Space Force - new Netflix comedy starring Steve Carrell. May 29

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 10:23 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9394 posts
1536 upvotes
Victoria
I'm up to episode 3. I'm enjoying it a little, but it has stuff other than the humour to keep me interested. It feels like there's some heart to it. You expect him to flub then he gives an excellent speech on why you should spend 10 million to send an orange to space.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13696 posts
4839 upvotes
Ottawa
Watched the whole thing

It wasn't great by any stretch but there are some laugh out loud moments but also falls flat in large stretches. Some episodes were more consistently funny than others, and
I liked the silliness of the situation(s) portrayed in some of the episodes
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
May 26, 2011
761 posts
159 upvotes
Montreal
I couldn't get through the first episode, a big thumbs down for me.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40812 posts
6274 upvotes
Loved all episodes of it, especially episode 10. Also man, what were the directors/producers thinking. China knocking down the American flag on the moon and they reversed back too.
Proud to be an Indian.
Mar 31, 2017
6163 posts
2636 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Watched the whole thing

It wasn't great by any stretch but there are some laugh out loud moments but also falls flat in large stretches. Some episodes were more consistently funny than others, and
I liked the silliness of the situation(s) portrayed in some of the episodes
"It's good to be black on the moon." was really funny.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2021 posts
436 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
Dont like how carrell changes his voice sometimes. Its annoying. Especially when you can hear his actual voice come through.

Malkovich is great in it.

Im only starting the 5th episode. I like it and will watch if theres a second season but. Ot something i can watch multie times
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
10266 posts
107 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'm up to episode 5 and quite like it. It's not really a comedy but rather a farce I think.

Steve Carrell definitely has some Micheal Scott moments but those are few and far between. John Malkovich is awesome. The supporting cast is good and quirky and in case nobody else noticed, the red haired soldier is the guy who played the concierge in Upload. :lol:
Three more episodes tonight, the rest on Thursday and then my next series is The Plot Against America where Lindbergh wins the presidency and aligns with Nazi Germany in WW2. I love alternate history.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1269 posts
266 upvotes
Tried watching it. Got thru half of the first episode before I had to turn it off. Great cast, but not funny. At all. Really bad actually. And I like all the actors in it, so I am disappoint.
Jan 13, 2007
446 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I've just finished watching all 10 episodes and while I enjoy the show, there are definitely areas where I think can be improved. I thought this article did a very fair job at summarizing some key areas which I agree with:

https://nerdist.com/article/how-space-f ... -season-2/

Similar to "The Office", hopefully after this 1st season, they figure out what worked well, what didn't and what things they should change.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10326 posts
6624 upvotes
GTA, ON
Captain Ali is a good character, as is scientist Chan. They could do with less of the PR character (Tony?), found his character to be annoying and not really funny. All the generals are good. The daughter could use improvement. Found that she's too whiny and really upsets the dynamic of the show.

If there is a season 2 they need to work out the comedy as far too many parts go flat. Episode 10 was far most the best, and then I'd say episode 9.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13696 posts
4839 upvotes
Ottawa
the show needs some fine tuning, but I think it could be a very good show....all the ingredients are there, they just have to pare down what didn't work. Even some of the best comedies didn't get their groove until a season or two later.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14413 posts
15219 upvotes
The best case is that this inspires interests in Space Force, NASA, SpaceX, and the next era in Space Development.

The pilot was apparently garbage though, so we'll see.

If it's another Trump-Bad satire, it may be another Yawn-Fest on the road to cancellation.

Here's hoping something inspirational comes from all this.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1462 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
I watched the first season, and I thought it was only okay. I liked John Malkovich, but I don't like how Steve Carrell and his staff are all idiots. Earlier on, it showed Steve Carrell was a bit silly but deep down he had good qualities of a general. Later on, it became more of the former and less of the latter.

And I don't really care for the conflict with China.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: RTX 2080 Super RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM StormTrooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q