I just cut a hole in the lid to fit my Anova. Seems to keep the water hotter for much longer as well since it's insulated, plus zero water evaporation since it has a lid. I leave mine on the floor.

I've seen some camping stores sell them as well, as styrofoam coolers.

Cdn tire has this one for $15

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/styr ... p.html#srp
And you trust a Styrofoam container not to leak all that water? It's not a long term solution because Styrofoam containers can crack. Would really suck if it damaged your floor that way.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13761 posts
3122 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
badOne wrote: You might as well heat up the initial pot water using an oven stovetop while you;'re at it to speed things up, if you're using that container.
True... but putting hot tap water does the same thing. My hot water runs around 109-110F. For steak I set the sous vide to 131F. Takes 10 minutes to reach temp. No 1 said you have to start with cold tap water. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7669 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: UPDATE: The budget set up. lol. I got the budget granitewear 12QT pot from walmart and put the amazon cellar silicone lid for pots. Instant Pot sous vid machine ($99 bux) over paying nearly double or more for Anova's line. Primarily using it for red meats, chicken, fish.. so dont need it for rack of ribs and such. I only sous vid maybe 3-4 times a month so not a heavy user at all.
How has the IP device performed?
I have the Anova Nano, which somehow glitched on me for a 72 hour full brisket cook.
The display was showing the temp I had set (57C) and was humming, so thought everything was good when checking on things.
Turns out it had glitched, and was actually running at 67C - no idea for how long.
I let my water cool. and have continued the cook at 57C - will find out this evening if it ruined the full brisket.

I definitely recommend converting a cooler for sous vide, especially for bigger cooks.
For my first year, I used a pot, but eventually went to a restaurant supply store and bought a plastic container for regular cooks.

I'm very disappointed with my Anova Nano. I've already replaced it once (the clip broke), and have to do it again (my 2 year warranty expires in December).
While it is the cheapest of their devices, its still fairly pricey when compared to various knock offs.
I don't even use it that often, and when I do, I always preheat my water, so the device is just maintaining the temp.
I had inquired to see if Anova would offer a deeper discount for either the Pro or the regular, but they pretty much blew me off.
I went with this one because I really don't need wifi, and I don't use the app or bluetooth either.
I just need something that works, and that I can trust for longer cooks.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)