Entertainment

South Park creators get a new $900 million deal, new episodes and films until 2027

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 8:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7371 posts
8069 upvotes
Toronto

South Park creators get a new $900 million deal, new episodes and films until 2027

South Park has been renewed through to season 30, with 14 original films based on the series also ordered for production.
Created by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, South Park has been a vital mainstay for Comedy Central since it began in 1997 – becoming one of the most successful animated shows of all time.

In a landmark new deal, the show is set to continue on the channel through to season 30 in 2027. This deal also includes an order for 14 original films based on the show for the US streaming service Paramount+.

The order comes after two hour-long South Park specials were released over the course of the pandemic, titled ‘The Pandemic Special’ and ‘South ParQ Vaccination Special’, with the former nominated for Outstanding Animated Program at the 2021 Primetime Emmy Awards.
from https://www.nme.com/news/tv/south-park- ... ms-3012084

Anybody still watch South Park?

Happy Birthday, Cartman!
12 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10681 posts
3081 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dhanushan wrote: South Park has been renewed through to season 30, with 14 original films based on the series also ordered for production.

from https://www.nme.com/news/tv/south-park- ... ms-3012084

Anybody still watch South Park?

Happy Birthday, Cartman!
lately who hasn't?

"the show is set to continue on the channel through to season 30 in 2027. This deal also includes an order for 14 original films"

That's 900 million bucks worth of USA grade tegridy!!

Jan 29, 2017
123 posts
97 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
What I don't understand is how South Park has survived in today's overly PC environment? Where everyone is actually EAGER to be offended by something so they can spout of on social media....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6930 upvotes
The NORTH
Angellz wrote: What I don't understand is how South Park has survived in today's overly PC environment? Where everyone is actually EAGER to be offended by something so they can spout of on social media....
I think that's the point of South Park. For every SJW or Karen our there you must have a hundred other people sick of tip toeing around political correctness... I doubt the viewership of South Park is growing much but the fans that it has are not changing the channel. It's kinda like a guilty pleasure, like a glass of good scotch, a toke on some good weed or just speeding because F the man (not all at the same time!!).
Jan 29, 2017
123 posts
97 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
kr0zet wrote: I think that's the point of South Park. For every SJW or Karen our there you must have a hundred other people sick of tip toeing around political correctness... I doubt the viewership of South Park is growing much but the fans that it has are not changing the channel. It's kinda like a guilty pleasure, like a glass of good scotch, a toke on some good weed or just speeding because F the man (not all at the same time!!).
Hey don't get me wrong! I'm here for all of it. I'm an OG SP watcher so I totally get it. It just boggles my mind sometimes is all.

Now I'm off for my scotch, soak and toke. Have a great weekend!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
20787 posts
6584 upvotes
I got introduced to the series when I was working for Walmart back in 2000 before anyone else where I was knew about it. I used to bring tapes to work and loan them out to people to watch. It became very popular among them. Flash forward 20 years and i don't think I've watched an episode in the 11 years I have been living in my new house. So, in response to who isn't watching the show? Me...
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10237 posts
2197 upvotes
Victoria
DougO wrote: I got introduced to the series when I was working for Walmart back in 2000 before anyone else where I was knew about it. I used to bring tapes to work and loan them out to people to watch. It became very popular among them. Flash forward 20 years and i don't think I've watched an episode in the 11 years I have been living in my new house. So, in response to who isn't watching the show? Me...
My first encounter with South Park was "The Spirit of Christmas". It's the first viral video that I can remember, except there was no streaming back then. Everyone saw it because they shared the video file, which was pretty impressive for later 90's technology.

I watch the TV show for the first bunch of seasons.. then parted ways, but started watching again a number of years ago. I still enjoy it (most of the time). It's seasons are so short it's not a huge time commitment :)
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1105 posts
341 upvotes
Regina, SK
Angellz wrote: What I don't understand is how South Park has survived in today's overly PC environment? Where everyone is actually EAGER to be offended by something so they can spout of on social media....
I think the people who would be offended by South Park are simply ignorant of it due to it being a cartoon with "stylized" animation. They have no desire to watch it because they already do not like how it looks or sounds. Complaints carry less weight when you have nothing substantive to say. Anytime South Park seems to have a controversial moment pop up in news/social media it doesn't stick around long in the headlines.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7371 posts
8069 upvotes
Toronto
Behind the $935M ‘South Park’ Deal: How Trey Parker, Matt Stone Keep Cashing In

A 2007 contract with Comedy Central that negotiated a 50-50 split on "digital rights," including an ad-sharing deal, helped set the stage for rich pacts with WarnerMedia and ViacomCBS.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 234995748/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7371 posts
8069 upvotes
Toronto
"Speaking during the Paramount+ panel at the Television Critics Association panel, Chief Programming Officer ViacomCBS Streaming Tanya Giles confirmed that the first two of these South Park movies will debut before the end of 2020 with two more coming every year through 2027."

Paramount+ Confirms Two New South Park Movies Coming This Year
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10681 posts
3081 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dhanushan wrote: "Speaking during the Paramount+ panel at the Television Critics Association panel, Chief Programming Officer ViacomCBS Streaming Tanya Giles confirmed that the first two of these South Park movies will debut before the end of 2020 with two more coming every year through 2027."

Paramount+ Confirms Two New South Park Movies Coming This Year