• May 17th, 2017 10:34 am
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2118 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
snow00774 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 6:17 pm
We rented a car in Spain 2 years ago and no idp needed.
Rental agencies don't require it, but the authorities do.
May 7, 2017
347 posts
161 upvotes
I worked at CAA and in the summer that I worked we had one guy arrested because the Greece authorities thought it was fake documents...

Sooo it's a hit or miss with them. I would spend he $38 for peace of mind but it is a useless written document
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
750 posts
140 upvotes
BeanFinn wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:12 pm
12k for a trip to Spain and Portugal <- LOL
I think that anyone can do what they want with their money. Travelling is something we really enjoy, you can laugh about it but at the end it's still our money.

26 days in the heart of summer for 4 travellers in Europe....find me something really cheaper than 12 k.

The same lenght trip in Germany and Austria cost us a bit more than 11k last year.
Feb 8, 2017
424 posts
215 upvotes
tostaky wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:15 pm
I think that anyone can do what they want with their money. Travelling is something we really enjoy, you can laugh about it but at the end it's still our money.

26 days in the heart of summer for 4 travellers in Europe....find me something really cheaper than 12 k.

The same lenght trip in Germany and Austria cost us a bit more than 11k last year.
i'm with you. when i go on vacation i don't worry about scrimping and not doing stuff i want to do to save a few bucks. the whole point of going somewhere is to enjoy yourself and have good experiences, not worry about every cent. the cost is the cost and if people are that worried about money maybe they shouldn't go on vacation, or at the very least comment on what someone else pays.
May 7, 2017
347 posts
161 upvotes
I leave next week to Asia and paid $6000 for three weeks. Hotels and Business class seats (PEK/HKG/ICN/HND/HKT/REP/HAN). Im just amazed people still pay that much for travelling. Especially when TAP had flights for $500 RT in the dead of summer. $248 one way back to Canada.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
750 posts
140 upvotes
good thing for you beanfinn but I dont think the two can be compared:

- We travel in the the heart of summer (being teacher we dont have much choices about our dates)
- Asia and Europe doen't cost the same
- We are 4
- Sionce we are travelling with kids we wre looking for direct flight.
- Our flight with Transat ( Yul - Bcn and return Lis-Yul) cost us 3600$ (include in the 12k budget) which is not that bad in july-august,
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
750 posts
140 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 9:28 am
i'm with you. when i go on vacation i don't worry about scrimping and not doing stuff i want to do to save a few bucks. the whole point of going somewhere is to enjoy yourself and have good experiences, not worry about every cent. the cost is the cost and if people are that worried about money maybe they shouldn't go on vacation, or at the very least comment on what someone else pays.
And we don,t have luxury taste. But travelling with kids double the plane price for start. Finding accomodation in hotel that suits 4 people in Europe is not obvious or really expensive and that's why we tend to go for Airbnb and such. We loke good fancy food but with kids we wont go in fancy expensive resturant. But yes we dont really look to save money at all cost when travelling.